PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Keady hired at St. Johns

Some guys will never quit.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/news/story?id=5686861

Do you think all that black hair spakle is free?

It does give better rep to Lavin having him on staff though. I always thought he didn’t really want to leave Purdue when he did. Well no more Gene on TV of BigTen Network.

Highlight of my PSU Basketball Blue Band career was getting under his shirt so much he flipped us off as he walked to the locker rooms at halftime.

I used to love when he’d do the hand comb over during games after he’d just lose it over a ref call.

Gotta give it to Lavs. He’s going to succeed at St John’s or die trying.

I don’t think it points to Gene being forced out before his time at Purdue. I think it is 2 other issues:

1.) It’s NOT Purdue. The last thing ANY coach wants, when he is runnig a team, is to have the old icon of an ex-coach lurking over his shoulder. Doesn’t matter if he is friendly or not, it’s a distration to the team and a drag on your authority as the head man. That’s why this can work at St. John’s, or any other school besides Purdue.

2.) It’s part time. How many other coaches are part time? How many other places can you get a gig like that? October to April? No recruiting? Just breaking down film, game planning, and maybe a little instruction here and there? PERFECT !!!

It’s how Obie got Parkhill to OSU

No great loss IMO. :slight_smile:
Gene never looked very comfortable in front of the camera.

[quote="PSUdraw, post:3, topic:1397"]Well no more Gene on TV of BigTen Network.[/quote]

I don’t think the camera was very comfortable in front of Gene (if you know what I mean.) :wink:

[quote="PSUdraw, post:3, topic:1397"]Well no more Gene on TV of BigTen Network.[/quote]

I don’t think the camera was very comfortable in front of Gene (if you know what I mean.) :wink:

;D

True story…I spoke with Lav when he came to State College. We went over the issues of PSU hoops (this was well before the game, and before any other students were even in the stadium). I asked him if he would ever consider coaching at a place like PSU.

His response was simply: “Penn State could, and probably should be a perennial tourney contender”

I asked what he meant by that…his response (paraphrasing):

“Top notch facilities, top notch student body, a central location between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia…most places would kill for the talent pool PSU could draw from. A lot of people would come here if they could consistently win, similar to WVU. There’s a lot of positive things going for Penn State that other place simply do not have.”

I found that quite interesting, and it flies in the face of what many folks have said about the supposed disadvantages of PSU.

I then asked him if that meant he would coach here. He said “I have a lot of respect for Coach Dechellis, that is unfair of me to answer”.

I think it takes the right mindset, but Coach Lavin made some pretty good points there. If WVU can get peopleto come to that middle of nowhere school (believe me, I’ve been there and my girlfriend hails from Morgantown originally) then PSU has no excuses.

[quote=“BleedPSU, post:11, topic:1397”]True story…I spoke with Lav when he came to State College. We went over the issues of PSU hoops (this was well before the game, and before any other students were even in the stadium). I asked him if he would ever consider coaching at a place like PSU.

His response was simply: “Penn State could, and probably should be a perennial tourney contender”

“Top notch facilities, top notch student body, a central location between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia…most places would kill for the talent pool PSU could draw from. A lot of people would come here if they could consistently win, similar to WVU. There’s a lot of positive things going for Penn State that other place simply do not have.”

I found that quite interesting, and it flies in the face of what many folks have said about the supposed disadvantages of PSU.

I then asked him if that meant he would coach here. He said “I have a lot of respect for Coach Dechellis, that is unfair of me to answer”.

I think it takes the right mindset, but Coach Lavin made some pretty good points there. If WVU can get peopleto come to that middle of nowhere school (believe me, I’ve been there and my girlfriend hails from Morgantown originally) then PSU has no excuses.[/quote]

PLEASE file this post away and use it when the Apologists are doing their “running PSU down” thing!!
I just wished he used the words “sleeping giant!!” Oh well.

[quote="BleedPSU, post:11, topic:1397"]True story...I spoke with Lav when he came to State College. We went over the issues of PSU hoops (this was well before the game, and before any other students were even in the stadium). I asked him if he would ever consider coaching at a place like PSU.

I think it takes the right mindset, but Coach Lavin made some pretty good points there. If WVU can get peopleto come to that middle of nowhere school (believe me, I’ve been there and my girlfriend hails from Morgantown originally) then PSU has no excuses.[/quote]

PLEASE file this post away and use it when the Apologists are doing their “running PSU down” thing!!
I just wished he used the words “sleeping giant!!” Oh well.

It’s no secret that Lavin was actively campaigning for the job when DeChellis was hired so it’s no surprise that he would have nothing but good things to say about the program. Why would he say anything that might come back to haunt him should the job open up again in the future?

While everyone is busy putting Lavin up on some sort of pedestal, I say let’s wait for him to at least win a few games.

It’ll be interesting to see how Lavin makes out this year. I always thought that he was a below average game coach, but a good recruiter. He’ll certainly have the charisma and name to pull in players, and they have a whole bunch of scholarships to offer next year. It’s a very senior team this season and I don’t expect much out of them. I think it’ll take him until next year to make any noise on the court.

Part 1 5% game coach - Part 2 70% recruiting and Part 3 25% keeping the kids happy, at your school and eligible = a successful coach…It ain’t rocket science…There are hundreds of thousands good game coaches at all levels …few excellent recruiters at the high D1 level. The Millions go to the recruiters who are also good at Part 3!!