PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Lady Lions vs SC

Watched about the last 33 minutes. Great win! We got some home cooking. We got all the calls when the game mattered. Refs evened things up by calling a zillion fouls against PSU in the last 10 minutes (game was decided.)
Anyway, team looked very tough. I am surprised of how much Gray and Troegel have improved. Womack and Wolf have improved also. Nickson and Edwards played pretty solid. Bentley is very solid with the ball. Green is a project. Maggie didn’t have a great game in the minutes I saw.
I was quite happy. They looked much better than I expected. Bentley - Gray - Troegel are a nice 3 to built the team around.

[quote=“tundra, post:1, topic:1529”]Watched about the last 33 minutes. Great win! We got some home cooking. We got all the calls when the game mattered. Refs evened things up by calling a zillion fouls against PSU in the last 10 minutes (game was decided.)
Anyway, team looked very tough. I am surprised of how much Gray and Troegel have improved. Womack and Wolf have improved also. Nickson and Edwards played pretty solid. Bentley is very solid with the ball. Green is a project. Maggie didn’t have a great game in the minutes I saw.
I was quite happy. They looked much better than I expected. Bentley - Gray - Troegel are a nice 3 to built the team around.[/quote]

You should have watched more of the game since Maggie had a great first half leading the team in scoring with 8 points. For the game she was second in scoring with 14 points on 5-8 shooting (2-3 from three, 2-3 from the foul line) in just 21 minutes of play. What surprised me was that she also played point when Bentley was out of the game.

I don’t think Maggie will ever be a true point, but I think she has the skills to fill in as needed. Label her a 1.5.

If Greene can develop some offensive go-to moves soon, this will be a difficult team to beat come March. First, she has to stop fouling.

I wasn’t “blasting” Maggie. I like her a lot as a player. I did miss the early 8 points. (I was following the wrestling matches.) She is very solid and has a nice 3 pt shot. She is not the fastest player out there.There were times during this game where she was “out quicked.” But, she has solid ball skills.
I would not mention her with Kelly M., though!

gopsusports.com: Lady Lions Stifle South Carolina, 78-48, to Move to 4-0

[quote=“tundra, post:5, topic:1529”]I wasn’t “blasting” Maggie. I like her a lot as a player. I did miss the early 8 points. (I was following the wrestling matches.) She is very solid and has a nice 3 pt shot. She is not the fastest player out there.There were times during this game where she was “out quicked.” But, she has solid ball skills.
I would not mention her with Kelly M., though!
[/quote]

You might by the time she’s done.

Lucas’s first four games: 12 pts (27 min), 22 pts (24 min), 13 pts (25 min), 14 pts (21 min). Average: 15.2 pts, 24.2 min, or .63 ppm pace

Mazzante’s first four games: 14 pts (15 min), 12 pts (20 min), 8 pts (26 min), 22 pts (25 min) Average: 14.0 pts, 21.5 min, or .65 ppm pace

Their numbers look remarkably similar over their first four games.

They both made 22 baskets but Maggie hit more threes than Kelly (10 vs 7)

Kelly shot for a higher overall percentage (.524 vs .449)
Maggie shot for a higher 3 pt percentage (.385 vs .350)

P.S. I TiVo’ed the game so that I could watch all of it AFTER the wrestling matches.

You’d be a fool not to mention her with Mazz as an incoming Frosh. Maggie’s overall game is further along at this point in her career than Kelly’s was at teh same point.

BTN Video - South Carolina at Penn State

I follow my eyeballs and a long life time of following basketball.
Why not mention Bentley with Suzy??? Seems to be a much more closer comparison and more realistic to me. Huh, WHY?? But, it’s still not a valid comparison.

Love the insults…Thanks… :o…back to ignore!

OK, I will summarize for the apologists. I don’t think anyone on this team will every be of the playing level of Suzy or Kelly! This is not a great insult. Suzy and Kelly were the 2 best PSU players ever. Just super talents.

[quote=“tundra, post:10, topic:1529”]I follow my eyeballs and a long life time of following basketball.
Why not mention Bentley with Suzy??? Seems to be a much more closer comparison and more realistic to me. Huh, WHY?? But, it’s still not a valid comparison.

OK, I will summarize for the apologists. I don’t think anyone on this team will every be of the playing level of Suzy or Kelly! This is not a great insult. Suzy and Kelly were the 2 best PSU players ever. Just super talents.[/quote]

I think your eyeballs are comparing an entire career for Kelly to Maggie’s first four games. You need to compare where Kelly’s game was her first few games of her career to Maggie’s. In my opinion, Lucas has a more complete game at this point in her career. That is no insult to Kelly. I don’t think Mazz could have ever been relied on to run the point if needed. Lucas has to skills to do so from time to time. Watching Kelly in her first few games, I thought that she would be a hell of a scoring machine. Watching Lucas in her first few games, I think she is going to be more than just shooter.

[quote=“tundra, post:10, topic:1529”]I follow my eyeballs and a long life time of following basketball.

OK, I will summarize for the apologists. I don’t think anyone on this team will every be of the playing level of Suzy or Kelly! This is not a great insult. Suzy and Kelly were the 2 best PSU players ever. Just super talents.[/quote]

What insults? I’d love for you to point out to me where they are. I sure didn’t see any. ???

Maggie Lucas came into Penn State with greater credentials than any other PSU player ever (McDonalds All American game starter and winner of the three point shooting contest). There’s been nothing in her play these first four games to suggest that her cred was undeserved. Will she turn out to be as good as Mazzante? Who knows? It’s too early to tell. But it’s also too early to say she won’t.

In back to back games, Maggie has put up 27 and 28 points to up her scoring average to 16.9 ppg (FTR - Mazzante was at 16.1 ppg after eight games ;D and ended the season at 18.2 ppg).

The Lady Lions are going to be good the next few seasons. Better get back to the BJC and see them now.