Let's all chip in

per ESPN

OAKLAND, Calif. – The Golden State Warriors are for sale.

[quote=“tundra, post:1, topic:1026”]per ESPN

OAKLAND, Calif. – The Golden State Warriors are for sale.[/quote]

That’s going through a lot just to make sure kid loses his bet!

NBA is in trouble. I don’t really have a numbers clue of what I’m talking about, but it could be a lot worse than the NHL. The casual fan has the mentality that the NHL has no fans, is financially unstable, etc because of the recent lock out. Weren’t NHL attendance figures higher than NBA numbers from last season?

Isn’t there some kind of rumor that the NBA is going to have a lock out next season, or the one after because of a CBA or something?

I don’t follow the NBA at all… just a few random thoughts.

The NBA does however do decently on TV compared to the NHL. Not sure how that money gets spread around though, if at all.

Frankly… i’m not all that worried about the NBA. There’s too many teams, too many games, and too much drama for my taste, whether it’s real or an act. I would be much more interested in it if they shortened the season and shrunk the league.

The NHL on the other hand, I do worry about.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:4, topic:1026”]The NBA does however do decently on TV compared to the NHL. Not sure how that money gets spread around though, if at all.

Frankly… i’m not all that worried about the NBA. There’s too many teams, too many games, and too much drama for my taste, whether it’s real or an act. I would be much more interested in it if they shortened the season and shrunk the league.

The NHL on the other hand, I do worry about. [/quote]

Thats because the NBA has a deal with TNT and ESPN (?). The NHL switched from ESPN to VERSUS and occasionally NBC (games of the week). The NBA has lost a lot of its “glory” since the 90s. On the other hand, the NHL has recovered from its early 2000s lull with the emergence of Ovechkin and Crosby. The Olympics and World Juniors definitely didn’t hurt their cause.

What part of the NHL do you worry about?

The CEO of Oracle apparently wants to buy them.

Did the NHL really “switch” to Versus, or get demoted?

How about the CEO of PennStateHoops.com? My yearly contribution of $20 has to be worth something…

[quote=“noobd, post:3, topic:1026”]NBA is in trouble. I don’t really have a numbers clue of what I’m talking about, but it could be a lot worse than the NHL. The casual fan has the mentality that the NHL has no fans, is financially unstable, etc because of the recent lock out. Weren’t NHL attendance figures higher than NBA numbers from last season?

Isn’t there some kind of rumor that the NBA is going to have a lock out next season, or the one after because of a CBA or something?

I don’t follow the NBA at all… just a few random thoughts.[/quote]

I believe the lockout is coming for the 2011-2012 season.

Ironically, the NFL lockout is also slated for the 2011 season.

If the NHL does not do the same unbelievably moronic thing they did before, this should be a groundbreaking year for them. In 1994, MLB stopped playing in September and cancelled it’s plyoffs and World Series. Sports fans were hungry for something to turn to for their weeknight sports cravings. So, does the NHL welcome all those disenchanted baseball fans? No, they go on strike themselves !!! David Stern, who is not given enough credit for what he has done with the NBA, was also facing a strike by the NBA. He was able to get the two sides to play the season under an expired agreement until another could be reached. NBA continued it’s golden years, NHL continued to fade.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:4, topic:1026"]The NBA does however do decently on TV compared to the NHL. Not sure how that money gets spread around though, if at all.

The NHL on the other hand, I do worry about.[/quote]

Thats because the NBA has a deal with TNT and ESPN (?). The NHL switched from ESPN to VERSUS and occasionally NBC (games of the week). The NBA has lost a lot of its “glory” since the 90s. On the other hand, the NHL has recovered from its early 2000s lull with the emergence of Ovechkin and Crosby. The Olympics and World Juniors definitely didn’t hurt their cause.

What part of the NHL do you worry about?

I worry that not enough people are watching, and it’s a league I really enjoy - especially come playoff time. I just hope they don’t have another stupid lockout/strike/whatever now that the game seems to be gaining traction again.

They switched. ESPN offered them a deal at a lower rate that I believe involved some sort of profit sharing agreement, i.e. making ESPN more of an interested partner in the success of the NHL, but Bettman wasn’t interested. Versus wanted to make the NHL the focal point of its new brand, so Bettman went in that direction instead. It probably hasn’t worked out quite the way the NHL has hoped, but with Comcast in control now, who knows what will happen on the sports side of things once the NBC purchase goes through.

