Jvp

I am sure everyone’s seen this by now, but as the Lane Kiffins and Pete Carrolls follow the Jackie Sherrills and Barry Switzers of the world, we just have the greatest football coach of all time – for 44 years.

JVP

I’m putting the over/under on seasons before he is back on the college sidelines at 3. Now he’s in a league where all of the teams pay their players and I don’t think he’ll have as easy a time as he did at USC.

What Kiffen has done is really set back the NCAA and given a black eye to college sports.

The money grab and the exploitation of student athletes is just pathetic and something REALLY needs to be done about it… but there’s too many crooks getting rich off the student’s accomplishments to see any change in the future.

It’s sad, it really is !!!

Personally, I don’t have nearly the amount of angst that others do about Kiffin (and other coaches for that matter). We live in a free market, and Kiffin is free to look for another job unless something in his current work agreement precludes him from doing so (which in this case is a financial penalty). If I worked for a big accounting firm and got offered my dream job for a whole bunch more $ right before tax season, would I turn it down because I felt bad about what I was doing to my company? Probably not (if the $ was enough that it made up for the bad feelings that I’d have about burning bridges). Nothing was stopping Tennessee from putting a more severe financial penalty in place should Kiffin had chosen to leave early (well, other than the fact that they would have had a tougher time signing him). I certainly feel bad for the kids, but at the end of the day Kiffin is just playing by the rules of the current system.

You would not have made promises to your clients (the players) luring them to your firm. Those clients would be free to follow you to another firm. There’s a reason you feel bad for the kids. Just because something is legal under the auspices of a free market does not make that action moral. Kiffin is under no legal compulsion to remain at Tennesee, but that doesn’t mean his reputation shouldn’t suffer. I had little respect for him anyway, absolutely none now.

From Sally Jenkin’s piece on Kiffin and the BCS:

What once attracted people to college football was its institutions, whether you loved them or hated them: Notre Dame, Joe Paterno, Ohio State.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/13/AR2010011304304.html

I agree with tjb. PSU proud.

Before we pat ourselves on our collective backs too much, it is instructive to remember that following the 2004 (I think) season, there was a vibrant and palpable movement afoot among the alums and the administration to boot Joe out. In fact, I believe there was a meeting at Joe’s house at which time Spanier and Curley reportedly were ready to fire Joe. In probably his greatest sales job ever, Joe was able to convince those grim reapers that the program was definitely on the rise and that nothing was to be gained from replacing him, except for chaos.

DWill and JKing led an impressive group of new recruits onto the field in 2005; MRob provided the leadership; the D played admirably; we went 11-1 and won a BCS bowl and we’ve gone something like 50-13 the past five years. Only someone with the prestige of JoePa could have withstood the Barbarians at the Gate - even at Penn State which has been the paragon of coaching stability.

I do not like what Kiffin did…leaving after one year. But, what are these guys supposed to do…never leave. They tell the recruits they will be there and situations come up that is better for them and their family. If a coach is never to break a recruiting promise then coaches would never leave. We don’t know what Kiffin told recruits…all we know is what the media is telling us.

Coaches coach kids to take advantage of opportunities both on the field and off. Isn’t that what Kiffin did?

Why is no one blaming the UT administration here? They hired Kiffin knowing what kind of sleazeball he was. Heck, even Al Davis had had enough, and that’s saying something.

Amen. You dance with the girl you brought to the dance.

Let this be a lesson to the PSU Administration when Paterno steps down. When you hire outside of the schools inner-circle, odd things will happen from time to time. When you hire a coach that has a connection with the school, these situations can be avoided. Of course, ultimately, I pity the fool that takes over for Paterno, no matter if he has PSU ties or not. Between the alumni and adminstration the coach will have to succeed early or I’m afraid patience will not be used.

Here’s another take on Kiffin:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/with-this-kind-of-spin-kiffin-will-be-just-fine

…not much different than what we’ve been hearing and reading…just further confirmation of what USC is getting!

[quote=“PSUWIN, post:13, topic:647”]Here’s another take on Kiffin:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/with-this-kind-of-spin-kiffin-will-be-just-fine

…not much different than what we’ve been hearing and reading…just further confirmation of what USC is getting![/quote]

I don’t understand why everyone is so mad at Kiffin. If you had the choice between Knoxville with its low talent base or USC, its a no-brainer. I find it hypocritical that journalists are getting high and mighty on the Kiffin issue when they ignore larger problems : a) the BCS, b) the low graduation rates, andc) the lack of compensation for college athletes

Lately I’m very confused by the average sports fan.

