PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

LeBron Jame's decision

Am I the only one who was caught off guard to the uproar over LeBron going to Miami?

I know that Cleveland fans are angry, and I understand that. I know others may be irritated by him “abandoning” his hometown.

But, the part I don’t understand is all the former players and media that are ripping him for taking the “easy” route to a championship. They say that it will tarnish his legacy, because he didn’t “win it himself”. LeBron is really taking a pounding for it.

Like I said, am I the only one who thinks that this came out of nowhere?

[quote=“Skeeza, post:1, topic:1306”]Am I the only one who was caught off guard to the uproar over LeBron going to Miami?

I know that Cleveland fans are angry, and I understand that. I know others may be irritated by him “abandoning” his hometown.

But, the part I don’t understand is all the former players and media that are ripping him for taking the “easy” route to a championship. They say that it will tarnish his legacy, because he didn’t “win it himself”. LeBron is really taking a pounding for it.

Like I said, am I the only one who thinks that this came out of nowhere?[/quote]

Yes. Wait 'til it’s evident he’s not the lead star on Miami, and Wade is taking the last shot. Wait 'til the Miami press starts criticizing him. He has a lot of weaknesses as a player. He is not a good 3 point shooter, yet he takes a lot. His handle, while great for a guy 6’9", is not great, yet he continues to handle the ball too much. You think he’s going to get away handling so much on Miami? Over Wade? NFW. He kind of reminds me of Wilt. Great stats, but not really a winner.

A little story on Wilt. In '68 or '69, Bob Cousy was at a local store with a guy named Draff Young, doing some sort of promo. The store was “Floyd’s”, not exactly a household name. We used to play “tag” in the store on Saturdays, usually chased by salesmen as we often came close to knocking over customers. Anyway, the Lakers had just gotten Wilt, and I was a Jerry West fan. I asked Cousy, “do you think the Lakers will win it?” He answered, “not with Wilt, they won’t.” Now, obviously, they did a few years later, but I thought it was interesting. Wilt was an enigma, and not considered a winner. IMO, LeBron is at risk of becoming like that. He had a dreadful series vs. the Celtics. Why didn’t he dominate inside instead of chucking up 3’s? While I don’t think he’ll be a bust, I think he’ll disappoint. If he plays more like Karl Malone, he’ll be great, but he’s got to get running the point and chucking up 3’s out of his game. But with Wade and Chris Bosh, what will be his role? Or does he just expect to run everything like he did in Cleveland?

People are making a big deal out of it because ESPN is telling them to make a big deal out of it.

The guy took less money than he had to in order to play with a better team in an attempt to win championships. Since when is that a bad thing?

I personally don’t really care for Lebron and never have, I think he’s very immature and pretty much a moron when I hear him speak. While some will question his little press conference he threw, I can’t really fault him because the millions who tuned in to see it are just as guilty there. And at least he attached a good cause to it all, even if that part of it was kind of half-assed.

But the move itself? Who cares?

The easy route? How? His team is easily outclassed at all but 2 positions by every recent championship team I can think of. It takes a team to win titles and he wasn’t getting good enough support in Cleveland… ask Gasol, ask Pippen, etc etc etc…

They still need MORE help to really win a title anytime soon. That’s the funny part, for all this talk of the easy way they’ve still got about 3 roster spots to fill with better players than they have now if they want to talk title.