PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Lady Lions vs. Army

Lady Lions Welcome Army to BJC Wednesday for Military Appreciation Night

Game is on LIVE on the BTN tonight @ 6:30.

PSU’s offense keeps clicking
Lady Lions host Army tonight

Walt Moody - CDT
December 8, 2010 7:17am EST

Defense the focus for Lady Lions against Army
By Andrew Robinson
Collegian Staff Writer
December 8, 2010

For the first time since Washington has been the HC, I am seeing play that shows some fundamental skill. The last 5-6 minutes were real sloppy.
I did not like that #33 Megan Lucas was still on the floor right to the end with a 30 point plus lead. Probably, partially dictated to the fact that the entire roster only has 11 players. Can anyone address why the roster numbers are that skimpy?

[quote=“Duff, post:3, topic:1611”]For the first time since Washington has been the HC, I am seeing play that shows some fundamental skill. The last 5-6 minutes were real sloppy.
I did not like that #33 Megan Lucas was still on the floor right to the end with a 30 point plus lead. Probably, partially dictated to the fact that the entire roster only has 11 players. Can anyone address why the roster numbers are that skimpy?[/quote]

Lucas isn’t a starter and is the backup point guard. It’s either her or Alex Bentley that’s going to run the point. If you think the last five minutes were sloppy with her at the point, think of what it would have been like without a point guard.

With just one senior and two juniors, I think the roster is short so that they can balance the classes out over the next couple of years.

Also, Janessa Wolfe graduated early. Looking around, many womens programs do not use the full amount of scholarships. See a lot of teams with 12-13. I think that they usually rely on practicing against a squad of men, many teams opt not to stock a full roster. Personally I don’t like it, but that’s me.

and Emily Phillips transferred (which is also why Maggie Lucas was forced into the backup point guard role).

First time I get to see the Lady Lions this year tonight in person and I came away impressed. I really think Coquese is building up a nice talent base and a nice system for her players to succeed in. Like the constant, changing pressure defenses. Whether thats full court/half court man, trapping zone, pressing. Also a lot of quality shooters, and really love Lucas’ game as a freshman. I know it was only Army, but still, like the direction the Lady Lions are headed.

They have so many offensive weapons it’s amazing. Any one of the girls can put up double digits in scoring any given night (ten of the eleven girls have had at least one night this season with at least ten points - Renee Womack is the only one who hasn’t yet and she is definitely capable of it).

BTN video, Army at Penn State - Women’s Basketball Highlights

Another frantic pace win. In general I like playing FAST…but the team needs to guard against frantic pitfalls (turnovers, bad shots and giving up bunnies.) But, this team is very interesting to watch. I will be interested to see how this pace of play works in the BigTen. Particularly on the road.
Green getting only 8 minutes is a “flag.”