PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Lady Lion Recruit Candice Agee Plays in McDonald's High School All-America Game

Game is tonight! Will tip at 7 p.m. (ET) on ESPNU.

I find it unusual that she is the ONLY BIG TEN recruit on the entire McALL-American roster.

It’s not that unusual. The Big Ten usually only has one or two:

2011: Samantha Logic (Iowa) and Morgan Jones (Northwestern)
2010: Madison Williams (MSU) and Maggie Lucas (Penn State)
2009: Destiny Williams (Illinois - now Baylor)
2008: Samantha Prahalis (Ohio State)
2007: Jantel Lavender (Ohio State) and Alison Jackson (Ohio State)
2006: Amber Harris (Purdue) and Dela Quese Jernigan (Purdue)
2005: Tiffanie Shives (Michigan State)

[quote="Skeeza, post:2, topic:3210"]I find it unusual that she is the ONLY BIG TEN recruit on the entire McALL-American roster.[/quote]

It’s not that unusual. The Big Ten usually only has one or two:

2011: Samantha Logic (Iowa) and Morgan Jones (Northwestern)
2010: Madison Williams (MSU) and Maggie Lucas (Penn State)
2009: Destiny Williams (Illinois - now Baylor)
2008: Samantha Prahalis (Ohio State)
2007: Jantel Lavender (Ohio State) and Alison Jackson (Ohio State)
2006: Amber Harris (Purdue) and Dela Quese Jernigan (Purdue)
2005: Tiffanie Shives (Michigan State)

I don’t mean unusual as in “it is a rare occurance”.

I meant unusual in that the BIG TEN is supposed to be a power conference. So the fact that it is underrepresented in this roster (as well as historically) is a bit unusual.

It’s hard to go too far back for comparison, because of high schoolers jumping directly to the NBA, but here are the totals for the guys:

2012: 2 (5 undecided)
2011: 4
2010: 4
2009: 0
2008: 2
2007: 2
2006: 3
2005: * no NCAA requirement for NBA draft

That’s because the Big Ten isn’t the power conference in women’s hoops that it is in men’s.

Since 2006, there hasn’t been a single Big Ten women’s team in the Final Four.

Here’s how the other conferences stack up according to women’s Final Four teams since 2006.

ACC = 4
Big 12 = 5
Big East = 9
Pac10 = 5
SEC = 5

The Big Ten is clearly trailing. It’s just another example of how if you aren’t getting the Jimmys and Joes (or in this case, the Jennifers and Janes), it’s eventually going to show up in your results.

[quote=“CAPPY, post:1, topic:3210”]Game is tonight! Will tip at 7 p.m. (ET) on ESPNU.
[/quote]

UNIVERSITY PARK, PA. - Penn State signee Candice Agee (Victorville, Calif.) accounted for seven points and seven rebounds, but the West squad dropped a 79-78 decision in the 2012 McDonald’s Girls All-American game tonight for the West team. Bashaara Graves made one of two free throws with 0.3 seconds remaining to give the East the win.

Agee is the fourth McDonald’s All-American in school history and will be the third on the 2012-13 Lady Lion roster, joining Maggie Lucas (Narberth, Pa.) and Dara Taylor (Wilmington, Del.).

Agee is a highly touted recruit, ranking 34th by ESPN/HoopGurlz, 38th by Collegiate Girls Report, 17th by Blue Star Basketball and 40th by All-Star Girls Report and Peach State.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/032812aab.html