PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Keno Davis

So I sent Keno a FB message questioning his recent friendship with Taran Buie and I got a reply earlier today.

Friend requests of any potential recruits would only have been sent out before any committment. I wouldn't request someone that has already announced a decision.

Any thoughts on what any of this means, if anything?

[quote=“pmhewitt, post:1, topic:1228”]So I sent Keno a FB message questioning his recent friendship with Taran Buie and I got a reply earlier today.

Any thoughts on what any of this means, if anything?[/quote]

It means he knows what the NCAA rules regarding electronic communications are.

[quote="pmhewitt, post:1, topic:1228"]So I sent Keno a FB message questioning his recent friendship with Taran Buie and I got a reply earlier today.

Well that’s one way of looking at it.

[quote="pmhewitt, post:1, topic:1228"]So I sent Keno a FB message questioning his recent friendship with Taran Buie and I got a reply earlier today.

That doesn’t seem likely. Taran is on there all the time

My comment was about Keno. Taran can spend all the time that he wants on FB without violating any NCAA rules.

My comment was about Keno. Taran can spend all the time that he wants on FB without violating any NCAA rules.

I know, what I’m saying is that Keno stated that he wouldn’t friend somebody who had already commited. For that to be true Taran would have to have not responded to the friend request for almost a year before responding to it. He’ accepts requests daily, for him to just randomly not touch Keno’s doesn’t seem likely, it’s much more likely Keno friended him after the fact and just made some blanket statement.

I know, what I’m saying is that Keno stated that he wouldn’t friend somebody who had already commited. For that to be true Taran would have to have not responded to the friend request for almost a year before responding to it. He’ accepts requests daily, for him to just randomly not touch Keno’s doesn’t seem likely, it’s much more likely Keno friended him after the fact and just made some blanket statement.

And by not acknowledging such to Hewey, Keno demonstrates that he knows what the NCAA rules are so he doesn’t admit to a violation.

Well let’s see if and how he responds to my reply:

Well that is good to hear. Then as a PSU hoops fan (yes we exist) I guess I should be concerned that Taran only recently accepted your friend request, long after he commited to PSU.

I’m guessing he won’t.

If NCAA would catch up to all the internet websites such as facebook, there would millions of violations I would bet.

Are you sure about that? Kelvin Sampson is coaching in the NBA now. ;D

[quote=“pmhewitt, post:8, topic:1228”]Well let’s see if and how he responds to my reply:

I’m guessing he won’t.[/quote]

I was wrong. My new buddy Keno wrote back to me:

I wouldn't be concerned or read anything into recruits or current players accepting Facebook requests. I use it so that I can contact our recruits that check their Facebook more than their email.

He just said he uses it to contact recruits. Taran is not one of his recruits. He is signed to another team. If he is contacting players on other teams it sounds like a violation to me.

It’s a violation if he sends Taran messages directly or posts on Taran’s wall. It’s not if he just posts stuff on his FB page and Taran reads it.

Pardon my Facebook ignorance, since I am not a member of the Facebook society, but what’s the difference contacting a player from another team without having the player initiate contact is against the NCAA isn’t it.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:12, topic:1228"]He just said he uses it to contact recruits. Taran is not one of his recruits. He is signed to another team. If he is contacting players on other teams it sounds like a violation to me.[/quote]

It’s a violation if he sends Taran messages directly or posts on Taran’s wall. It’s not if he just posts stuff on his FB page and Taran reads it.

Unless he posts stuff on his wall about Taran (depends what the content is though).

For one thing, you can’t tell who initiated the contact.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:12, topic:1228"]He just said he uses it to contact recruits. Taran is not one of his recruits. He is signed to another team. If he is contacting players on other teams it sounds like a violation to me.[/quote]

Unless he posts stuff on his wall about Taran (depends what the content is though).

That’s true.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:14, topic:1228"]Pardon my Facebook ignorance, since I am not a member of the Facebook society, but what's the difference contacting a player from another team without having the player initiate contact is against the NCAA isn't it.[/quote]

For one thing, you can’t tell who initiated the contact.

I think you can Lar. Whenever I friend request someone, I get a status update that says something like, “So and So has accepted your friend request”. Whenever someone requests to be my friend, I get an update that says something like, “you have confirmed youre friends with Megan Fox”.

Maybe I’m just not following the situation jjepsu is asking but I’m pretty sure if I logged onto someone’s account I could figure out how he/she contacted and who contacted them.

[quote=“LPcreation, post:18, topic:1228”]I think you can Lar. Whenever I friend request someone, I get a status update that says something like, “So and So has accepted your friend request”. Whenever someone requests to be my friend, I get an update that says something like, “you have confirmed youre friends with Megan Fox”.

Maybe I’m just not following the situation jjepsu is asking but I’m pretty sure if I logged onto someone’s account I could figure out how he/she contacted and who contacted them.[/quote]

One thing to consider is that an account like Keno Davis is going to get more requests than the average person. Since the purpose of people like coaches, schools, companies, etc. having Facebook accounts is for publicity and reach as many people as possible, whoever logs into Keno’s account is going to accept every single friend request without even looking at who it is. If I created a Facebook account with the name Dave I. S. Sukkassato and request to be Keno’s friend, it would be accepted.

Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more…

LP, like I said I don’t use Facebook so I don’t know how it works.

But I guess what I am asking is, if Keno requested Taran as a friend request. He would be initiating contact and therefore wouldn’t that be a violation?