PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Kudos to Baylor University

Free admission will be granted to all patrons. All seats for Baylor season ticket holders will be honored for Wednesday's game.

http://www.baylorbears.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/020911aab.html

And they got 6000 to the game (averaging 6500). Though from reading local news, their weather problems were mostly that morning, and by evening things were OK.

Maybe. You don’t know how they count attendance. It’s quite possible that’s a tickets sold number which wouldn’t give you any idea what the actual crowd was.

I agree kudos!

But, I don’t see what the big deal is and can’t understand why many schools do not have "free days."
Particularly schools trying to built fan interest. The key word in the last sentence was TRYING.
But, it’s easier to blame JD and Rene.

I don’t see the big deal here.

They let people in free for 1 reason, concession sales. Not to build fan interest.

Illinois did the same thing for the Penn State game. There were not very many people there.

[quote=“Skeezer, post:5, topic:1920”]I don’t see the big deal here.

They let people in free for 1 reason, concession sales. Not to build fan interest.

Illinois did the same thing for the Penn State game. There were not very many people there.[/quote]

Concessions may be the primary reason…but it also is a marketing strategy!

But, really I was just making another “management not trying” rant.
After Jovigate I was hoping a couple of things would happen. First…several big hoop donors driving to the PSU President mansion to personally voice their displeasure and threaten cutting their donations. 2nd…The president calling the AD asking for an explanation. 3rd…The AD making a public statement to the effect that management would “look into” the situation. 4th…I didn’t get that far.
Then I woke up and realized that this is PSU…

[quote="Skeezer, post:5, topic:1920"]I don't see the big deal here.

Illinois did the same thing for the Penn State game. There were not very many people there.[/quote]

But, really I was just making another “management not trying” rant.

We basically did the same thing when we let the kids in during the snow storm when we played Ohio State a few years ago. I don’t see one heckuva lot of difference.

[quote="Skeezer, post:5, topic:1920"]I don't see the big deal here.

I don’t agree.

If it was a marketing decision, don’t you think that it would be done on a day where there was NOT a blizzard? If you want NEW people to show up, you would give free admission on days where it would not take a great effort to meerly show up.

Of those who braved the storms to show up to the games with free admission, how many do you think were NOT already fans?

Skeeza,
I meant “in general” freebies are a marketing strategy!! Not the specific Baylor snow storm freebies!
BUT, even at Baylor the “freebies” show good faith! A management show of “good faith” can have value for the future!

Like a management show of Bad Faith (see Jovigate) can have lasting negative value!