PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Kansas vs VCU (was FSU or VCU)

Who ya’ got?

For the past 22 years (older than some of you on this board :)), I’ve been in an NCAA pool that picks every game as it happens and the point spread of that game. So if you pick FSU to win by 3 and they win by 7, you get 4 points (points are bad)…so the further you are away, the more points you get. If you are exact on the score then you get minus-3 points. And if you have the wrong team, then you are penalized further by the addition of a penalty (2 points for the “first” round, 4 for the 2nd, 8 for this round, 16 for the regional finals, 24 for the FF and Final). For instance, I had Duke to beat Zona by 7 last night. Zona wins by 16, so I got 31 points added to my score (23 points for being off on the score plus 8 for a “third” round loss).

It’s a great pool and the only one I care about. It makes all the others where you pick at the beginning and just sit there and watch your teams die on the vine (Duke, anyone?) and then you’re out of it, look kind of remedial. With this pool, you’re not really out of it until Final Four week, even after you lose your champion. In fact, I almost got into the money last year by riding Butler through the Final Four, even though I lost my champion a week before (oh yeah, if your pre-tourney champion wins, that’s minus-40 points…and any of your pre-tournament FF team that make it you get minus-5 and if all four FF teams make it that’s minus-20 doubled to minus-40). Sounds complicated, but it’s not. Makes every game worth watching and every minute of every game worth watching. My buddies and I are the only kooks in a bar yelling over a worthless three-pointer that goes in at the buzzer, just because we hit an exacta (minus-3) on one of our games. It’s quite silly.

ANYWAY (you still with me ;D)…I have to pick between FSU and VCU…who do you like…and why?

FSU

I think VCU is on a mission at this point. They tortured Purdue’s rather stout interior defense.

FSU hit 9 3’s in the ND game. They had 12 combined in their past 3 games.

Good point Tom.

VCU really beat down and beat up Purdue. FSU beat a Notre Dame team that still had its doubters following what their Big East brethren did early in the weekend.

I’m leaning VCU, but would like to hear why I should consider FSU…

FSU didn’t really have an impressive season, and probably wouldn’t have gotten in w/o its win over Duke.

You’d pick FSU thinking that VCU’s magic has worn off. Everyone hated VCU around tourney time (except the committee, obviously) and they may have played last week with a chip on their shoulders. Now they’ve had time to think about things, and they’ve become a bit of a media darling. Does that different mentality revert them back to the season that caused them to be a surprise tourney team to begin with?

[quote=“Tom, post:5, topic:2248”]FSU didn’t really have an impressive season, and probably wouldn’t have gotten in w/o its win over Duke.

You’d pick FSU thinking that VCU’s magic has worn off.[/quote]

That’s what I think is gonna happen.

FSU didn't really have an impressive season

Neither did VCU. :stuck_out_tongue:

PS - Purdue’s “stout” interior defense is like 93rd in block%. FSU is 3rd. Not a lot of easy buckets against them, you’ve got to hit outside shots.

Dave wrote an article about VCU. I think they are jinxed now.

PS - Purdue’s “stout” interior defense is like 93rd in block%. FSU is 3rd. Not a lot of easy buckets against them, you’ve got to hit outside shots.[/quote]

But a lot of VCU’s paint points weren’t blockable shots. They were playing a superb two-man game that disrupted the Purdue defense, giving a lot of open shots around the basket.

FSU looked like a team possessed when they beat ND. It looked like they had 6 players on the court at certain points they where always around the ball so much and they are very ‘lean’ and ‘tall’ as Jay Bilas would say. I never saw them play this year but obviously there record wasn’t that great so that must have been a great game they played. VCU sort of ran their first two opponents out of the gym, especially Purdue. They won’t be able to do that to FSU.

This is what I love about PennStateHoops.com.

It isn’t just a site full of a lot of people who just shoot shallow one-liners into a thread. There’s good thought
though sometimes twisted ;D, but good thought nonetheless on topics that aren’t even related to PSU hoops.

Thanks for all your input and keep it coming…I’m all ears today.

FSU didn't really have an impressive season

PS - Purdue’s “stout” interior defense is like 93rd in block%. FSU is 3rd. Not a lot of easy buckets against them, you’ve got to hit outside shots.

But a lot of VCU’s paint points weren’t blockable shots. They were playing a superb two-man game that disrupted the Purdue defense, giving a lot of open shots around the basket.

I’m not saying VCU can’t win - if they play like they did against Purdue for 4 more games they will be national champs. I’m just pointing out that FSU has a better interior defense than Purdue, so I don’t think I’d use the boilers performance as the blueprint for how this one will play out.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:7, topic:2248"][quote]FSU didn't really have an impressive season[/quote]

PS - Purdue’s “stout” interior defense is like 93rd in block%. FSU is 3rd. Not a lot of easy buckets against them, you’ve got to hit outside shots.[/quote]

I’m not saying VCU can’t win - if they play like they did against Purdue for 4 more games they will be national champs. I’m just pointing out that FSU has a better interior defense than Purdue, so I don’t think I’d use the boilers performance as the blueprint for how this one will play out.

My point was that VCU has shown (in the tourney at least) that they don’t need to rely on the 3 to get things done.

I think it’ll be a good game.

By the way, Illini… what’s to stop you from just playing the vegas lines? Nobody is going to be closer than them over 60 games without a good bit of luck. :wink:

[quote="Craftsy21, post:7, topic:2248"][quote]FSU didn't really have an impressive season[/quote]

My point was that VCU has shown (in the tourney at least) that they don’t need to rely on the 3 to get things done.

I think it’ll be a good game.

I think it will be a good one also. But just to clarify - they’ve hit 9, 12, and 8 three’s in their tournament games so far at over a 40% clip. They may not be living and dying with it, but it’s a huge part of their offense still as it has been all season. They better get about 10 more tonight.

It is a huge part of their offense, but hitting 8 and 9 3s is a mere “average” game for them. They were on fire vs. Georgetown.

There are people in this pool that do play it that way for the first couple of rounds. When it gets to the second week though, these 50/50 games make all the difference whether you are still in contention come the Final Four weekend. Everyone in the upper half of this pool will be on OSU/Kansas/UNC tonight. This FSU/VCU game is the one 50/50. If you get it correct, you remain in contention, if you don’t you drop down considerably. It gets tougher this weekend as the penalty for getting games incorrect is 16 points added to the difference in points.

As long as VCU can force the tempo and not allow FSU to set their halfcourt defense, I think they will be fine. More than hitting threes, I think that is the key.

VCU up 36-31 at the half.

FSU put up a whopping 43 shots to get their 31 points.

The last score before the half by Darius Theus (where he split two defenders and then pulled up for the floater in the lane) was as impressive a move as I’ve seen in this year’s tournament by anyone not named Derrick Williams.