PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Lar is this what you were talking about

http://onwardstate.com/2011/05/20/code-blue-new-athletics-points-program-unveiled/

Code Blue is generally used to indicate a patient requiring immediate resuscitation. Nothing has ever been more aptly named.

I proposed this to the Athletic Department 7 years ago.

I remember a lot of other student leaders who were in on the discussion claimed it “wasn’t fair” because they were interested in football only and didn’t care about the other sports. ::slight_smile:

Seriously…this is a good idea!!
How much impact it will have…I don’t know. BUT, it’s an attempt.

One more thing. They ought to target men’s basketball. Students should earn extra or bonus swipe point for attending basketball games etc etc. This can be justified because PSU men’s basketball is so far “below the interest” curve.

[quote=“tundra, post:4, topic:2401”]Seriously…this is a good idea!!
How much impact it will have…I don’t know. BUT, it’s an attempt.

One more thing. They ought to target men’s basketball. Students should earn extra or bonus swipe point for attending basketball games etc etc. This can be justified because PSU men’s basketball is so far “below the interest” curve. [/quote]

That was precisely my motivation.

Yes

Good idea, but they need to tie n some randomly awarded prizes. This is only a motivator to people who go to a lot of events. They should do something like give you one ticket for each point you get and then do a drawing for a bunch of prizes (jerseys, autographs, free tickets)

Hopefully someone involved with this initiative is reading this board

This is only a motivator to people who go to a lot of events.

?? That’s the whole point. You want priority for football games? You have to go to other events. You have to show some true school spirit. No other incentives are necessary when there is already a shortage of student tickets being demanded.

?? That’s the whole point. You want priority for football games? You have to go to other events. You have to show some true school spirit. No other incentives are necessary when there is already a shortage of student tickets being demanded.[/quote]
There will only be a few hundred people actually in the running for anything, so most students wouldn’t have any additional motivation.

This is only a motivator to people who go to a lot of events.

?? That’s the whole point. You want priority for football games? You have to go to other events. You have to show some true school spirit. No other incentives are necessary when there is already a shortage of student tickets being demanded.

There will only be a few hundred people actually in the running for anything, so most students wouldn’t have any additional motivation.

Not sure I understand you on this. The purpose of this program, as I understand it, is to reward the fans who go to the most sporting events priority seating at the high-demand sporting events (namely football games).

You’re suggesting that they throw in other prizes for people who go to sporting events but don’t care about getting good football tickets? I guess I would support that, seems like the best prize is getting tickets to the football games though for most PSU students.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:9, topic:2401"][quote] This is only a motivator to people who go to a lot of events. [/quote]

?? That’s the whole point. You want priority for football games? You have to go to other events. You have to show some true school spirit. No other incentives are necessary when there is already a shortage of student tickets being demanded.[/quote]

Not sure I understand you on this. The purpose of this program, as I understand it, is to reward the fans who go to the most sporting events priority seating at the high-demand sporting events (namely football games)

You’re suggesting that they throw in other prizes for people who go to sporting events but don’t care about getting good football tickets? I guess I would support that, seems like the best prize is getting tickets to the football games though for most PSU students.

Clearly you don’t understand it.

The purpose of any rewards program is not to reward their best customers, it’s to drive brand loyalty.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:9, topic:2401"][quote] This is only a motivator to people who go to a lot of events. [/quote]

Not sure I understand you on this. The purpose of this program, as I understand it, is to reward the fans who go to the most sporting events priority seating at the high-demand sporting events (namely football games)

The purpose of any rewards program is not to reward their best customers, it’s to drive brand loyalty.

The rewards structure will include multiple levels of prizes, with those accumulating enough points to be in the top 250 guaranteed football tickets for the upcoming season. Those in the top 10 will receive their football tickets free of charge.

Sounds like the best “customers” are getting the best prize… and if the top prize is all about getting tickets to football games I think it’s pretty clear what the point of this whole deal is.

But then again, I clearly don’t understand this so maybe you could clear this up for me some more.

Lar is right, I think, but I suspect there are some secondary purposes as well: finding an equitable way to distribute football tickets, maybe; encouraging attendance at other events, and most important, men’s basketball. That would be what I would suppose, anyway.

The purpose of any organization is to get something not to give something away. What does PSU want? They want increased attendance at non-football events. This program as described will only motivate a few hundred students to attend more events. This can be a rather big difference at some events, but will do little for basketball. Increasing basketball attendance in particular should be goal, as it is a revenue generating sport.

The purpose of any organization is to get something not to give something away. What does PSU want? They want increased attendance at non-football events. This program as described will only motivate a few hundred students to attend more events. This can be a rather big difference at some events, but will do little for basketball. Increasing basketball attendance in particular should be goal, as it is a revenue generating sport.

I don’t know how you can come to that conclusion yet since we don’t have the details behind the program. If you got quintuple points for showing up at a basketball game, don’t you suspect a bunch of students might take advantage of that?

The rewards structure will include multiple levels of prizes, with those accumulating enough points to be in the top 250 guaranteed football tickets for the upcoming season. Those in the top 10 will receive their football tickets free of charge.

Sounds like the best “customers” are getting the best prize… and if the top prize is all about getting tickets to football games I think it’s pretty clear what the point of this whole deal is.

But then again, I clearly don’t understand this so maybe you could clear this up for me some more.

As both tjb and zac noted, the reason for the program is to drive attendance at sporting events. By rewarding repeat customers (in this case, students who go to PSU sporting events), you are encouraging that behavior. The airline, hotel, and credit card companies understand this in spades. In this case, PSU’s objective is to get kids to attend other sports, the vehicle that they are using is the free football tickets.

As both tjb and zac noted, the reason for the program is to drive attendance at sporting events. By rewarding repeat customers (in this case, students who go to PSU sporting events), you are encouraging that behavior. The airline, hotel, and credit card companies understand this in spades. In this case, PSU's objective is to get kids to attend other sports, the vehicle that they are using is the free football tickets.

::slight_smile:

Splitting hairs like usual. I’m just saying that the best way to get people to attend other events is to reward them for going by dangling the prized event tickets in front of them for doing so. Which is exactly what this does.

Brand loyalty? Don’t know about that. These types of programs are almost always just a fair way of distributing football tickets (or whatever the big sport is at a particular school), which are the only tickets right now that you can’t walk up and get the day of. And it happens to kill two birds with one stone, because it also will increase attendance at other events. Replace the incentive of football tickets with something of equal (face) value and see if anybody gives a crap about it.

They should expand it further. Rank the entire school system, if they have 20,000 student tickets available then the top 20k student point holders get first dibs and the rest fall in line behind them according to their rank.

Something about this incentive just doesn’t sit right with me. Not everyone is into every sport – obviously! There is a lot more to college life than attending sporting events – studying for one. Why should a student feel “forced” to attend events that they have little/no interest in just to secure better football seats? My opinion is that each sport should stand by itself.

My read is that for the top 250 all-sports attendees, they are guaranteed tickets. For the rest of the student population it doesn’t matter if they have attended just one less game/match or none at all.

I think that’s pretty fair, so you don’t necessarily have to attend other sports to get tickets, just if you have the time and will to, you can secure your tickets.