PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Lady Lions' Bentley Named to Wade Trophy Watch List

Junior guard among 25 players on preseason Player of the Year chart

[quote=“CAPPY, post:1, topic:2623”]Junior guard among 25 players on preseason Player of the Year chart

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/082311aaa.html[/quote]

I think she’s a great player, but to be on this list as a junior is amazing.

Can’t wait for the season to start. I’m definitely going to the Big Ten Tournament this year.

Junior guard among 25 players on preseason Player of the Year chart

Lady Lions' Bentley Named to Wade Trophy Watch List :: Penn State :: Official Athletic Site

Can’t wait for the season to start. I’m definitely going to the Big Ten Tournament this year.

It seems that great players come in bunches in women’s college hoops. It’s tough to be in the same year as Brittany Griner, she will probably win most awards out there.

Same happened with Kelly Mazzante. She was the same year as Alana Beard and some other player that I can’t remember, and they seemed to dominate the awards for years.

[quote="CAPPY, post:1, topic:2623"]Junior guard among 25 players on preseason Player of the Year chart

It seems that great players come in bunches in women’s college hoops. It’s tough to be in the same year as Brittany Griner, she will probably win most awards out there.

Same happened with Kelly Mazzante. She was the same year as Alana Beard and some other player that I can’t remember, and they seemed to dominate the awards for years.

It was Diana Taurasi who won all the awards.

[quote="CAPPY, post:1, topic:2623"]Junior guard among 25 players on preseason Player of the Year chart

It was Diana Taurasi who won all the awards.

I really disliked Diana after watching the 2004 Lady Lion-Huskie NCAA game in Hartford, but I hated the NCAA for scheduling UConn for a home game in the NCAA tournament.

A good bit of Dianas antics that game were spurred on by the less than decent PSU fans that game, including the one wearing a DT shirt and a gorilla mask.

By the way, did you also hate the NCAA every time it gave PSU a home game in the tourney?

[quote="MillionaireMagic, post:5, topic:2623"]I really disliked Diana after watching the 2004 Lady Lion-Huskie NCAA game in Hartford, but [b]I hated the NCAA for scheduling UConn for a home game in the NCAA tournament[/b].[/quote]

A good bit of Dianas antics that game were spurred on by the less than decent PSU fans that game, including the one wearing a DT shirt and a gorilla mask.

By the way, did you also hate the NCAA every time it gave PSU a home game in the tourney?

If you remember, Penn State was the higher seed, but somehow they ended up playing AT UConn.

Yes, I do remember. PSU was the #1 seed and UConn was the #2 seed. So what? By necessity, the womens tourney has always selected their locations based on the best possible attendance. When they selected the regionals everyone knew that ‘if’ UConn mad the tourney, they would be in the East (Hartford) region. Just like everyone knew that if ODU made, they would be put in the Mideast (Norfolk) region, and they did as an 8 seed. And Oklohoma were put in the Midwest (Norman) regiopn as a 3 seed. Granted, neither ODU or OU made it to the regionals, but they were placed there in hopes of their fan’s draw.

Funny, I don’t remember any PSU fans complaining about the injustice when we’ve had the home court advantage as a lower seed, as recently as last year.

[quote="MillionaireMagic, post:5, topic:2623"]I really disliked Diana after watching the 2004 Lady Lion-Huskie NCAA game in Hartford, but I hated the NCAA for scheduling UConn for a home game in the NCAA tournament.[/quote]

Yeah, I know how it works with the sites set before anyone makes the tournament now.

Perhaps it was a culmination of following a team that in which I felt I had a lot of emotional investment, then seeing them as a #1 seed have to travel to Blacksburg and then Hartford to play “away” games against lower seeded teams. I didn’t realize that the sites were pre-determined at that time.

I totally missed the gorilla mask person. Can’t remember that at all.

I realize PSU received the same benefit this year that I was angry with in the past even though they couldn’t take advantage against DePaul.

What happens when “MONEY” is more important than fairness of competition! :-[