This story, and many other ones running right now, just means nothing to me. I have no connection to Tennessee or USC and especially no connection to Lane Kiffin. Sounds to me like he made a great career move for himself, similarly to anybody in any sort of business.

Nobody demands apologies from kids who leave school early, to the coaches they leave hanging behind. It’s just considered doing what’s best for themselves at that point, right? So how is this any different? Nobody is taking the Tennessee kid’s scholarships away because of this, so if you’re one of these people refusing to admit college sports is just a business now, I don’t see the complaint there. And if you are willing to admit it’s a business, there should REALLY be no complaints outside of the violations he’s been tied to.

Frankly - I think the guy is going to get nailed for a major violation of his own to go along with the impending sanctions against USC that are surely coming. If anything, he’s attempting to commit career suicide with this move. If you’ve really got a problem with the guy, you should be happy right now with what he’s attempting to do.

I happen to think this is the end of USC’s run for awhile, and I consider that a good thing. They want to roll the dice, so be it.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:15, topic:647”]Lately I’m very confused by the average sports fan.

This story, and many other ones running right now, just means nothing to me. I have no connection to Tennessee or USC and especially no connection to Lane Kiffin. Sounds to me like he made a great career move for himself, similarly to anybody in any sort of business.

Nobody demands apologies from kids who leave school early, to the coaches they leave hanging behind. It’s just considered doing what’s best for themselves at that point, right? So how is this any different? Nobody is taking the Tennessee kid’s scholarships away because of this, so if you’re one of these people refusing to admit college sports is just a business now, I don’t see the complaint there. And if you are willing to admit it’s a business, there should REALLY be no complaints outside of the violations he’s been tied to.

Frankly - I think the guy is going to get nailed for a major violation of his own to go along with the impending sanctions against USC that are surely coming. If anything, he’s attempting to commit career suicide with this move. If you’ve really got a problem with the guy, you should be happy right now with what he’s attempting to do.

I happen to think this is the end of USC’s run for awhile, and I consider that a good thing. They want to roll the dice, so be it. [/quote]

A kid leaving school early is far more similar to an assistant leaving to take a head coaching job. It is a substantial step up (from no pay to a millionaire in most cases). If Tom Bradley left to take the Tenn job I would be disappointed, but respect the decision. But if you leave one BCS school (where it is absolutely possible to win Natl Championship) for another that’s a lateral move. Is USC a better job right now? Yes. Will it be in five years? Maybe.

[quote="Craftsy21, post:15, topic:647"]Lately I'm very confused by the average sports fan.

I happen to think this is the end of USC’s run for awhile, and I consider that a good thing. They want to roll the dice, so be it.[/quote]

A kid leaving school early is far more similar to an assistant leaving to take a head coaching job. It is a substantial step up (from no pay to a millionaire in most cases). If Tom Bradley left to take the Tenn job I would be disappointed, but respect the decision. But if you leave one BCS school (where it is absolutely possible to win Natl Championship) for another that’s a lateral move. Is USC a better job right now? Yes. Will it be in five years? Maybe.

USC is a much better job. Right now, UT is probably the fourth best job in the SEC. UF/Bama/LSU are clearly much better. I wouldn’t want to be competing against Saban and UF for the next decade. And LSU consistently draws top players. Also, TN doesn’t have a lot of in-state talent, which makes recruiting much more difficult. TN is going to have a hard time reaching the upper echelon of the SEC, its more likely going to settle with Georgia and Auburn in the second tier. USC dominates CA in recruiting, as well as nationally. And the competition level in the Pac-10 is much worse - USC dominated the conference before this year.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:15, topic:647”]Lately I’m very confused by the average sports fan.

I happen to think this is the end of USC’s run for awhile, and I consider that a good thing. They want to roll the dice, so be it. [/quote]

For the record, Lane Kiffin dominated today on signing day. Big, big day for USC.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4883210&categoryid=4839164

For the record, Lane Kiffin dominated today on signing day. Big, big day for USC.

We’ll see how many finish playing there. I have a hunch the sanctions are just about to start rolling in… :smiley:

We’ll see how many finish playing there. I have a hunch the sanctions are just about to start rolling in… :D[/quote]

We’ll see. I don’t see why Kiffin is worse than any of the other major college football coaches.