PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Lady Lions 95 Rider 21

gopsusports.com: Lady Lions Roll Over Rider, 95-21

Yikes…37 turnovers for Rider.

Those types of games are no fun for anyone

The team looks talented, deep and confident. I’m pretty sure we’ll be watching them in the opening round of the NCAA at the BJC.

I think they’ll finish no lower than 3rd in the Big Ten as long as there’s no late season swoon again.

[quote=“MillionaireMagic, post:3, topic:1498”]The team looks talented, deep and confident. I’m pretty sure we’ll be watching them in the opening round of the NCAA at the BJC.

I think they’ll finish no lower than 3rd in the Big Ten as long as there’s no late season swoon again.[/quote]

…and young. With only 1 senior and 2 juniors on the roster, this crew looks like it’s on a huge upswing.

They do have some good young talent. Hopefully the early season experience that the bench is getting will pay off and help avoid the late season slumps. I am a bit worried with only 11 on teh roster. For what ever reason, many womens programs choose not to use all 15 scholarships.

If Greene could find a cure for the Michael Joseph disease, she could be a great post player. It also looks as if rumors on Maggie’s range are true.

I don’t really follow women’s college hoops, but is anybody bothered by a 74 point margin of victory? From the PSU website:

GAME NOTES: The 21 points allowed by the Lady Lions are the third fewest in program history during the shot clock era and the seventh lowest total in school history … The last time the Lady Lions allowed 21 points or fewer came in a 57-16 win at Dickinson on March 16, 1971 … The 74-point differential stands as the second highest margin of victory in program history. The largest differential still stands at 87 point in a 118-31 victory over Morgan St. (12/29/93) … The 74-point win is the largest margin of victory in Jordan Center history, besting the previous mark of 65 set on Jan. 2, 2000 vs. Northwestern (114-49) … The 21 points are the fewest the Lady Lions have ever allowed at the Bryce Jordan Center … The Lady Lions have scored 207 points in their first two games this season, the most in a two-game span since 1991 when Penn State netted 208 points in back-to-back wins over Niagara (116 pts.) and Ohio State (92 pts.) … The two-game total of 207 points ranks third all-time for most points in a two-game span … The Lady Lions forced Rider into 37 turnovers in the victory, the most since Jan. 29, 1999 when Penn State also forced 37 turnovers against Wisconsin … Penn State made 11 three-point baskets against Rider, two shy of the all-time school record for three-pointers made in a game (13 vs. St. Francis, Pa., 12/2/99 & at Dayton, 11/12/10) … Maggie Lucas notched the first 20-point game of her career with 22 tallies … Marisa Wolfe tied her career-best with six rebounds in the win. Her previous high of 6 boards came against Michigan (2/18/10) … Gizelle Studevent tied her career high of three rebounds, which previous came against Michigan (2/18/10) and Monmouth (12/9/09).

53-14 at halftime, and we outscored them 42-7 in the 2nd half. Not sure that’s a good match-up for either side. Should we have called off the dogs at all, or was a 74 point lead already doing that?

We played 10 of our 11 players on the roster. Most minutes was 25 by our starting point. Least amount was 14 by Nickson. We took the same amount of shots (34) in both halves. Attempted 11 3s in the first, only 5 in the second. Rider just couldn’t shoot or hold onto the ball. Rider shot 2-15 in the 1st and 3 of 24 in the 2nd. 20 to in the 1st and 17 in the 2nd.

I understand that you don’t want to humiliate another team. However, you also want to develop your bench in the OOC. I think CW is trying to develop a fast paced team from top to bottom. In my opinion, the only thing we could have done was to dribble until the shot clock expired. As poorly as Rider was shooting, I honestly don’t think anything would have helped there.