Lady Lion Head Coach Coquese Washington Signs Contract Extension

Extension will keep Washington on the Lady Lion sidelines through 2013-14

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/052510aaa.html

Good for her. I like the direction she seems headed. I think we’ll soon be back near the top of women’s hoops.

Neil Rudel demonstrates that he’s someone else who doesn’t understand how the recruiting game is played.

From the Altoona Mirror:

[i]- Noticed that Coquese Washington’s contract was extended as Penn State women’s basketball coach. Why? Washington did manage her first winning season last year (17-14) since arriving in 2007, but it ended with a home loss in the WNIT to Hofstra, and Washington was already under contract through the 2012 season. There’s no question she inherited the train wreck Rene Portland left, but Washington is averaging 16-plus losses per season. This is not to say she won’t get the job done eventually, but these next two years on her original contract should be sufficient time to prove that.

• Tim Curley also tripped over himself to extend Ed DeChellis after a 15-15 record in his third season (and a home loss to Rutgers in the NIT). Maybe the university just gets giddy at the mere sight of the NIT.[/i]