PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Keys to the season

The end goal is an NCAA tournament berth. Seems very, very far fetched, but here is the only realistic way I see it happening.

1. Buie needs to be legit. 14-16 points a game, taking it to the basket, in sync with Battle at the next level considering they have played hopefully a lot of hoops together. If Buie isn’t the #2 guy on this team, I don’t see how PSU can beat enough teams to get an NCAA type record.

2. Frazier needs to have developed a left handed dribble and a resptecable shot. Doesn’t mean he has to be a good shooter, but good enough to keep the other team honest. Also will have to take it to the next level in control of his game, can’t be so wild. Needs to be able to penetrate and dish and make shots for teammates.

3. Jones/Brooks need to play acceptable basketball. Being realistic, both have been in the program long enough that expecting them to reach that ‘potential’ everybody had for them as freshman I just don’t see happenning. But if both of them play like last year, this team can’t win. They need to both be able to play reasonble post defense and be able to rebound. Anything more than that is a bonus.

4. Jackson has to be able to hit the mid range jumper. Assuming the 3 guards can penetrate, DJ should be able to get a lot of open looks in the 10-14 foot range and has to be able to make those open shots with high effeciency.

5. Marshall or Woodyard or Oliver has to be able to be a glue guy. Everyteam has that one player that doesn’t do anything great but just is a good role player. Some combination of these guys is going to be able to have to play 10-20 minutes per game and be able to keep the train rolling.

6. Coaching staff has to improve dramatically. The NIT run was basically Battle, Cornley, and Pringle making plays. The staff needs to recognize what they have and design an offense around it. When I watch most games, it looks/feels like PSU is just out gameplanned and out game day coached. Can’t have that and get to the NCAA.

Good post 11. I think the biggest key is #3. I think they may "figure it out!"
Bigger players just seem to take more time than smaller players. Look at ~itt. 6-11 Gary McGhee is getting a LOT of hype. Lot of NBA talk. A couple of years ago I talked to several hardcore ~itters who were sure he was a “total failure.” To the point of taking away his ship.
Let’s let the season play out…then we can comment on our “eyeballs.”

I agree that we’re going to have to have more than 1 double digit scorer but I think it’s asking too much of Taran to score 14-16 a game. That’s a lot of points. Jamelle barely averaged 14ppg his senior year. I think the team needs to pick up the scoring collectively. I’d like to see Taran around 10ppg and DJ around 10ppg.

I think we’re depending on Tim too much this year. At this point, his job is going to be to spell Talor for a few minutes each game and grabbing a few more minutes at the 2. He’s going to have to make a HUGE improvement on his jumpshot to get a lot of run. I think next year is the year Tim will emerge. He’ll be the point playing with 2 guys that can score (buie and bowman).

We need to develope some sort of inside play. Jones, Brooks, and DJ need to get their butts in the post and put the ball in the basket a few times a game. I don’t think Jeff is going to realize his potential as a SF so it’s time for him to do the dirty work. Block shots, rebound, and get a few easy buckets! Jones has just got to play D and board.

More on that note, Brooks is going to get some time at the 5. He’s GOT to get tougher.

I think we need DJ or Jones or Brooks to be the glue guy. We need the newbies to bring it.

We need some defenders. Babb was a really nice defender last year. I’m hoping Buie can be that guy and it sounds like his energy is contagious. I’m hoping that him, Battle, and Bowman can become a nasty perimeter defensive unit. If our D still stinks, we’ll never get into a fast paced game which is what this team needs to do.

Lastly, 2 shooters need to emerge. Battle will continue to be streaky so defenders have to worry about him but we need Marshall, Woodyard, Bowman, or Buie to be a reliable 3pt shooter. I have really high hopes for Bowman, though I’ve never seen him play. Just from his highlights and from what the coaches said, he’s got to emerge for this team to have a chance.

Maryland 62 PSU 39

I agree with tundra…Point #3 is the key. They really do need to step up and be counted. If we see the kind of Andrew Jones that we saw during the team’s NIT run this season, then maybe this team has a shot at great things.

