PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Lar's Response to NitFan on the BWI/Lion's Den board

Lar - great response to Nit(witless)fan on the Lion’s Den board. So many fans have no clue about PSU hoops.

care to copy/paste the argument, i’m not over on that board.

Premium content - no can do.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:2, topic:448"]care to copy/paste the argument, i'm not over on that board.[/quote] Premium content - no can do.

lol always found it funny that they have premium sections of sports message boards. It’s fairly counter-intuitive in this day and age, where free flowing information is generally what makes companies the most money by bringing in traffic.

But - that’s the scratching the surface of all the reasons I dislike scout/rivals/etc.

So then…what’s the point of this thread? ???

[quote="Craftsy21, post:2, topic:448"]care to copy/paste the argument, i'm not over on that board.[/quote] Premium content - no can do.

lol always found it funny that they have premium sections of sports message boards. It’s fairly counter-intuitive in this day and age, where free flowing information is generally what makes companies the most money by bringing in traffic.

But - that’s the scratching the surface of all the reasons I dislike scout/rivals/etc.

Really? How about TV. The original business model for the internet and TV are very similar. Free content supported by advertising. Then along comes cable and premium sites. Why does this evolution surprise you?

Couldn’t you provide a synopsis of the Q & A?

One of the regular Lion’s Den Doom and Gloomers posted negatively about our incoming recruiting class (Buie) being ranked 11 out of 11 in the Big Ten. Many posters pointed out that this was a bad year to criticize Ed’s recruiting record since the low ranking is a result of only having one person in the class and that he just happens to be maybe the best recruit that, not only has Ed has had, but maybe in recent PSU hoops history. Lar joined the fracas late and basically called the original poster and one of his cohorts ignoramuses.

Shoot me if you want, but to make laymen opinions “premium” content that you must pay to read seems a bit silly to me.

It was basically a poster ripping on Penn State’s hoops recruiting and their incoming class. Lar then replied giving the whole “this just shows how ignorant the PSU fan base is when it comes to hoops” shtick, and how we signed our best recruit ever with our only ship. Everyone should be thrilled about this, not criticizing it using their lack of knowledge.

The post that I found funnier was below in the same thread, a poster asked why PSU only has one player signed in the incoming recruiting class so far, while other B10 teams have more than one. He meant to be bashing our recruiting with this comment (at least that was my take of it), but it really showed that he had no clue about our scholly situation.

Copy and pasting content from a premium board, regardless of its source, is a faux pas.

I was a little bit skeptical last year at the very end of the recruiting period. Although I thought that Ed should have kept two grants for next year I figured he must have saw something in what was the grant that became Bill Edwards. I think that Edwards is going to be a big player for us the next few years.

And it does make one wonder how people can question Ed’s recruiting when he has progressed from Geary, to Mel, to Talor, to Taran. He keeps improving the talent base which from where he started is pretty amazing.

Really? How about TV. The original business model for the internet and TV are very similar. Free content supported by advertising. Then along comes cable and premium sites. Why does this evolution surprise you?

There’s an interesting book out on the subject right now, and it’s a topic I’ve spent a lot of time discussing but don’t want to really get into it in here… the book pretty much sums up all my ideas though, if you’re interested.

http://www.amazon.com/Free-Future-Radical-Chris-Anderson/dp/1401322905/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260325264&sr=8-4

I guess to give Lar some props?

[quote=“State4Life, post:9, topic:448”]Shoot me if you want, but to make laymen opinions “premium” content that you must pay to read seems a bit silly to me.

It was basically a poster ripping on Penn State’s hoops recruiting and their incoming class. Lar then replied giving the whole “this just shows how ignorant the PSU fan base is when it comes to hoops” shtick, and how we signed our best recruit ever with our only ship. Everyone should be thrilled about this, not criticizing it using their lack of knowledge.

The post that I found funnier was below in the same thread, a poster asked why PSU only has one player signed in the incoming recruiting class so far, while other B10 teams have more than one. He meant to be bashing our recruiting with this comment (at least that was my take of it), but it really showed that he had no clue about our scholly situation.[/quote]

Seeing as how you must have access to the content, I guess you don’t find it too silly. ;D

Tru dat. I mainly use my membership to watch recruiting videos and read articles though, one of the writers is a friend of mine. The forums on that site (especially BWI/McAndrew) can be pretty brutal.

I’ll never understand the whole “wont-copy-and-paste-the-conversation-because-I-paid-for-it” bit. I mean, we look for live streams on the internet for almost every game. Which is pretty much somebody streaming tv they paid for, then we turn around and wont even copy and paste a convo between two people of no real importance had…mainly because we “paid for it”

I honestly dont care at all, but I’ve always enjoyed seeing people get bent out of shape over someone pasting a paragraph or two. I’d understand why the people who run the site dont want it, but unless you’re pasting every article that comes out your average joe shouldn’t care if he is still paying for it. If he does I guess we should try and get justin.tv taken down. But again, none of this bugs me, I was just enjoying the momment :wink:

[quote=“NGameday, post:16, topic:448”]I’ll never understand the whole “wont-copy-and-paste-the-conversation-because-I-paid-for-it” bit. I mean, we look for live streams on the internet for almost every game. Which is pretty much somebody streaming tv they paid for, then we turn around and wont even copy and paste a convo between two people of no real importance had…mainly because we “paid for it”

I honestly dont care at all, but I’ve always enjoyed seeing people get bent out of shape over someone pasting a paragraph or two. I’d understand why the people who run the site dont want it, but unless you’re pasting every article that comes out your average joe shouldn’t care if he is still paying for it. If he does I guess we should try and get justin.tv taken down. But again, none of this bugs me, I was just enjoying the momment ;)[/quote]

I think you are reading something into phillip decision that’s just not there. He never said he wouldn’t copy and paste the article “because he paid for it”. That’s an assumption that you are making and I think it’s a pretty big one.

I'll never understand the whole [i]"wont-copy-and-paste-the-conversation-because-I-paid-for-it"[/i] bit. I mean, we look for live streams on the internet for almost every game. Which is pretty much somebody streaming tv they paid for, then we turn around and wont even copy and paste a convo between two people of no real importance had...mainly because we "paid for it"

I honestly dont care at all, but I’ve always enjoyed seeing people get bent out of shape over someone pasting a paragraph or two. I’d understand why the people who run the site dont want it, but unless you’re pasting every article that comes out your average joe shouldn’t care if he is still paying for it. If he does I guess we should try and get justin.tv taken down. But again, none of this bugs me, I was just enjoying the momment :wink:

I think you are reading something into phillip decision that’s just not there. He never said he wouldn’t copy and paste the article “because he paid for it”. That’s an assumption that you are making and I think it’s a pretty big one.

Oh I didn’t mean it directly to him…I guess I wasn’t clear about that. I have seen people say that is exactly why they dont share.

I only ment it in a joking matter nothing personal or serious

[quote="eric17, post:5, topic:448"]So then....what's the point of this thread? ???[/quote]

I guess that’s what a PM is for, not an entire thread.

[quote="eric17, post:5, topic:448"]So then....what's the point of this thread? ???[/quote]

I guess that’s what a PM is for, not an entire thread.

I don’t know Skeeza, I have never used a personal message to give Lar props and doubt I ever will. ;D