[quote="Tom, post:6, topic:1026"]Did the NHL really "switch" to Versus, or get demoted?[/quote]

They switched. ESPN offered them a deal at a lower rate that I believe involved some sort of profit sharing agreement, i.e. making ESPN more of an interested partner in the success of the NHL, but Bettman wasn’t interested. Versus wanted to make the NHL the focal point of its new brand, so Bettman went in that direction instead. It probably hasn’t worked out quite the way the NHL has hoped, but with Comcast in control now, who knows what will happen on the sports side of things once the NBC purchase goes through.

…as a side not (not to hijack the topic), but DirecTV just re-upped with Versus. They were off the air on DirecTV for the past few months, but they are back on !!!

[quote="Tom, post:6, topic:1026"]Did the NHL really "switch" to Versus, or get demoted?[/quote]

…as a side not (not to hijack the topic), but DirecTV just re-upped with Versus. They were off the air on DirecTV for the past few months, but they are back on !!!

There was a lot of pressure to get that done in time for the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Versus and the NHL both had a lot to lose if a deal didn’t get done.

That’s pretty close to how I understood the agreement. I heard ESPN gave a low-ball offer and insulted Bettman. So the NHL took the same offer from Versus (was it really only $60 million per year?). Comcast promised a lot of NHL on Versus that I don’t think ever materialized. But it did get Versus on the map to a degree (it was called Outdoor Life Network, or OLN, or during the Tour de France the Only Lance Network). So it probably worked out well for Comcast and not so well for the NHL.

Of course, that was all happening at about the same time ESPN was adding the NBA into their programming as well. I think ESPN was, to an extent, squeezing the NHL off the network. Between spring baseball and the NBA, there was dwindling network space available… I remember when there would be 1 or 2 games on every night during the playoffs. I’m sure the new contract offer from ESPN included a lot fewer games than in the past.

[quote="Tom, post:6, topic:1026"]The CEO of Oracle apparently wants to buy them.[/quote] How about the CEO of PennStateHoops.com? My yearly contribution of $20 has to be worth something...

Speaking of the annual contribution – isn’t that coming up soon? I remember it being sometime around the tournament.

[quote="Tom, post:6, topic:1026"]The CEO of Oracle apparently wants to buy them.[/quote] How about the CEO of PennStateHoops.com? My yearly contribution of $20 has to be worth something...

Speaking of the annual contribution – isn’t that coming up soon? I remember it being sometime around the tournament.

probably going to take down the site since people have decided to dare and criticize a coach that just led our alma mater to an 0-12 start, 3-16 finish in conference - possibly the worst season the program has ever had

I don’t know when you guys will ever learn it’s really not what you say (unless it’s offensive or personal) but how you say it. This board has been cluttered with rambling topics with absolutely nothing but stale opinions that have been said over and over and over again. The board has just run rampant the last week with garbage. It’s getting harder and harder to sift through it all to find recruiting info here.

This program is stale- with nothing but losing and Parkhill’s failed disciples at the helm. And this board is stale with excuses for the losing that don’t add up. We are fed up and disgusted, and demand a change

[quote="eric17, post:17, topic:1026"]I don't know when you guys will ever learn it's really not what you say (unless it's offensive or personal) but how you say it. This board has been cluttered with rambling topics with absolutely nothing but stale opinions that have been said over and over and over again. The board has just run rampant the last week with garbage. It's getting harder and harder to sift through it all to find recruiting info here.[/quote]

This program is stale- with nothing but losing and Parkhill’s failed disciples at the helm. And this board is stale with excuses for the losing that don’t add up. We are fed up and disgusted, and demand a change

Yeah, we know.

[quote="eric17, post:17, topic:1026"]I don't know when you guys will ever learn it's really not what you say (unless it's offensive or personal) but how you say it. This board has been cluttered with rambling topics with absolutely nothing but stale opinions that have been said over and over and over again. The board has just run rampant the last week with garbage. It's getting harder and harder to sift through it all to find recruiting info here.[/quote]

Yeah, we know.

good.