PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Katz gives Chambers some props

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/7264459/random-thoughts-first-full-week-season-college-basketball

Give Penn State coach Pat Chambers a lot of credit for rallying the Nittany Lions after an embarrassing performance against Kentucky. The Nittany Lions followed up that loss to beat South Florida at the Mohegan Sun.

Katz is a talentless hack with a great contacts list in his cellphone. Every time I see him on camera I am shocked that he has a microphone. At least Digger Phelps has a resume to justify his vapid performances.

Love the first line

Katz also has not written anything good about PSU within the last several years without making it a backhanded compliment. He was covering the CBI and NIT in 2009. When PSU advanced into the NIT final 4, he wrote about all of the other games and didn’t mention ours. I wonder if he gives similar treatment to other schools?

Whether you think he’s talented or not, people know who he is and any positive press from him can only help the program.

Why would he? Katz job is to promote the programs that actually care and pay attention.

I don’t mean to suggest that positive things from him are good for Penn State. He does have a big microphone, even if it is manifestly unclear why.

ESPN used to rely on him for gossip and rush him off stage, but he seems to have willed himself into the center of the picture.

I do like watching Chambers connect with the team.

Time for PSU fans to stop being paranoid about every reporter and referee. We must shed the DUKE and INDIANA of football label before we will get reporters to notice us on a consistent basis. It isn’t a plot, it’s just a fact we must earn respect.

PSU has always been easy to stereotype by the national media. The stanard BS line was that all of our former coaches were “great guys” and did great jobs at PSU. Our present coach also was/is always a “great guy” and a “great X and Os coach” BUT who has not really recruited well. But, of course, it was not his fault.
This “standard line” could be used every year with no research necessary! :-[

Would you say this to his mother at the Tavern? :smiley:

Seriously… what did he do to you that’s got you so worked up about him?

Katz is a talentless hack with a great contacts list in his cellphone. Every time I see him on camera I am shocked that he has a microphone. At least Digger Phelps has a resume to justify his vapid performances.

Ha! Good question. He really does set me off.

[quote="tjb, post:2, topic:2856"]Katz is a talentless hack with a great contacts list in his cellphone. Every time I see him on camera I am shocked that he has a microphone. At least Digger Phelps has a resume to justify his vapid performances.[/quote]

When I saw him at the Tavern I was going to tell him off, but Larry Brown was at the other table and I didn’t want Brown to think badly of PSU BBall fans.

[quote="tjb, post:2, topic:2856"]Katz is a talentless hack with a great contacts list in his cellphone. Every time I see him on camera I am shocked that he has a microphone. At least Digger Phelps has a resume to justify his vapid performances.[/quote]

When I saw him at the Tavern I was going to tell him off, but Larry Brown was at the other table and I didn’t want Brown to think badly of PSU BBall fans.

Was Rick Neuheisel your waiter ?
[quote="Cletus11, post:12, topic:2856"]When I saw him at the Tavern I was going to tell him off, but Larry Brown was at the other table and I didn't want Brown to think badly of PSU BBall fans.[/quote] Was Rick Neuheisel your waiter ?

As the unofficial Tavern authority on the board, I can tell you that Larry Brown could regularly be found at the Tavern when the Sixers trained here. It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if Katz was there at the same time.

Was Rick Neuheisel your waiter ?

Yeah, but he spent all his time taking care of Urban Meyer’s table. Meyer’s daughter was filling out an application for a waitress job, so she can earn some spending money while she attends the school.

LOL nicely done guys.

[quote="Cletus11, post:12, topic:2856"]When I saw him at the Tavern I was going to tell him off, but Larry Brown was at the other table and I didn't want Brown to think badly of PSU BBall fans.[/quote] Was Rick Neuheisel your waiter ?

As the unofficial Tavern authority on the board, I can tell you that Larry Brown could regularly be found at the Tavern when the Sixers trained here. It wouldn’t surprise me in the least if Katz was there at the same time.

Please stay away from Katz’s mother.

Or am I shutting the barn door after the horses are already gone?