PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Lady Lions 96 Oakland 89

gopsusports.com: Lady Lions Rally to Down Oakland in Overtime, 96-89

WOW.

Seven players in double figures.

This game might be the catalyst to get me interested in Lady Lion Hoops again.

Ten years ago, I took in the Penn State/Duke game at the BJC. PSU lost 88-87 to #4 Duke but it was one helluva game. Freshman Kelly Mazzante got her first start and, even though she only scored 8 points, it was clear that she was the real deal. I left the game and went straight to the box office to grab season tickets.

I kept them for six years but by the time the 2006 season rolled around, I had had enough of Rene Portland and gave them up.

Since then, I may have been to maybe 2-3 games.

But reading the write-up of last nights comeback has piqued my interest again. I think Maggie Lucas has the potential to be a Mazzante like player. Maybe not quite as good a Kelly, but perhaps almost as exciting.

I’m going to use my season ticket Flex Book vouchers to go pick up tickets to the next few Lady Lions games. If this team continues to play like I think they can, I’ll be back in the season ticket fold.

i loved the kelly years. so many great players in that 4-5 year stretch.

As for the game, I listened to it, and our D was horrible. However, they found a way to win. CW was subbing in and out pretty heavily. This is why I like teams to have a real road game or two in the OoC, even if it is against a weak opponent. The whole travel issue is a big factor and it’s important for both the young & old players to be reminded of that early on.

We really need to cure Nikki Greene of the Michael Joseph disease. Last night she had 4 fouls in 6 minutes. The good news is that Frosh Ariel Edwards was able to come in and give us 33min & 16pts.

Been to the exhib & Rider game, granted not good competition, but I like a lot of what I see with this team.

Honestly, I think Maggie Lucas is a better player than Mazzante was as a Frosh. Better at distributing the ball, looks much more comfortable on defense. I’m comfortable with her ability to run the point from time to time. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed watching Mazz. However, like Pete Lisicky, she was never able, or asked to expand her game beyond being a great shooter. If Lucas stays healthy, she’s going to be really special.

[quote="UncleLar, post:2, topic:1515"]Ten years ago, I took in the Penn State/Duke game at the BJC. PSU lost 88-87 to #4 Duke but it was one helluva game. Freshman Kelly Mazzante got her first start and, even though she only scored 8 points, it was clear that she was the real deal. I left the game and went straight to the box office to grab season tickets.[/quote]

i loved the kelly years. so many great players in that 4-5 year stretch.

I always thought Jess Brungo was under appreciated (although CT certainly thought a lot of her since they drafted her before Mazzante - in retrospect, I guess that wasn’t the wisest however).

I think Mazz was good at stealing the ball, too. Maybe she wasn’t super fast, but she had good instincts. Her, Strom and Wright in the press, it was beautiful sometimes.

[quote="manatree, post:4, topic:1515"]Honestly, I think Maggie Lucas is [b]a better player than Mazzante was as a Frosh.[/b] Better at distributing the ball, looks much more comfortable on defense. I'm comfortable with her ability to run the point from time to time. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching Mazz. However, like Pete Lisicky, she was never able, or asked to expand her game beyond being a great shooter. If Lucas stays healthy, she's going to be really special.[/quote]

I think Mazz was good at stealing the ball, too. Maybe she wasn’t super fast, but she had good instincts. Her, Strom and Wright in the press, it was beautiful sometimes.

I liked Mazz, but I think that Maggie’s overall game is more complete coming in that Kelly’s was when she came in.

[quote="manatree, post:4, topic:1515"]Honestly, I think Maggie Lucas is [b]a better player than Mazzante was as a Frosh.[/b] Better at distributing the ball, looks much more comfortable on defense. I'm comfortable with her ability to run the point from time to time. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed watching Mazz. However, like Pete Lisicky, she was never able, or asked to expand her game beyond being a great shooter. If Lucas stays healthy, she's going to be really special.[/quote]

I liked Mazz, but I think that Maggie’s overall game is more complete coming in that Kelly’s was when she came in.

Hopefully Maggie and Gray keep hitting the threes, then everything’s gonna be okay.