I honestly don’t feel an NCAA run is “very, very far-fetched”. Yes the Big Ten is brutal this season, but then again eight bids might not be out of the question in this first year of the expanded tournament. Have a strong OOC run (win 2 of 3 vs VaTech/Ole Miss/Maryland). Finish in front of Iowa, Indiana, Northwestern and Michigan in conference and maybe shock someone in the BTT and they might stamp their ticket.

People will always internalize and say we need more from this player or that player and that’s all good. What they fail to look at is what they will face externally in the form of their opponents. With Hummel now out for the season (not that PSU has a chance to beat a Hummel-less Boiler team) and a few other injuries or unforeseen issues, PSU might luck out a little and finish seventh (same as 2001 :)) in a very strong league that should indeed get at least seven bids.

Teams PSU is not finishing in front of this season:

Purdue
MSU
Illinois
Ohio State
Wisconsin - Bo Ryan can pick up 5 boys off of a farm and still be competitive - wait, he does that every year.
Minnesota - then again Al Nolen can flunk his classes again.

Teams PSU will battle for the #7 spot

Northwestern
Michigan
Indiana

Sorry Iowa…not this year.

For all of the time that we spend talking about the offensive end, I think the defensive end will be the key to where we go this season. We need to force more turnovers, we were one of the worst teams in the country at it last year, and that alone will lead to more easy buckets at the offensive end. We also need to do a better job contesting shots and not giving up any easy baskets. I never thought that our “on ball” defense was awful, however our help defense was horrible at times last season. We need to do a better job of rotating and closing out on shooters.

On offense, we really need a couple of outside shooters to step up and replace Babb. We also need Jones/Brooks/DJ to step up and play with confidence at the offensive end. 2 years ago, I thought Jones was on his way to becoming a 10-12 ppg scorer. I think that all 3 of those guys have the ability to score double digits on any given night, but we need waymore consistancy from at least 2 of them.

Most importantly though, we need to win close games. 2 years ago, we won way more close games than we should have won. Last year, we couldn’t buy a win in a close game. I’m a big believer in Pomeroy numbers, and we ended last year ranked in the top 100 and should have won several more games than we did. The key this year will be winning the close ones, staying healthy, and getting some breaks.

[quote=“Cletus11, post:1, topic:1408”]The end goal is an NCAA tournament berth. Seems very, very far fetched, but here is the only realistic way I see it happening.

1. Buie needs to be legit. 14-16 points a game, taking it to the basket, in sync with Battle at the next level considering they have played hopefully a lot of hoops together. If Buie isn’t the #2 guy on this team, I don’t see how PSU can beat enough teams to get an NCAA type record.

2. Frazier needs to have developed a left handed dribble and a resptecable shot. Doesn’t mean he has to be a good shooter, but good enough to keep the other team honest. Also will have to take it to the next level in control of his game, can’t be so wild. Needs to be able to penetrate and dish and make shots for teammates.

3. Jones/Brooks need to play acceptable basketball. Being realistic, both have been in the program long enough that expecting them to reach that ‘potential’ everybody had for them as freshman I just don’t see happenning. But if both of them play like last year, this team can’t win. They need to both be able to play reasonble post defense and be able to rebound. Anything more than that is a bonus.

4. Jackson has to be able to hit the mid range jumper. Assuming the 3 guards can penetrate, DJ should be able to get a lot of open looks in the 10-14 foot range and has to be able to make those open shots with high effeciency.

5. Marshall or Woodyard or Oliver has to be able to be a glue guy. Everyteam has that one player that doesn’t do anything great but just is a good role player. Some combination of these guys is going to be able to have to play 10-20 minutes per game and be able to keep the train rolling.

6. Coaching staff has to improve dramatically. The NIT run was basically Battle, Cornley, and Pringle making plays. The staff needs to recognize what they have and design an offense around it. When I watch most games, it looks/feels like PSU is just out gameplanned and out game day coached. Can’t have that and get to the NCAA.[/quote]

7. Don’t think Buie “has to be legit”. However, one of the players we haven’t seen play yet probably needs to be legit. I don’t think any of our experienced players is going to make a big enough improvement to take us over the top without additional support. Could be Buie, Graham, Marshall or Bowman – or even Oliver.

