PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

L.O.I.s

Are we getting one today??

How about 2 :stuck_out_tongue:

The basketball signing period is different than the football signing period.

What is the hoop signing period??

Signing periods:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/nli/nli

Maybe there’s another Shawn “I’m going to play both sports” Oakman somewhere in this class (when exactly is he going to join the team anyway? :wink: ).

[quote="Tom, post:2, topic:3037"]The basketball signing period is different than the football signing period.[/quote]

Maybe there’s another Shawn “I’m going to play both sports” Oakman somewhere in this class (when exactly is he going to join the team anyway? :wink: ).

Oakman would be the big guy that we need as per “the Next 4” thread.

He is listed with a football height of 6’7", so that would translate to at least a 6’8" or 6’9" basketball player. :wink:

BTW…

Reviews are not favorable to this year’s football recruiting class.

They are ranked between Arizona and Oregon State. They are just behind other notables such as Louisville, Vandy, Maryland, and Northwestern.

[quote=“Skeeza, post:7, topic:3037”]BTW…

They are ranked between Arizona and Oregon State. They are just behind other notables such as Louisville, Vandy, Maryland, and Northwestern.[/quote]

Considering it had top 10 potential prior to the first week of November, and all that transpired since, I think the staff did a great job on this class. The staff got a few outstanding players and filled a lot of holes where we needed some depth. Next class will be very telling about the future of the program.

BTW...

They are ranked between Arizona and Oregon State. They are just behind other notables such as Louisville, Vandy, Maryland, and Northwestern.

Considering it had top 10 potential prior to the first week of November, and all that transpired since, I think the staff did a great job on this class. The staff got a few outstanding players and filled a lot of holes where we needed some depth. Next class will be very telling about the future of the program.

For perspective…

Oho State has the 3rd ranked class in the nation. 3 of thier top 4 recruits, as ranked by their positions, were Penn Staters. 2 commits (Shutt: 5th ranked DT and Reeves: 6th ranked CB), along with a kid that Penn State was closing with (Spence, 2nd ranked DE).

Ohio State should pay for our travel costs when they landed these recruits. >:(

It’s an average class that easily could have been much, much worse.

[quote="Skeeza, post:7, topic:3037"]BTW...

They are ranked between Arizona and Oregon State. They are just behind other notables such as Louisville, Vandy, Maryland, and Northwestern.[/quote]

For perspective…

Oho State has the 3rd ranked class in the nation. 3 of thier top 4 recruits, as ranked by their positions, were Penn Staters. 2 commits (Shutt: 5th ranked DT and Reeves: 6th ranked CB), along with a kid that Penn State was closing with (Spence, 2nd ranked DE).

Ohio State should pay for our travel costs when they landed these recruits. >:(

You can add Cam Williams and Joey O’Connor to that list. Both were highly touted recruits who flipped from PSU to OSU in the last couple of months.

Another reason to not get too excited (upset) over this class is our relative comparison to the rest of the B1G. Other than OSU and Michigan, no one else really outdid us.

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2012/02/2012_big_ten_conference_footba.html

I’m not happy that Ohio State took many of our football recruits. But remember you can get good recruits and still lose, look at Texas. They bring in top talent and haven’t been doing that well the past few seasons. We still have good players coming back this upcoming season. I know our recruiting class isn’t the best, but I’m hoping the coaching staff can develop the kids we have coming in.

Prior to the scandal, early in the recruiting, the choice was between Joe Paterno and Luke Fickell. Now, the choice is between Urban Meyer and Bill O’Brien. If you are a college athlete and the reputation of your coach is important, it’s pretty easy to see why there was a swing.

But remember you can get good recruits and still lose, look at Texas.

sure but does it work the other way? 9/10 the teams with more talent win.

None of this has anything to do with my thoughts on PSU’s recruiting, it’s just a general statement. We need very good players to win just like everyone else does, you can only smoke and mirror it for so long.

sure but does it work the other way? 9/10 the teams with more talent win.

None of this has anything to do with my thoughts on PSU’s recruiting, it’s just a general statement. We need very good players to win just like everyone else does, you can only smoke and mirror it for so long.[/quote]

I looked at the rankings of the entire B1G. Other than the Big 2, we are in the same area or better than every other school. And this was a horrible year due to the scandal, the long coaching search, and the coach still coaching his old team. I have no doubt next year’s class will be better. Heck, given that we’ll be going to Georgia and Florida already says this guy has a clue. I can’t wait to see what happens.