PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Kentucky recruit

Does he have “pro status??”

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5544773

His prior team says “yes”…the player"s people say situation is NO DIFFERENT with US prep kids getting $40,000 prep school scholorships…interesting!

P.S. I like the issue because it addresses the “private school” discussion in another thread! Nobody seems to care that private schools scholorships for basketball is “paying” HS kids.

Karakas said the Turkish team provided housing for Kanter and his family for more than three years. It also gave him food and pocket money and paid Kanter more than $6,500 a month in salary during his final season.

Does the name Reggie Bush ring a bell?

I understand that the youth programs in the US and Europe are different, but COME ON !!!

If an American sophomore went overseas and played under the same deal, would he be considered eligible for NCAA competition?

What was the issue Jagla had? Wasn’t it that he played with pros overseas, but wasn’t paid himself? Did they change that rule?

[quote=“Skeeza, post:2, topic:1334”][quote]Karakas said the Turkish team provided housing for Kanter and his family for more than three years. It also gave him food and pocket money and paid Kanter more than $6,500 a month in salary during his final season.
[/quote]

Does the name Reggie Bush ring a bell?

I understand that the youth programs in the US and Europe are different, but COME ON !!!

If an American sophomore went overseas and played under the same deal, would he be considered eligible for NCAA competition?[/quote]I agree. You can argue about the living expenses, but the $6500/month salary last year seals the deal. This guy is a pro.

[quote=“JohnT, post:3, topic:1334”]What was the issue Jagla had? Wasn’t it that he played with pros overseas, but wasn’t paid himself? Did they change that rule?[/quote]Uh oh…I hope we won’t be stripped of one of those 11th place finishes.

Jagla played in a league or for a club where some of the players were pros, but Jan was not. What always struck me is that kids here in teh states often play in summer leagues with NBA players with no penalty.

[quote="JohnT, post:3, topic:1334"]What was the issue Jagla had? Wasn't it that he played with pros overseas, but wasn't paid himself? Did they change that rule?[/quote]

Jagla played in a league or for a club where some of the players were pros, but Jan was not. What always struck me is that kids here in teh states often play in summer leagues with NBA players with no penalty.

He also played high school ball in the states for a year before he came to PSU. The delay in his approval seemed to be just a case of the NCAA taking their sweet time.

[quote="JohnT, post:3, topic:1334"]What was the issue Jagla had? Wasn't it that he played with pros overseas, but wasn't paid himself? Did they change that rule?[/quote]

He also played high school ball in the states for a year before he came to PSU. The delay in his approval seemed to be just a case of the NCAA taking their sweet time.

Looks like just another example of how the NCAA tries to hold PSU down. Make sure you get this to the desk of PSUChamp08 ASAP.

I forgot about that…a friend of mine questioned how he could be amateur for high school, but not for college.