8. Frazier has hopefully improved his shooting enough that opponents have to play him honest.

9. We’ve seen glimpses from both Brooks and Jones that lead us to believe they have some skills. We need them both to be consistent enough that we aren’t having to change the gameplan by the second TV timeout.

10. Jackson had a couple of huge games last year. And his scoring actually INCREASED during conference play. I’d love to see him show senior leadership and not disappear every other game or so.

11. I’m hoping Marshall and/or Oliver provide something we were missing last year. Whether that means a slasher who can shoot from long range or a banger on the glass. I think Woodyard’s best contribution could be similar to Danny M’s role his senior year – come off the bench and hit some big 3’s.

12. I’m not going to toss the staff under the bus. They came out strong against teams like Michigan and Wisconsin only to blow late leads. I don’t remember either of those meltdowns being the result of poor coaching. Seemed to me the team just tightened up and stopped doing what got them the lead. I didn’t notice any style change that would indicate the staff made any adjustments – just a bunch of bad turnovers and forced shots.

Lar says this all the time, and I think he is dead on with it. Few people ever talk about defense, it always seems to be offense.

Like frats, I think defense is the true key. I don’t care as much about post scoring as I do post defense. I don’t care who steps up with Talor on offense around the arc as I do about defending the other team’s shooters.

Even djones was stating that the the key is creating turnovers.

Defense will win games. Even if your offense improves, I really don’t see us ‘outscoring’ many teams.

DATE OPPONENT TIME/RESULT
11/13 PENN W 70-55
11/16 RMU W 80-61
11/19 vs. UNCW L 80-69
11/20 vs. TULN L 63-60
11/22 vs. DAV W 59-57
11/25 SHU W 87-75
11/30 @ UVA W 69-66
12/05 @ TEM L 45-42
12/08 UMBC W 58-42
12/12 VT L 66-64
12/19 WEBB W 104-57
12/21 AMER W 76-57
12/29 @ MINN L 75-70
1/03 WIS L 63-46
1/07 MICH L 64-55
1/12 @ ILL L 54-53
1/16 @ IOWA L 67-64
1/21 IND L 67-61
1/24 @ WIS L 79-71 OT
1/27 ILL L 77-67
1/31 @ PUR L 66-46
2/03 @ OSU L 75-62
2/06 MINN L 66-64
2/13 MSU L 65-54
2/17 @ NW W 81-70
2/20 @ MICH W 55-51
2/24 OSU L 75-67
2/28 NW W 79-60
3/04 @ MSU L 67-65
3/06 PUR L 64-60
3/11 vs. MINN L 76-55

I think the key is 72. If we average 72 ppg I think we dance. So that’s 18 ppg for Talor and 12 ppg for DJ. So I need 42 more ppg. If we get Talor’s freshman production from Taran, that’s 10 ppg. I want 8 ppg from Drew and Brooks. That’s 56.

So we need 16 ppg from Tre, Tim, Oliver, Marshall, Camm and Graham. I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibilities.

I also think we need to shoot FT’s at an 80% clip at least instead of the 71% we shot last year. Last year we shot about 17 FT’s per game and made made about 12 per game. If we shot 80% that’s 2 ppg right there. I’ll take a free bucket every game. It doesn’t even take into the front ends of 1 and 1’s that we missed and never got the bonus.

[quote=“jjepsu92, post:8, topic:1408”]DATE OPPONENT TIME/RESULT
11/13 PENN W 70-55
11/16 RMU W 80-61
11/19 vs. UNCW L 80-69
11/20 vs. TULN L 63-60
11/22 vs. DAV W 59-57
11/25 SHU W 87-75
11/30 @ UVA W 69-66
12/05 @ TEM L 45-42
12/08 UMBC W 58-42
12/12 VT L 66-64
12/19 WEBB W 104-57
12/21 AMER W 76-57
12/29 @ MINN L 75-70
1/03 WIS L 63-46
1/07 MICH L 64-55
1/12 @ ILL L 54-53
1/16 @ IOWA L 67-64
1/21 IND L 67-61
1/24 @ WIS L 79-71 OT
1/27 ILL L 77-67
1/31 @ PUR L 66-46
2/03 @ OSU L 75-62
2/06 MINN L 66-64
2/13 MSU L 65-54
2/17 @ NW W 81-70
2/20 @ MICH W 55-51
2/24 OSU L 75-67
2/28 NW W 79-60
3/04 @ MSU L 67-65
3/06 PUR L 64-60
3/11 vs. MINN L 76-55

