PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Lamar Stevens Plus/Minus Record Watch

Turns out this is the perfect mathematical moment to start the Lamar record watch

Here’s the up to the moment PSU career points list.

1. Talor Battle 2213
  2. Jesse Arnelle 2138
  3. Joe Crispin 1986
  4. Lamar Stevens 1958

Lamar is 255 points short of catching Talor. He should have at least 15 games remaining (I’m counting a minimum of one B10 tournament game and one post season game). If he averages exactly 17 ppg, he will tie Talor in 15 games. (FTR he’s averaging 16.4 ppg this season, 15.9 in conference play).

So from here on out, I’m going to track how many points Lamar is over/under that 17 target via something like this:

Lamar Career Scoring Record Watch (15 games remaining)

1. Talor Battle 2213
  2. Jesse Arnelle 2138
  3. Joe Crispin 1986
  4. Lamar Stevens 1958 (0)
1 Like

If he goes off for 30 tonight he will pass Crispin, and may give us a good shot at what would be a BIG win.

3 Likes

It’s Stevens, not Stephens…it’s correct in the title, incorrect in the body…otherwise, good idea. He’s obviously an all-time PSU great.

1 Like

I feel that Stevens could get there. It depends. If we get to go to the NCAA Tournament then he definitely surpasses Battle. There will have been enough games that it is more likely than not. But out of the 15 games right now we have to assume there will be a few off nights that he will be below average. I hope he gets there!

Half empty guy. :roll_eyes:

We also have to assume that there well be a few on nights where he’s above average.

Not usually a half empty kind of guy. But when teams are mainly targeting him defensively I have think this way.

Thanks. FIxed.

1 Like

With 15 games remaining Lamar needed to score exactly 17 ppg to tie Talor. This will track how many points Lamar has scored and if he is above or below the necessary pace.

Lamar Career Scoring Record Watch (14 games remaining)

1. Talor Battle 2213
  2. Jesse Arnelle 2138
  3. Joe Crispin 1986
  4. Lamar Stevens 1977 (+2)
2 Likes

I’d love for Stevens to break the scoring record on senior night. He deserves the home crowd adulation.

6 Likes

Lamar takes over third place

With 15 games remaining Lamar needed to score exactly 17 ppg to tie Talor. This will track how many points Lamar has scored and if he is above or below the necessary pace.

Lamar Career Scoring Record Watch (13 games remaining)

1. Talor Battle 2213
  2. Jesse Arnelle 2138
  3. Lamar Stevens 1994 (+2)
  4. Joe Crispin 1986
3 Likes

Lamar Career Scoring Record Watch (12 games remaining)

1. Talor Battle 2213
  2. Jesse Arnelle 2138
  3. Lamar Stevens 2007 (-2)
  4. Joe Crispin 1986
1 Like
2 Likes

I have a sneaky feeling Lamar has a couple high 20, potentially 30 bombs he has yet to drop. If he gets hot from beyond the arc, he’s going to score at worst, 20.

1 Like

Down the stretch seniors always seem to play big. Luckily, we have 3 viable ones this year. Big games out of CuJo, Lamar, and Mike are definitely in our future.

1 Like

His postgame interview Saturday night said everything I already suspected of Lamar. He’s not a selfish guy, not concerned about padding his stats or individual records. The depth of our team is such that he doesn’t have to score 20-25 ppg to win games like Garza does. Would he like the record? Sure, but he doesn’t crave it. It’s more important to him that the team does well and that is incredibly refreshing.

2 Likes

I’m not talking about seniors playing big to pad their stats… more-so, seniors playing big because they realize that it’s the end of their road and they do not want it to end (ala Brandon Taylor)

What I find remarkable is how well Arnelle’s record is holding, particularly when you consider it was a shorter season (102 games for Arnelle, 134 for Battle, probably closer to 140 for Stevens) in the pre-shot clock era. Of course, it may speak to the level of talent PSU has acquired over the years as well…

And pre-3 point line. How many would Bubby have had if his 3s where only worth 2?

That as well. I just think back to the lower scores associated with the lack of a shot clock. I imagine Arnelle probably had a good offensive efficiency in that regard.

Also interesting to note that Arnelle is still PSU’s all-time rebounding leader with 1,238 (12.8 per game). Mike Lang is a distant second with 912 (8.3 per game).

Mike Watkins currently has 898 (8.2 per game) so he should pass Lang for second place very soon.

1 Like