PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Latest Graduation Success Rates

Props to DeChellis (and Dunn to a lesser extent) for the hoops team’s outstanding Graduation Success Rate in the just released NCAA report. Penn State checked in with a 90% rate for the 2001-04 cohorts (that’s the entering freshman classes).

Here’s all the Big Ten schools and their numbers for those cohorts.

Illinois 100
Penn State 90
Northwestern 80
Michigan St 72
Iowa 73
<==NCAA Average ==> 66
Ohio State 57
Purdue 50
Wisconsin 50
Indiana 47
Michigan 45
Minnesota 43

Clearly some in this conference have some work to do.

Whoah, Illinois!

I owuld have guessed it to shake out that way. My 2 surprises is the 100% by Illinois, and the below average mark of Wiscy.

Purdue at 50% surprised me too – along with the two you mentioned.

[quote="Skeeza, post:3, topic:2753"]I owuld have guessed it to shake out that way. My 2 surprises is the 100% by Illinois, and the below average mark of Wiscy.[/quote]

Purdue at 50% surprised me too – along with the two you mentioned.

Well, it must be a flawed measure since it uses a four year rolling average. :wink:

I’m surprised to see us ahead of Northwestern

Whoah is right. And that was during their NCAA title run. Impressive.

I would not let the NCAA do my taxes ::slight_smile:

[quote=“UncleLar, post:1, topic:2753”]Props to DeChellis (and Dunn to a lesser extent) for the hoops team’s outstanding Graduation Success Rate in the just released NCAA report. Penn State checked in with a 90% rate for the 2001-04 cohorts (that’s the entering freshman classes).

Here’s all the Big Ten schools and their numbers for those cohorts.

Illinois 100
Penn State 90
Northwestern 80
Michigan St 72
Iowa 73
<==NCAA Average ==> 66
Ohio State 57
Purdue 50
Wisconsin 50
Indiana 47
Michigan 45
Minnesota 43

Clearly some in this conference have some work to do.[/quote]

Of course, since it looks at incoming freshman, how many of the schools at the bottom went through big coaching changes in 01-04? I would think that UM, IU and Minny all suffered in this metric more because there were big coaching changes that meant higer transfer rates, etc. and had nothing to do with those schools commitment to educating thier students. This is almost 10 years ago, does this go back to Bo Ryan era at Wisky and Keady at Purdue?

Illinois, on the other hand, put together a whale of a team, and those guys were all motivated to see through their senior year for their title game run… of course, Illini do deserve props for the fact those guys had the necessary credits and actually graduated.

As a conference, I think we’re a pretty committed bunch… I’d love to see what this looks like for the Big East or the SEC…

Big East:

University of Notre Dame 100
Villanova University 100
Marquette University 91
St. John’s University 83
West Virginia University 83
DePaul University 80
Rutgers 75
Georgetown University 70
Seton Hall University 69
Providence College 67
University of Pittsburgh 64
University of Cincinnati 56
University of Louisville 56
Syracuse University 54
University of South Florida 44
University of Connecticut 25

SEC

Vanderbilt University 93
Louisiana State University 71
University of Mississippi 71
University of Kentucky 69
University of Alabama 67
University of South Carolina 57
University of Georgia 43
University of Tennessee 40
University of Florida 38
Auburn University 29
Mississippi State University 27
University of Arkansas 25

AVERAGE APR:

Big East 69.8
Big Ten 64.3
SEC 52.5

I wonder if this is a coincidence (Catholic Schools in red)

Big East:

Villanova University 100
Marquette University 91
St. John’s University 83

DePaul University 80
Rutgers 75
Georgetown University 70
Seton Hall University 69
Providence College 67

Syracuse University 54

Schools that had coaching changes during the measurement period are in red.

Illinois 100
Penn State 90

Northwestern 80
Michigan St 72
Iowa 73
Ohio State 57
Purdue 50

Wisconsin 50
Indiana 47
Michigan 45
Minnesota 43

Yes some of the schools at the bottom had coaching changes, but so did the schools at the top. Plus, if kids who leave are in good academic standing, the school is not penalized. Coaching changes can’t be used as an excuse.

Of course, since it looks at incoming freshman, how many of the schools at the bottom went through big coaching changes in 01-04? I would think that UM, IU and Minny all suffered in this metric more because there were big coaching changes that meant higer transfer rates, etc. and had nothing to do with those schools commitment to educating thier students. This is almost 10 years ago, does this go back to Bo Ryan era at Wisky and Keady at Purdue?

Illinois 100
Penn State 90

Northwestern 80
Michigan St 72
Iowa 73
Ohio State 57
Purdue 50

Wisconsin 50
Indiana 47
Michigan 45
Minnesota 43

Yes some of the schools at the bottom had coaching changes, but so did the schools at the top. Plus, if kids who leave are in good academic standing, the school is not penalized. Coaching changes can’t be used as an excuse.