I think the key is 72. If we average 72 ppg I think we dance. So that’s 18 ppg for Talor and 12 ppg for DJ. So I need 42 more ppg. If we get Talor’s freshman production from Taran, that’s 10 ppg. I want 8 ppg from Drew and Brooks. That’s 56.

So we need 16 ppg from Tre, Tim, Oliver, Marshall, Camm and Graham. I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibilities.

I also think we need to shoot FT’s at an 80% clip at least instead of the 71% we shot last year. Last year we shot about 17 FT’s per game and made made about 12 per game. If we shot 80% that’s 2 ppg right there. I’ll take a free bucket every game. It doesn’t even take into the front ends of 1 and 1’s that we missed and never got the bonus.[/quote]

That’s probably asking a lot since BYU led the country in free throw shooting at 79%. You’re only asking the guys to go from their 111th ranking to 1st and that’s not reasonable.

This team isn’t shooting 80% from the line. Not a single team has hit 80% in the last 7 years in D1.

From everything I have read Buie is not an efficient foul shooter. His reputation on how well he penetrates and takes it to the rim is encouraging. Penetrators get to foul line, but in his case it is tempered by the concern over his suspect foul shooting ability.
Less than 65% will be hard toward creating team success. If Buie can hit anything over 70% I think it could go a very long with for this team.
In my memory the best foul shooting team we have had was the 1991 NCAA team.
I just looked it up and their shooting percentage for the 1991 team was 75.9%, bettered only by the 2001 team with Joe and Titus hitting at .873% and .899% respectively which carried that team to an overall .764%. Across the board the 1991 team was stronger though.

It should not be lost that 2 out of our 3 dance teams in the last (sadly) 20 years were not only good foul shooting teams but the 2 best foul shooting teams Penn State has ever had.

[quote=“LPcreation, post:3, topic:1408”]I agree that we’re going to have to have more than 1 double digit scorer but I think it’s asking too much of Taran to score 14-16 a game. That’s a lot of points. Jamelle barely averaged 14ppg his senior year. I think the team needs to pick up the scoring collectively. I’d like to see Taran around 10ppg and DJ around 10ppg.

I think we’re depending on Tim too much this year. At this point, his job is going to be to spell Talor for a few minutes each game and grabbing a few more minutes at the 2. He’s going to have to make a HUGE improvement on his jumpshot to get a lot of run. I think next year is the year Tim will emerge. He’ll be the point playing with 2 guys that can score (buie and bowman).

We need to develope some sort of inside play. Jones, Brooks, and DJ need to get their butts in the post and put the ball in the basket a few times a game. I don’t think Jeff is going to realize his potential as a SF so it’s time for him to do the dirty work. Block shots, rebound, and get a few easy buckets! Jones has just got to play D and board.

More on that note, Brooks is going to get some time at the 5. He’s GOT to get tougher.

I think we need DJ or Jones or Brooks to be the glue guy. We need the newbies to bring it.

We need some defenders. Babb was a really nice defender last year. I’m hoping Buie can be that guy and it sounds like his energy is contagious. I’m hoping that him, Battle, and Bowman can become a nasty perimeter defensive unit. If our D still stinks, we’ll never get into a fast paced game which is what this team needs to do.

