Lions need better formula to do ‘battle’ next season

http://altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/527666.html?nav=746

Could have 1 or 2 scholarships available ??? Can’t hurt

Sorry, but losing either Jones or Jackson would hurt a lot.

[quote="battlesway2, post:2, topic:934"]Could have 1 or 2 scholarships available ??? Can't hurt[/quote]

Agreed, could it be Ott and/or Highberger?

[quote="battlesway2, post:2, topic:934"]Could have 1 or 2 scholarships available ??? Can't hurt[/quote]

maybe it’s not them. could be a few diff people. those 1 or 2 scholarships could be huge. JUCO big man is a must

Agreed, could it be Ott and/or Highberger?

I highly doubt that Highberger would get a scholarship next season unless we had several transfers and couldn’t fill them all. He’s basically keeping Buie’s scholarship warm this season until he arrives.

Unfortunately, Oliver and his concussion problem could be a prime candidate to give it up.

[quote=“Smitty, post:7, topic:934”]Unfortunately, Oliver and his concussion problem could be a prime candidate to give it up.[/quote]That’s what I was thinking. Doesn’t seem to be having much luck with that.

Interesting, indeed.

I’d really hate to lose any of our guys before they fulfill their eligibility. Although Jones hasn’t played up to his potential I think the light switch has turned on with him and Brooks the last 6 games. Both have been playing with more energy. And if it is DJ that is a HUGE LOSS. Both DJ & AJ would be eligible to graduate this spring, I don’t know how close either of them are to completing their course work.

Would really hate it to be Billy Oliver since he hasn’t had anything except bad luck since he’s signed. But I would also rather see him not get injured further. There is much more at stake with him other than W’s & L’s and ppg and rpg.

Although I would love to get another big into the mix, I would not like it to be at the expense of losing one of our guys early. All have been real good ambassadors of the Penn State community.

Unusual for a fifth year kid who was a starter (DJ and AJ) to NOT come back.
Oliver (health reasons) or an young transfer (who was not getting much PT) would seem be most likey BUT then why did Ed mention "graduate?"
Remember, always interesting to watch for transfers from other D1 schools. Yeah, I know they must sit a year BUT sometimes the player is too good to pass up.

[quote=“tundra, post:11, topic:934”]Unusual for a fifth year kid who was a starter (DJ and AJ) to NOT come back.
Oliver (health reasons) or an young transfer (who was not getting much PT) would seem be most likey BUT then why did Ed mention "graduate?"
Remember, always interesting to watch for transfers from other D1 schools. Yeah, I know they must sit a year BUT sometimes the player is too good to pass up.[/quote]Ed knows if he’s back next year that his job is on the line. He must win .

Hasn’t Kurt been missing from several of the last few games ? I was thinking 2

If we have 1 scholly free up I doubt it would be a transfer. We have been saying we are pretty close with Taran coming in and Marshall playing next year, but that was with all the others coming back. If we lose a big next year and don’t replace them that makes a situation of weakness even more week.

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:13, topic:934”]If we have 1 scholly free up I doubt it would be a transfer. We have been saying we are pretty close with Taran coming in and Marshall playing next year, but that was with all the others coming back. If we lose a big next year and don’t replace them that makes a situation of weakness even more week.[/quote]I would rephrase that

Every game I wonder out loud why Cameron Woodyard would return. Just a guess on my part, but his future does not look bright.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:13, topic:934"]If we have 1 scholly free up I doubt it would be a transfer. [b]We [/b] have been saying we are pretty close with Taran coming in and Marshall playing next year, but that was with all the others coming back. If we lose a big next year and don't replace them that makes a situation of weakness even more week.[/quote]I would rephrase that
OK some of us have said.

[quote=“hoopla, post:15, topic:934”]Every game I wonder out loud why Cameron Woodyard would return. Just a guess on my part, but his future does not look bright.[/quote]He shows glimpses and then you don’t see him for a game or two. I know we don’t see what happens at practice but I do know the way they use him during the games will never help him find any kind of rhythm or confidence

Well now that this article gives a reason to speculate…

I’ve always expected at least 1 scholarship to open up for this year

-A decision has to be made on Oliver, if they can’t diagnose him and he can’t play, that scholarship has to open up
-I hate singling good kids out, but if I’m Cam Woodyard, I’m wondering how the hell am I going to get playing time the last 2 years of my career here. He’s only averaging 8.8 MPG this year and we have two new 2-guards next year.

This article quotes ED saying ‘a couple kids could graduate’. The only player I think that could apply to is Andrew Ott. I would be SHOCKED if it’s Jackson or Jones. I’ve always thought Ott could be gone after this year. He’s had 5 years of schooling (albeit at 2 schools), so you’d think he’s got to be near or at graduation. Does he want to commit to another year of basketball for 10 MPG or not?

Either way, if a scholarship opens up, I don’t expect it to be an impact player (unless you consider Ott to be one).

What some of us fail to realize is that some guys use basketball or football or whatever sport to get a degree that will help them for the rest of their lives. Not every athlete is going to the pros. When they get out of school they have 0 student loans and a degree. Not bad if you have the athletic ability to stay on a team for 4 or 5 years.

Boom, I was just going to post this. Woodyard was all set to go to Youngstown St. before he ED called an he went to PSU. I doubt Woodyard is banking on becoming the next Carmelo Anthony. IIRC he’s one of the first, if not the first in his family to go to college. I doubt he would want to give up getting a good degree at PSU for some playing time.