Lickliter Out at Iowa after 3 seasons

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/3/15/1373895/todd-lickliter-iowa-fires-resigns-basketball-coach

[quote=“hoops19, post:1, topic:980”]http://www.sbnation.com/2010/3/15/1373895/todd-lickliter-iowa-fires-resigns-basketball-coach[/quote]Give them credit at least they are trying. Whether it works or not who knows but they are trying. They’ve been pretty crappy his 1st 3 seasons and there were no signs of improvement in the near future. Eddie D and Billy C. should thank their lucky stars they are at NW and PSU.

PSU has to be one of the best jobs in college hoops. Very little pressure to win and you get plenty of time.

I’m very surprised to see Charlotte get rid of Bobby Lutz and his staff.

[quote=“hoops19, post:3, topic:980”]PSU has to be one of the best jobs in college hoops. Very little pressure to win and you get plenty of time.[/quote]NW or PSU you are golden.

They started off hot and just collapsed down the stretch. They were an NCAA team for more than half the season.

[quote="psugrad83, post:4, topic:980"]I'm very surprised to see Charlotte get rid of Bobby Lutz and his staff.[/quote]

They started off hot and just collapsed down the stretch. They were an NCAA team for more than half the season.

For oldtimers out there. Anybody remember the tennis player, Bob Lutz, from the 60’s and early 70’s. Played a lot of doubles with Stan Smith.

Wow, a collegiate institution holding head coaches responsible for their record? What a novel idea! ::slight_smile:

Tim Curley really needs to set his priorities straight. Since joining the big 10, we have exactly 10 mens conference championships. In addition, Ed Dechellis has the worst conference winning percentage of any coach prior to him.

Future thread title: “Dechellis out at PSU after dying of natural causes at age 90”.

or

“Dechellis out at PSU after… too long”
;D

[quote="psugrad83, post:4, topic:980"]I'm very surprised to see Charlotte get rid of Bobby Lutz and his staff.[/quote]

Yes they tanked down the stretch but still finished 19-12, and they have 4 starters and top 3 scorers coming back next year. In 12 years Lutz took them to 5 NCAA tourneys and 3 NITs. Not bad for a school that size. I really don’t know who will do better there. Almost like Nebraska football dumping Solich for Callahan. I don’t often agree with Dickie V, but some of these schools are going crazy canning good coaches.

That sounds like DeChellis must be the worst PSU coach ever. But upon closer review, PSU has only had one other coach that was competing in the BigTen conference every year of his tenure and that was Jerry Dunn. For most of Parkhill’s career, he didn’t have to play BigTen teams.

BleedPSU, don’t you think that it’s a bit tougher to have a winning record when you play in the BigTen as opposed to the Atlantic 10? And you seem to completely ignore the fact that the BigTen increased the number of conference games to 18 a few seasons ago. So DeChellis’s teams have to play more BigTen games than Dunn or Parkhill than any coach prior to him. You think that’s gunna help his winning percentage?

It’s official per ESPN…he’s fired.

“The Hawkeyes, who had just two upperclassmen play significant minutes, finished the season 10-22 . In all, Lickliter was 38-58 with Iowa.”

Let’s see…he had 4 contract years left, lost 20 games, most of his players are returning. At PSU we would be having a parade in his honor. Maybe some of our Apologist posters should go over to the Hawkeye boards and teach those hayseeds some manners. Teach them about the new math, unlucky loses, and the joy of being “like Northwestern.”

[quote=“tundra, post:12, topic:980”]It’s official per ESPN…he’s fired.

“The Hawkeyes, who had just two upperclassmen play significant minutes, finished the season 10-22 . In all, Lickliter was 38-58 with Iowa.”[/quote]

Oh my God! Iowa has fired its coach. It must be time to turn this into a joke about PSU…

Like clockwork. The same broken record over and over again. The joy of being “like Northwestern”? ::slight_smile:

[quote="tundra, post:12, topic:980"]It's official per ESPN..........he's fired.

“The Hawkeyes, who had just two upperclassmen play significant minutes, finished the season 10-22 . In all, Lickliter was 38-58 with Iowa.”[/quote]

Oh my God! Iowa has fired its coach. It must be time to turn this into a joke about PSU…

Like clockwork. The same broken record over and over again. The joy of being “like Northwestern”? ::slight_smile:

Have to think its add fuel to the fire that iowa’s former coach is in the dance as a 3 seed this season.

It's official per ESPN..........he's fired.

“The Hawkeyes, who had just two upperclassmen play significant minutes, finished the season 10-22 . In all, Lickliter was 38-58 with Iowa.”

Let's see...........he had 4 contract years left, lost 20 games, most of his players are returning. At PSU we would be having a parade in his honor. Maybe some of our Apologist posters should go over to the Hawkeye boards and teach those hayseeds some manners. Teach them about the new math, unlucky loses, and the joy of being "like Northwestern."

Yup, and these same schleps are the ones who were saying that Penn State should have hired Lickliter 3 years ago.

I’m sure, at the time, Iowa was the blueprint for what Penn State SHOULD be doing. Funny how things come around, isn’t it? ::slight_smile:

[quote=“tundra, post:12, topic:980”]It’s official per ESPN…he’s fired.

