Lavin to St Johns?

Reports St Johns and Steve Lavin are hot for each other -deal could be finalized soon. St Johns was initially concerned about Lavin being a west coast guy - but apparently Lavin is set to hire a top notch staff, all who have very strong NYC and Northeast recruiting ties.

…including former UVA Dave Leitao

I’ll be surprised if this doesn’t happen.

It could backfire - but I love this hire if it happens.

I continue to be amazed that people think Steve Lavin is a strong basketball coaching candidate. Well, St. John’s is at least thinking out-of-the-box. I’m not optimistic that Lavin will do well if he lands this gig. We’ll see.

I’m not a big Lavin fan, and was never one who wanted him at PSU. But to say he can’t coach is a bit of a stretch. I know it was UCLA, but the guy went to 5 Sweet Sixteens (1 Elite Eight) in 6 years. He was also 67 games over .500. Again, I’m not arguing that he’s some amazing coach, but he took over for a cheater and never had a sniff of NCAA issues (that I’m aware of) and he’s always seemed to act in a pretty classy manner. He’s a very strong recruiter too. I bet he’d have some decent success at St. John’s.

Agreed, but I do like him calling games.

[quote="Evan Ceg, post:4, topic:1061"]I continue to be amazed that people think Steve Lavin is a strong basketball coaching candidate. Well, St. John's is at least thinking out-of-the-box. I'm not optimistic that Lavin will do well if he lands this gig. We'll see.[/quote]

I’m not a big Lavin fan, and was never one who wanted him at PSU. But to say he can’t coach is a bit of a stretch. I know it was UCLA, but the guy went to 5 Sweet Sixteens (1 Elite Eight) in 6 years. He was also 67 games over .500. Again, I’m not arguing that he’s some amazing coach, but he took over for a cheater and never had a sniff of NCAA issues (that I’m aware of) and he’s always seemed to act in a pretty classy manner. He’s a very strong recruiter too. I bet he’d have some decent success at St. John’s.

I was one who did want him for the PSU job back when. I never quite understood his firing from UCLA. While the UCLA basketball tradition is rich with success, he did have the Bruins in the tournament pretty much every year while there. To say he is an amazing coach is probably not accurate. Who really knows. But if St. Johns does get him, it will be a great observation to see how Coach Lavin does in the Big East. I personally have been amazed he waited this long to get back into coaching.

They want a “big personality” for a rebuilding project…I’ve heard that somewhere before!!!

Seems like a good hire for St. Johns. I’ve always liked Lavin. I think people always kind of wanted to view him in the same light as a Harrick.

I don’t know that he is much above average as a coach but he can recruit and I believe he will do well at St. Johns. I liked him as an analyst and don’t think he is probation waiting to happen like some painted him out to be.

[quote=“BeerNitLion, post:9, topic:1061”]Seems like a good hire for St. Johns. I’ve always liked Lavin. I think people always kind of wanted to view him in the same light as a Harrick.

I don’t know that he is much above average as a coach but he can recruit and I believe he will do well at St. Johns. I liked him as an analyst and don’t think he is probation waiting to happen like some painted him out to be.[/quote]

Yeah, but he’s been out of coaching for a long time. Can he jump back in and be effective? I like the guy so I wish him the best.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/31/sports/ncaabasketball/31storm.html

The author of that article was a UCLA beat writer during Lavin’s era.

[quote=“eric17, post:11, topic:1061”]http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/31/sports/ncaabasketball/31storm.html

The author of that article was a UCLA beat writer during Lavin’s era.[/quote]

Great article, but pretty brutal, particularly struck by the player’s comment on making it without a coach. Love the Pete Newell recommendations. Hope Ed reads them.

[i]Though Lavin played up his relationships with Wooden and the Hall of Fame coach Pete Newell, an old family friend, he surrounded himself with friends and neophytes. Three of the five assistants who worked for him at U.C.L.A. were his former high school or college teammates. The others had little coaching experience.

“You have to really take an honest look at yourself in what your strengths and weaknesses are,” Newell told The Los Angeles Daily News on the eve of Lavin’s firing in 2003. “Some of us are motivators and not X’s and O’s guys. Some are teachers, but not really strong in game planning and assessing players.” Others were strong in recruiting, Newell said.

“As coaches, we’ve got to get assistants to reinforce us where we’re weak,” he added. “Steve has shown great leadership by bringing his teams back from the ashes — that’s a real strength.”

What Lavin needed, Newell said, was “an older guy who could shape him into a better X-and-O guy, or if he’s not good on defense, a good defense guy. In these areas, there was just no growth.” [/i]

IMO, Lavin will fail quickly if he doesn’t get good help, not his friends. St. John’s is going to be tougher to recruit to than UCLA…by a lot.

My views on bball shaped by Newell. He thought the #1 thing to do on offense was establish an inside back to the basket presence. He mentioned this just a few years before his death. Jerry West feels the same way, and always concentrated on big men. Won with Wilt, coached and won with Jabbar, Divac, then traded Divac for Kobe and signed Shaq(unreal maneuver, one of best ever) and got Gasol when at Memphis.