Kiss the Nation's attendance for Northwestern good-bye

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/01/14/event_set_for_feb_27.aspx

The boneheads in charge of State Patty’s Day decided to set the date for Saturday, February 27th. The Northwestern game is at noon the following day. Put 2 and 2 together…

Seriously, though, why is this still around? It serves absolutely no purpose anymore since Spring Break falls early. It actually had a prupose the first year when St. Patrick’s Day was during spring break. Now it’s just dumb.

And celebrating a faux St. Patrick’s Day in FEBRUARY? It makes absolutely no sense to me.

[quote=“NationBuilder, post:1, topic:649”]http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/01/14/event_set_for_feb_27.aspx

The boneheads in charge of State Patty’s Day decided to set the date for Saturday, February 27th. The Northwestern game is at noon the following day. Put 2 and 2 together…

Seriously, though, why is this still around? It serves absolutely no purpose anymore since Spring Break falls early. It actually had a prupose the first year when St. Patrick’s Day was during spring break. Now it’s just dumb.

And celebrating a faux St. Patrick’s Day in FEBRUARY? It makes absolutely no sense to me.[/quote]

Cheap way to make other college students come to town to hang out and make money for the downtown. I hate it but the bars make huge profits that day.

Is it still approved by anyone or is it organized by the bars only?

Seriously, though, why is this still around? It serves absolutely no purpose anymore since Spring Break falls early. It actually had a prupose the first year when St. Patrick's Day was during spring break. Now it's just dumb.

The same reason any other drinking tradition is around - because most young people (and plenty of old ones) will take any excuse they can to get completely obliterated from drinking.

My only deal with it is that I don’t understand the need for making up a reason to do so. It doesn’t stop them from drinking the other 30-some weekends they’re up here - the bars are pretty packed almost every Thursday-Saturday while students are in town.

And personally - I don’t think many of the bars care for it too much. It’s just another spot where they can get in trouble for dumb behavior from patrons, or where they have to spend an extra long day babysitting poor drinkers so they don’t get in trouble. The extra sales are nice, I’m sure - but the price they pay to achieve them on this type of drinking day has to seem questionable in worth sometimes, not to mention it will never replace the real St. Patty’s days and only ends up marginalizing sales on that traditional drinking day for people of all ages.

It’s just an annoyance, and I think most of the reason it’s still around is because some idiots on facebook enjoy having the “fame” behind saying they are keeping it alive. So famous that nobody actually knows who is running this thing still. ::slight_smile:

State Pattys day is around because Freshman get sooo excited to drink. I’ll have a beer or two, but I honestly don’t have any reason to just go get drunk off my a**

And we actually had a game over this once before and got a pretty decent number of students. They day after I’m not sure about tho…

mmm… beer

The same reason any other drinking tradition is around - because most young people (and plenty of old ones) will take any excuse they can to get completely obliterated from drinking.

My only deal with it is that I don’t understand the need for making up a reason to do so. It doesn’t stop them from drinking the other 30-some weekends they’re up here - the bars are pretty packed almost every Thursday-Saturday while students are in town.

And personally - I don’t think many of the bars care for it too much. It’s just another spot where they can get in trouble for dumb behavior from patrons, or where they have to spend an extra long day babysitting poor drinkers so they don’t get in trouble. The extra sales are nice, I’m sure - but the price they pay to achieve them on this type of drinking day has to seem questionable in worth sometimes, not to mention it will never replace the real St. Patty’s days and only ends up marginalizing sales on that traditional drinking day for people of all ages.

It’s just an annoyance, and I think most of the reason it’s still around is because some idiots on facebook enjoy having the “fame” behind saying they are keeping it alive. So famous that nobody actually knows who is running this thing still. ::)[/quote]

Its become a student tradition. It was started because PSU tried to curb partying on St. Patrick’s day, especially since it falls on weekdays a lot of the time. It has taken on a life of its own now. First Saturday before Spring break is State Patrick’s Day.

For the record, people will still show up. State Patty’s day is infamous for ending by 1 am or earlier…mainly because people get hammered during the day and pass out.

[quote=“NationBuilder, post:1, topic:649”]http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/01/14/event_set_for_feb_27.aspx

And celebrating a faux St. Patrick’s Day in FEBRUARY? It makes absolutely no sense to me.[/quote]
Is the state of Penn State basketball so weak, that people can now blame anticipated poor student attendance on a tradition that doesn’t even take place the day of the game? ::slight_smile:

[url=http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/01/14/event_set_for_feb_27.aspx]http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/01/14/event_set_for_feb_27.aspx[/url]

And celebrating a faux St. Patrick’s Day in FEBRUARY? It makes absolutely no sense to me.

Is the state of Penn State basketball so weak, that people can now blame anticipated poor student attendance on a tradition that doesn’t even take place the day of the game? ::slight_smile:

It appears that way!!!

I agree. Most of the people celebrating this pseudo-holiday weren’t even students when having a State Patty’s day mattered (and, fyi - not to go all UncleLar, but naming it State Patty’s day isn’t even correct. “Patty” is the feminine shorthand for Patricia. The masculine shorthand for Patrick is “Paddy.” I do believe the saint was a male, not a female. It just makes it kinda laughable, IMO).

Last year State “Patty’s” day was celebrated much more than the actual St. Patrick’s day was. I don’t get it… (or, well, maybe I do get it but would rather celebrate the actual day when possible).

Any good college drinker would be raring to go come noon after tying one on the night before.

[quote="NationBuilder, post:1, topic:649"][url=http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/01/14/event_set_for_feb_27.aspx]http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/01/14/event_set_for_feb_27.aspx[/url]

It appears that way!!!

There better not be a game the night of the Lost premiere!

ISn’t just basketball. Look at the football student section for noon games. Much of that has to do with drinking the night before.

[quote="NationBuilder, post:1, topic:649"][url=http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/01/14/event_set_for_feb_27.aspx]http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2010/01/14/event_set_for_feb_27.aspx[/url]

+1. Sorry Nation, but IMO that’s a pretty sorry excuse for lousy student attendance @ the NU game.

The attendance will be low because it’s NW and we suck.

:-[

and here I always thought you were one of the more positive fans surrounding this program.

Dark days indeed! :frowning:

Last year State Patty’s Day was during the Indiana game which also happened to be Senior Night, and the student section was fine.

The year before the game was on the night of State Patty’s Day as well, and it didn’t seem to hurt attendance more than the team’s record.

This year the game isn’t even on the actual day itself, but the following afternoon which doesn’t have any football games anymore. It’s not an ideal start time, but you’ll get that over the course of the season.

With THON normally being the weekend before State Patty’s Day, you’re going to have this more often than not.

I can’t wait for this weekend and will be sure to have a fun time. I will not pee on your police station.

[quote="Friznitz5, post:14, topic:649"]The attendance will be low because it's NW and we suck.[/quote]

and here I always thought you were one of the more positive fans surrounding this program.

Dark days indeed! :frowning:

I am positive. I’ll be watching. I’m also a realist. I saw the sweet 16 run and the Kevin Fellows years first hand. I know what losing does to attendance.