Lastly, 2 shooters need to emerge. Battle will continue to be streaky so defenders have to worry about him but we need Marshall, Woodyard, Bowman, or Buie to be a reliable 3pt shooter. I have really high hopes for Bowman, though I’ve never seen him play. Just from his highlights and from what the coaches said, he’s got to emerge for this team to have a chance. [/quote]

Pretty much agree with this entire post save one thing, “you’re hoping Buie can be that guy” to replace Babb on D? Buie can possibly make 1st team all Big 10 defense as a freshman. Babb was decent his second year, but not great. Buie’s in your face in a major way, like Jacob Pullen. The #2’s in the league better work on their handle. Read espn’s comments on his defense in one of their earlier writeups. 14-16ppg? I don’t think so either. 10ppg, like Jamelle and Talor. Lots of rebounds. He and Talor could be #1 and 2 in rpg, while interesting, not really a good sign. I think Bowman may be the added 3 shooter. I have high hopes for him too. The front line? I got my fingers crossed. I’m hoping Oliver and Graham can do something, AJ rebounds and DJ plays like last year. Brooks? Just don’t know. Can be terrific, but streaky. I expect 3 g offense most of the time.

I’m starting to think this team could finish higher then the experts. I’d be willing to contemplate 6th place, in front of IU, Iowa, UM, NW and maybe Minny, one difference from NittanyIllini’s picks. I’m not a Tubby fan, though they finished great last season 7-2 in conference, beating IL, MSU and Purdue. I just think we’ll be more athletic this year, which should help vs. them. First two games are away, IU and Michigan. For good season, need to win those two.

Edit: forget going to espn, just read PSUStretch’s tweets.

If the NCAA tournament is very far fetched, then I don’t think the program is ever going to an NCAA tourney under DeChellis. This is probably one of his best chances, and the cupboard does not exactly look full after the year. I would think they are at least close this year

[quote="Cletus11, post:1, topic:1408"]The end goal is an NCAA tournament berth. Seems very, very far fetched, but here is the only realistic way I see it happening.[/quote]

If the NCAA tournament is very far fetched, then I don’t think the program is ever going to an NCAA tourney under DeChellis. This is probably one of his best chances, and the cupboard does not exactly look full after the year. I would think they are at least close this year

I don’t think it’s far fetched. Won’t be easy, but should finish ahead of IU, Iowa, NW and UM and hopefully one other, my guess Minny. But IL is a strange team, Purdue lost Hummel, OSU Turner and MSU Allen and Morgan(though OSU got Sullinger, who should create problems). Will definitely be better than last year, just don’t know how much. 1st two games, then next three home games tell the tale.

[quote="Cletus11, post:1, topic:1408"]The end goal is an NCAA tournament berth. Seems very, very far fetched, but here is the only realistic way I see it happening.[/quote]

I don’t think it’s far fetched. Won’t be easy, but should finish ahead of IU, Iowa, NW and UM and hopefully one other, my guess Minny. But IL is a strange team, Purdue lost Hummel, OSU Turner and MSU Allen and Morgan(though OSU got Sullinger, who should create problems). Will definitely be better than last year, just don’t know how much. 1st two games, then next three home games tell the tale.

I have some optimism for this year. I think people are underestimating how good the seniors may be down the stretch. I am still underwhelmed by the scheduling, but it is at least a small improvement. I think this team will go to the dance, really.

Wow kid, you’re really going out on a limb there! ;D
I’m not saying anything hasn’t been said by others but I just can’t imagine how this team makes it unless Brooks and Jones get a lot less timid, Jackson becomes a legit consistent scoring threat, and Buie comes in and does everything you’ve been saying he can do. And even then I think its a stretch. I suppose there are other scenarios with other players coming to the forefront, but I think what I spelled out is by far the most likely to happen. And I just don’t have any confidence that it all will.

The team last year often reminded me of Mark Macon’s last Temple team that we beat back in 1991. With a game on the line you knew with 1000% percent certainty that Macon was going to get the shot. The only differences were that Temple played its normal fantastic D and they also had 2 guys named Eddie Jones and Aaron McKie along with some other guys who could play. Those are some pretty big differences.

[quote="LPcreation, post:3, topic:1408"]I agree that we're going to have to have more than 1 double digit scorer but I think it's asking too much of Taran to score 14-16 a game. That's a lot of points. Jamelle barely averaged 14ppg his senior year. I think the team needs to pick up the scoring collectively. I'd like to see Taran around 10ppg and DJ around 10ppg.