What about OSU and all the kids who left early? I am assuming those cases are treated the same as players transferring.

Nice to see Nova at 100%. Since a certain poster on here wants to assume Chambers will bring all the negative aspects of the Nova program to PSU, I guess the same poster will assume that Chambers will raise PSU’s grad rate to 100% :wink:

[quote="MarkH, post:9, topic:2753"]Of course, since it looks at incoming freshman, how many of the schools at the bottom went through big coaching changes in 01-04? I would think that UM, IU and Minny all suffered in this metric more because there were big coaching changes that meant higer transfer rates, etc. and had nothing to do with those schools commitment to educating thier students. This is almost 10 years ago, does this go back to Bo Ryan era at Wisky and Keady at Purdue?[/quote]

Illinois 100
Penn State 90

Northwestern 80
Michigan St 72
Iowa 73
Ohio State 57
Purdue 50

Wisconsin 50
Indiana 47
Michigan 45
Minnesota 43

What about OSU and all the kids who left early? I am assuming those cases are treated the same as players transferring.

That’s correct. If you leave in good standing, your school isn’t penalized.

Note: I should clarify that somewhat since it’s a point that Jim Calhoun constantly makes. While you are not penalized for a kid who leaves early and is eligible, you do become more vulnerable when kids leave who aren’t eligible. In Calhoun’s case, however, he’s just blowing smoke because all of those early departures that he’s had couldn’t have dragged his APR down as far as it is - there has to be other problems there.

[quote="MarkH, post:9, topic:2753"]Of course, since it looks at incoming freshman, how many of the schools at the bottom went through big coaching changes in 01-04? I would think that UM, IU and Minny all suffered in this metric more because there were big coaching changes that meant higer transfer rates, etc. and had nothing to do with those schools commitment to educating thier students. This is almost 10 years ago, does this go back to Bo Ryan era at Wisky and Keady at Purdue?[/quote]

Illinois 100
Penn State 90

Northwestern 80
Michigan St 72
Iowa 73
Ohio State 57
Purdue 50

Wisconsin 50
Indiana 47
Michigan 45
Minnesota 43

Thanks Lar…saved me the post.

With Dee Brown, Luther Head, Deron Williams, James Augustine, Roger Powell, etc…no Illini player was going anywhere. It helped that you had a coach coming in, Bruce Weber, who was not looking to rock any boats or put his stamp on the team by replacing players. He knew that he didn’t need to shake anything up after Bill Self left him a full cupboard in 2003.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:11, topic:2753”]I wonder if this is a coincidence (Catholic Schools in red)

Big East:

Villanova University 100
Marquette University 91
St. John’s University 83

DePaul University 80
Rutgers 75
Georgetown University 70
Seton Hall University 69
Providence College 67

Syracuse University 54
University of Connecticut 25[/quote]

Leroy Jethro Gibbs said “There are no coincidences!!” BUT BUT BUT I don’t think it has anything to do with the quality of the student. Remember men’s basketball is the school’s (except ND) biggest athletic MONEY maker. Do the math :wink:

I wonder if this is a coincidence (Catholic Schools in red)

Big East:

Villanova University 100
Marquette University 91
St. John’s University 83

DePaul University 80
Rutgers 75
Georgetown University 70
Seton Hall University 69
Providence College 67

Syracuse University 54

Leroy Jethro Gibbs said “There are no coincidences!!” BUT BUT BUT I don’t think it has anything to do with the quality of the student. Remember men’s basketball is the school’s (except ND) biggest athletic MONEY maker. Do the math :wink:

What does being the school’s biggest money maker have to do with graduating players?

Ah come on…don’t be naive.

Ever wonder how athletes who have extremely poor grades in their local public high schools BUT then after getting a free ride at some of the top, most elite, super expensive, super elite (said twice for emphasis) prep school in the country get much higher grades???
I wonder about it sometimes.

[quote=“tundra, post:18, topic:2753”]Ah come on…don’t be naive.

Ever wonder how athletes who have extremely poor grades in their local public high schools BUT then after getting a free ride at some of the top, most elite, super expensive, super elite (said twice for emphasis) prep school in the country get much higher grades???
I wonder about it sometimes. [/quote]

Yup - and I attribute a lot of it to the structure that they are put in at many of the prep schools. Is there some of what you suggest going on? Certainly. But the mandatory class attendance, structured living arrangement, environment that these kids are put into has a lot to do with it too.

c’mon Lar, we all know that only PSU jocks that attend prep schools benefit from the better structure & teachers. Those going to other college are clearly cheating. We’re the only good program out there.