PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Lady Lions Earn Second Seed in Big Ten Tournament

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/022711aaa.html

Looks like the Lady Lions will probably have yet another chance to finally beat Purdue this year @ 11:30 AM on Friday 3/4. Unfortunately, the game is being played in Indiana. :wink:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/big10/sports/w-baskbl/auto_pdf/2011WBBTournamentBracket.pdf

Purdue campus is a easy drive from Indy. If I remember correctly about 50-60 minutes!

[quote=“CAPPY, post:2, topic:2011”]Looks like the Lady Lions will probably have yet another chance to finally beat Purdue this year @ 11:30 AM on Friday 3/4. Unfortunately, the game is being played in Indiana. :wink:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/big10/sports/w-baskbl/auto_pdf/2011WBBTournamentBracket.pdf[/quote]

The ladies seem to be faltering a bit at the end of the year. Don’t want to keep repeating myself, but once again its a sign of a young team. What can you expect from a team that only plays 1 senior and I think maybe 1 junior.

I sure will be watching the playoffs.

Maybe Im being overly critical, but aren’t the WBB Championships and the BT Wrestling Championships on at the same time? Am I wrong for thinking that its a big blunder to do that?

[quote="CAPPY, post:2, topic:2011"]Looks like the Lady Lions will probably have yet another chance to finally beat Purdue this year @ 11:30 AM on Friday 3/4. Unfortunately, the game is being played in Indiana. ;)

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/big10/sports/w-baskbl/auto_pdf/2011WBBTournamentBracket.pdf[/quote]

The ladies seem to be faltering a bit at the end of the year. Don’t want to keep repeating myself, but once again its a sign of a young team. What can you expect from a team that only plays 1 senior and I think maybe 1 junior.

Maybe Im being overly critical, but aren’t the WBB Championships and the BT Wrestling Championships on at the same time? Am I wrong for thinking that its a big blunder to do that?

There are only so many weekends in March when you can have the championships and there’s not much overlap in the women’s hoops and men’s wrestling demographic.

i’ve just never understood why the women have their conf tourney a week early. it forces the teams to cram a full schedule of games into a smaller window and then they sit around and twiddle their thumbs for a week awaiting selection.

[quote="UncleLar, post:5, topic:2011"]There are only so many weekends in March when you can have the championships and there's not much overlap in the women's hoops and men's wrestling demographic.[/quote]

i’ve just never understood why the women have their conf tourney a week early. it forces the teams to cram a full schedule of games into a smaller window and then they sit around and twiddle their thumbs for a week awaiting selection.

One reason they do it is so that the games don’t compete against the men’s tournament both for TV time and for the venue.

[quote="UncleLar, post:5, topic:2011"]There are only so many weekends in March when you can have the championships and there's not much overlap in the women's hoops and men's wrestling demographic.[/quote]

One reason they do it is so that the games don’t compete against the men’s tournament both for TV time and for the venue.

i realize that, i just don’t think it justifies the other problems that it creates

i realize that, i just don’t think it justifies the other problems that it creates

The women also play two fewer conference games, so that helps with the “cramming”, too.

not really, they just cut back on the conf games and replaced them with ooc games. the coaches didn’t like the increased conf schedule because no one likes to start conf games before the holiday break, which was almost guaranteed with one less week than the men. so they trimmed the conf schedule back to the old amount and added two ooc games

[quote="PSUQuaker, post:9, topic:2011"]The women also play two fewer conference games, so that helps with the "cramming", too.[/quote]

not really, they just cut back on the conf games and replaced them with ooc games. the coaches didn’t like the increased conf schedule because no one likes to start conf games before the holiday break, which was almost guaranteed with one less week than the men. so they trimmed the conf schedule back to the old amount and added two ooc games

I’m not trying to argue, because to be honest, I don’t care all that much.

But I still really don’t understand the complaint about “cramming” the full schedule into a “smaller window”. Yes, the window is smaller, by one week. But, there are also two fewer conference games (none of those added OOC games were played in that window). It doesn’t seem like that big of a sacrifice to be able to play at Conseco Fieldhouse.

Conversely, I totally see your point about twiddling thumbs where it could be as much as two weeks between playing in the BTT and the NCAA tourney opener.

[quote="CAPPY, post:2, topic:2011"]Looks like the Lady Lions will probably have yet another chance to finally beat Purdue this year @ 11:30 AM on Friday 3/4. Unfortunately, the game is being played in Indiana. ;)

There are only so many weekends in March when you can have the championships and there’s not much overlap in the women’s hoops and men’s wrestling demographic.

Understood, but can you have them at DIFFERENT TIMES on Sunday? Why is one at 3:30 and the other at 4:00? That’s what gets me. If you simple start eh WBB Championship at 2:00, and the wrestling championship at 4:00, then problem solved. Everyone can watch both.

[quote="PSUQuaker, post:9, topic:2011"]The women also play two fewer conference games, so that helps with the "cramming", too.[/quote]

Is there any rule against playing a game or two after the conference tournament? I realize that would be tough to do given when other conferences play their tournaments. I’m just asking the question.

Is there any rule against playing a game or two after the conference tournament? I realize that would be tough to do given when other conferences play their tournaments. I’m just asking the question.

No there is no rule. You can do that. In fact, St Mary’s men are doing exactly that this year.

Purdue defeats IU for the 3rd time this year today. So PU now faces the Lady Lions tomorrow @ 11:30 AM. It will be interesting to see if they can sweep the Lady Lions too now this season. Hopefully the 3rd time will be the charm for the Lady Lions!

WOW! # 11 seed Illinois, who only won 2 BT games all season, just knocked off # 6 seed Wisconsin 63-56.