Lastly, 2 shooters need to emerge. Battle will continue to be streaky so defenders have to worry about him but we need Marshall, Woodyard, Bowman, or Buie to be a reliable 3pt shooter. I have really high hopes for Bowman, though I’ve never seen him play. Just from his highlights and from what the coaches said, he’s got to emerge for this team to have a chance.[/quote]

Pretty much agree with this entire post save one thing, “you’re hoping Buie can be that guy” to replace Babb on D? Buie can possibly make 1st team all Big 10 defense as a freshman. Babb was decent his second year, but not great. Buie’s in your face in a major way, like Jacob Pullen. The #2’s in the league better work on their handle. Read espn’s comments on his defense in one of their earlier writeups. 14-16ppg? I don’t think so either. 10ppg, like Jamelle and Talor. Lots of rebounds. He and Talor could be #1 and 2 in rpg, while interesting, not really a good sign. I think Bowman may be the added 3 shooter. I have high hopes for him too. The front line? I got my fingers crossed. I’m hoping Oliver and Graham can do something, AJ rebounds and DJ plays like last year. Brooks? Just don’t know. Can be terrific, but streaky. I expect 3 g offense most of the time.

I’m starting to think this team could finish higher then the experts. I’d be willing to contemplate 6th place, in front of IU, Iowa, UM, NW and maybe Minny, one difference from NittanyIllini’s picks. I’m not a Tubby fan, though they finished great last season 7-2 in conference, beating IL, MSU and Purdue. I just think we’ll be more athletic this year, which should help vs. them. First two games are away, IU and Michigan. For good season, need to win those two.

Nothing I saw watching Buie play defense last year for State High would suggest he is a defensive stopper. Maybe the system wasn’t to his liking, or maybe he wasn’t comfortable with his teammates, but he was not a defensive demon last year. He took plays off, seemed disinterested at times, and got beat off the dribble by some kids that should never have beaten him. We’ll see, but based on last season, I’m not counting on him being our defensive stopper.

[quote="LPcreation, post:3, topic:1408"]I agree that we're going to have to have more than 1 double digit scorer but I think it's asking too much of Taran to score 14-16 a game. That's a lot of points. Jamelle barely averaged 14ppg his senior year. I think the team needs to pick up the scoring collectively. I'd like to see Taran around 10ppg and DJ around 10ppg.

Lastly, 2 shooters need to emerge. Battle will continue to be streaky so defenders have to worry about him but we need Marshall, Woodyard, Bowman, or Buie to be a reliable 3pt shooter. I have really high hopes for Bowman, though I’ve never seen him play. Just from his highlights and from what the coaches said, he’s got to emerge for this team to have a chance.[/quote]

Nothing I saw watching Buie play defense last year for State High would suggest he is a defensive stopper. Maybe the system wasn’t to his liking, or maybe he wasn’t comfortable with his teammates, but he was not a defensive demon last year. He took plays off, seemed disinterested at times, and got beat off the dribble by some kids that should never have beaten him. We’ll see, but based on last season, I’m not counting on him being our defensive stopper.

I saw the ability when he wanted to. The challenge will be to keep him motivated about shutting his man down.

SCAHS played 100% zone. Any good defensive player would be bored, unless maybe you’re a center. Geoff Petrie, GM of the Sacramento Kings, and former Princeton and NBA star, once sent a note to Pete Carrill, “I’ll send you a check for $10,000 for the program if you stop playing zone.” In HS, teams that play zone are usually looking to hide weak defensive players, or slower players. Any good player who loves full court pressure or man to man would be disappointed in not getting the opportunity to do so. It’s like a speedy player forced to play four corners offense. I also don’t think they’ll be any challenge to keep him motivated. Will he shut down everybody? I doubt it. But I can’t wait to see if he gets E’Twuan Moore, Summers, Buford, maybe McCamey and Lucas too. NFW anyone on the team is better at D. NFW. I thought Frazier was okay, certainly had the speed, but he sometimes belted guys, almost like he lost his cool on occasion. Saw that several times. Don’t think you’ll see that with Ron Boog. :wink:

I have some optimism for this year. I think people are underestimating how good the seniors may be down the stretch. I am still underwhelmed by the scheduling, but it is at least a small improvement. I think this team will go to the dance, really.

Hopefully, you don’t gamble!