Let’s see…he had 4 contract years left, lost 20 games, most of his players are returning. At PSU we would be having a parade in his honor. Maybe some of our Apologist posters should go over to the Hawkeye boards and teach those hayseeds some manners. Teach them about the new math, unlucky loses, and the joy of being “like Northwestern.”[/quote]
Only problem with Lickleiter is he lost players from last year’s team due to defections and there are rumors of this year’s team having some guys leave if he stayed. At this rate it would be a never ending cycle.

In addition, Ed Dechellis has the worst conference winning percentage of any coach prior to him.

That sounds like DeChellis must be the worst PSU coach ever. But upon closer review, PSU has only had one other coach that was competing in the BigTen conference every year of his tenure and that was Jerry Dunn. For most of Parkhill’s career, he didn’t have to play BigTen teams.

That’s funny. I seem to have heard somewhere recently that Ed DeChellis has improved the talent level and the recruiting at PSU. Parkhill, supposedly weaker talent, less difficult league. DeChellis, supposedly better talent, tougher league. Of course Parkhill was 17-35 (.327) in his three years in the Big Ten, while Ed is 34-93 (.268) in his seven season in the BIg Ten. Even if you take away the first two years in the Big Ten under ED (which most apologists LOVE to do), he is still 30-63 (.323), which is STILL worse than his “mentor” over the last five seasons, and all with supposed Big Ten talent!

I won’t even bring up Ed’s record vs. JD’s. :wink:

BleedPSU, don't you think that it's a bit tougher to have a winning record when you play in the BigTen as opposed to the Atlantic 10? And you seem to completely ignore the fact that the BigTen increased the number of conference games to 18 a few seasons ago. So [b]DeChellis's teams have to play more BigTen games than Dunn or Parkhill than any coach prior to him[/b]. You think that's gunna help his winning percentage?

Actually, you need to check your history a bit. In 1994-95 Parkhill coached 18 Big Ten games and in 1995-96 and 1996-97, Jerry Dunn did the same.

BTW, in those 3 seasons, Parkhill and Dunn finished with a 24-30 conference record, which included a .500 conference record in 94-95 and a 12-6 record in 95-96. Oh, and the worst record during that three year stretch, which showed only 3 wins, equals or exceeds the total number of wins that Ed has has in four of his seven seasons here.

Maybe Ed should go back to coaching in the Southern Conference if he wants to “help” his winning percentage. Too bad he coaches in the Big Ten, where ha can’t avoid all those big nasty tough Big Ten teams.

Wow. Just wow. I’m speechless.

[quote="PSUChamp08, post:11, topic:980"]And you seem to completely ignore the fact that the BigTen increased the number of conference games to 18 a few seasons ago. So DeChellis's teams have to play more BigTen games than Dunn or Parkhill than any coach prior to him. You think that's gunna help his winning percentage?[/quote]

Wow. Just wow. I’m speechless.

I think some people wish I could be too. :wink:

But then you do exactly that.

[quote=“Spike the Kool-Aid, post:17, topic:980”]Actually, you need to check your history a bit. In 1994-95 Parkhill coached 18 Big Ten games and in 1995-96 and 1996-97, Jerry Dunn did the same.

BTW, in those 3 seasons, Parkhill and Dunn finished with a 24-30 conference record, which included a .500 conference record in 94-95 and a 12-6 record in 95-96. Oh, and the worst record during that three year stretch, which showed only 3 wins, equals or exceeds the total number of wins that Ed has has in four of his seven seasons here.

Maybe Ed should go back to coaching in the Southern Conference if he wants to “help” his winning percentage. Too bad he coaches in the Big Ten, where ha can’t avoid all those big nasty tough Big Ten teams.[/quote]

See, this is why I don’t ignore you Spike, because (despite the fact that you said you wouldn’t compare DeChellis’s record to Dunn’s) this is relevant information. As far as checking my history, I don’t claim to know all facts over the past two decades of college basketball. I’ve only been alive for 3 decades, so I have no problem with you or anyone else furthering the discussion with facts like you did above. This is good and I appreciate it.

The comment that I responded to was “Ed Dechellis has the worst conference winning percentage of any coach prior to him.” This is misleading because the circumstance surrounding prior PSU coaches is different to the circumstances surrounding Jerry Dunn and DeChellis. Comparing winning percentage to PSU coaches in the 60s, 70s and 80s is like comparing apples to oranges. Prior coaches did not compete in the BigTen. How can this fact be ignored?

And that’s true that Parkhill had one 18 game BigTen season. And Dunn had two 18 game BigTen seasons. However, the first year to host the BigTen tournament was 1998. So that means over the last two seasons, DeChellis has played more BigTen games during a season than any coach in the history of PSU. Last year, DeChellis coached 20 BigTen games, this year 19. The most Dunn or Parkhill coached is 18 games. (1 18-game season for Parkhill, and 2 18-game seasons for Dunn) The fact is that teams have more scheduled BigTen games on average these days then they ever had.

With that said, that was just support from the initial statement of “Ed Dechellis has the worst conference winning percentage of any coach prior to him.” That may be true, but it’s a weak statement because that’d be like comparing a BigTen coach to a coach in a mid-major conference. It may be true to say that the coach of the mid-major conference has a better winning percentage, but the level of opposition obviously has a great deal to do with that fact.