PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Lion's Den article on Peter Alexis

Nate is truly a basketball junkie. I enjoy his articles.

http://bwi.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1205861

Awesome to hear that he has great hands.

From some video I’ve seen, I think his coach nails it. He has the moves, the hands and the basketball awareness. He needs to improve his strength and quickness. That will come with hard work. We’ll see how badly he wants it.

For a big guy the couple of times I saw him his hands were very good and he was very active on the boards.

Honestly, if he can defend the post and rebound that is all I need from him next year. Anything more is gravy.

That’s what Jones was able to give up. Plus a few baskets here or there. I hope Pete will give us some positive contribution.

Honestly, if he can defend the post and rebound that is all I need from him next year. Anything more is gravy.

That’s what Jones was able to give up. Plus a few baskets here or there. I hope Pete will give us some positive contribution.

I think Peter will give us a lot more offense than Jones did. He already seems to have more offensive ability than Jones ever had. I hope he can play defense and rebound the way Andrew did.

Big Ten Centers
Sullinger 17.2 10.1
Johnson 20.2 8.6
Leuer 18.3 7.2
Morgan 9.2 5.4
Tisdale 10.0 6.5
Jones 6.0 5.6
Green 12.6 8.6
Mirkovic 7.4 5.2
Sampson 10.2 5.4
Cole 8.0 6.3
Watford 16 5.4

Comparison of what the Centers did this year. Andrew was lowest in ppg and middle of pack in rpg. If we get 6 and 6 out of Peter next year I’d be ecstatic but I would hope for more like 6 and 8.

What I’m really hoping for is a center who can get a defensive rebound and hit the outlet man so we can run, run, run.

I expect Sasa to play the 5 next year. If Alexis contributes 15min a game that would probably be good.

One of the biggest adjustments is learning how to play against similarly large and skilled competition without fouling. I think that will be the toughest adjustment for Peter. If he can learn to play positionally and not get into excessive foul trouble instantly, I think that will be a win. He’s never had to play daily against people his size, so he’ll have to learn to play a different style of defense. That’s going to take some time.

Based on our depth, I think he will play, but I also expect 5-10 minutes per game from him… and on some nights he may use all 5 of his fouls in that time.

[quote=“ronb89, post:11, topic:2275”]One of the biggest adjustments is learning how to play against similarly large and skilled competition without fouling. I think that will be the toughest adjustment for Peter. If he can learn to play positionally and not get into excessive foul trouble instantly, I think that will be a win. He’s never had to play daily against people his size, so he’ll have to learn to play a different style of defense. That’s going to take some time.

Based on our depth, I think he will play, but I also expect 5-10 minutes per game from him… and on some nights he may use all 5 of his fouls in that time.[/quote]

I don’t think a lot of people really understand this point.

It takes a LOT of experience for a big to play effectively in the BIG TEN. It took Andrew Jones several seasons.

Anyone who expects Alexis to step in as a freshman and make an impact is kidding themselves.

I agree. That’s why next year he needs to learn how to play post D and rebound. Do that and he’ll get minutes and help the team. He’s got four years to develop his offense, but D and rebounding come first for a center.

[b]One of the biggest adjustments is learning how to play against similarly large and skilled competition without fouling. [/b] I think that will be the toughest adjustment for Peter. If he can learn to play positionally and not get into excessive foul trouble instantly, I think that will be a win. He's never had to play daily against people his size, so he'll have to learn to play a different style of defense. That's going to take some time.

Based on our depth, I think he will play, but I also expect 5-10 minutes per game from him… and on some nights he may use all 5 of his fouls in that time.

It takes a LOT of experience for a big to play effectively in the BIG TEN. It took Andrew Jones several seasons.

Anyone who expects Alexis to step in as a freshman and make an impact is kidding themselves.

Sullinger did it. ;D

[quote="ronb89, post:11, topic:2275"][b]One of the biggest adjustments is learning how to play against similarly large and skilled competition without fouling. [/b] I think that will be the toughest adjustment for Peter. If he can learn to play positionally and not get into excessive foul trouble instantly, I think that will be a win. He's never had to play daily against people his size, so he'll have to learn to play a different style of defense. That's going to take some time.

Based on our depth, I think he will play, but I also expect 5-10 minutes per game from him… and on some nights he may use all 5 of his fouls in that time.[/quote]

Sullinger did it. ;D

Before seeing you add this little wink-wink line, I was just about to mention “That’s what makes a kid like Sullinger so impressive”.

It takes a VERY special player to be able to step in and do that in any league, let alone the big10, as a freshman.

[quote="ronb89, post:11, topic:2275"][b]One of the biggest adjustments is learning how to play against similarly large and skilled competition without fouling. [/b] I think that will be the toughest adjustment for Peter. If he can learn to play positionally and not get into excessive foul trouble instantly, I think that will be a win. He's never had to play daily against people his size, so he'll have to learn to play a different style of defense. That's going to take some time.

Sullinger did it. ;D

Before seeing you add this little wink-wink line, I was just about to mention “That’s what makes a kid like Sullinger so impressive”.

It takes a VERY special player to be able to step in and do that in any league, let alone the big10, as a freshman.

Usually, the higher the position, the tougher the transition.

I’m high on Tre Lewis. A PG is much more apt to being successful in their first season. I’m sure he’ll be fine. Marshall, Woodyard, and Bowman have a little PT under their belt. They will have some serious growing pains, but can be productive by the end fo the season.

I don’t expect a lot from Ackerman, Alexis, or even Sasa. Oliver will do OK at PF, Graham will give some false hope in the OCC until the BIG TEN centers foul him out.

Our team will be designed to minimize post play in any of it’s games. Zones on defense, perimeter shots on offense.

Some highlights from some Holy Redeemer games. I thought some of you guys might enjoy watching them.The announcer guy just cracks me up with ‘big Pete’

HR vs PET
West vs Redeemer

The second of these two videos. Tell me at 2:20 that isn’t a charge.

Great film! Thanks Bleedin!!

The one thing I noticed from the film is how much Peter banks the shots off the window. I don’t remember the last time I saw a big guy use bank shots so much.