Justice Department Examines NCAA Scholarship Rules

Justice Department Examines NCAA Scholarship Rules
The Chronicle of higher Education
May 6, 2010
By Libby Sander

A bit late, but i just stumbled across this…a bit interesting to say the least. I’ve always had a problem of players being tossed aside because they didn’t pan out on the floor. It’s one thing if they’re not going to class, failing, constantly breaking rules, etc. but I’ve always felt that a player shouldn’t pay for the coach’s recruiting mistakes.

[quote=“manatree, post:1, topic:1183”]Justice Department Examines NCAA Scholarship Rules
The Chronicle of higher Education
May 6, 2010
By Libby Sander

A bit late, but i just stumbled across this…a bit interesting to say the least. I’ve always had a problem of players being tossed aside because they didn’t pan out on the floor. It’s one thing if they’re not going to class, failing, constantly breaking rules, etc. but I’ve always felt that a player shouldn’t pay for the coach’s recruiting mistakes.[/quote]

I agree.

Revoked scholarships surprise college athletes
May 24th, 2010
By ALAN SCHER ZAGIER (AP)

I’ve read that Saban has been the king of this down at Alabama. Running off 10+ players a year lately.
Edit to add link: http://oversigning.com/testing/index.php/about-2/

“Coaches don’t go out of their way to clarify (scholarship length). They make it as vague as they possibly can.”

Actually by rule, they have to be vague. It’s an NCAA violation if you promise a kid a scholarship for more than one year. You can blame the coaches for running kids off but you really can’t blame them for following the NCAA rules on what they are allowed to say.

[quote=“UncleLar, post:5, topic:1183”]“Coaches don’t go out of their way to clarify (scholarship length). They make it as vague as they possibly can.”

Actually by rule, they have to be vague. It’s an NCAA violation if you promise a kid a scholarship for more than one year. You can blame the coaches for running kids off but you really can’t blame them for following the NCAA rules on what they are allowed to say.[/quote]

Isn’t the scholarship offer an annual event, in the fact that when you accept the offer of a scholarship as a freshman, there is no guarantee that you’ll get it again the next year (sure, there’s the EXPECTATION) but the contract that is signed is only for that class year and needs renewed each year? I would think that that the coeach couldn’t explicity promise a scholarhsihp renewal before it happens, although there is the expectation when you’re recruited.

[quote=“manatree, post:3, topic:1183”]Revoked scholarships surprise college athletes
May 24th, 2010
By ALAN SCHER ZAGIER (AP)[/quote]

Interesting article. Check out the quote below. Does anybody believe the statement in bold?

[quote=“Revoked scholarships surprise college athletes”]At Missouri, the school announced on April 12 that Stone and sophomore guard Miguel Paul were transferring to seek more playing time. Two days later, the Tigers signed a pair of the country’s top-rated junior college transfers, rugged 6-foot-8 forward Ricardo Ratliffe and guard Matt Pressey, whose younger brother Phil will also join Missouri as a freshman in the fall.

Missouri coach Mike Anderson called the timing of the two announcements coincidental. Both Stone and Paul had previously expressed interest in seeking a fresh start, he said, calling their decisions to leave “mutual.”[/quote]

[quote="UncleLar, post:5, topic:1183"][i]"Coaches don't go out of their way to clarify (scholarship length). They make it as vague as they possibly can."[/i]

Actually by rule, they have to be vague. It’s an NCAA violation if you promise a kid a scholarship for more than one year. You can blame the coaches for running kids off but you really can’t blame them for following the NCAA rules on what they are allowed to say.[/quote]

Isn’t the scholarship offer an annual event, in the fact that when you accept the offer of a scholarship as a freshman, there is no guarantee that you’ll get it again the next year (sure, there’s the EXPECTATION) but the contract that is signed is only for that class year and needs renewed each year? I would think that that the coeach couldn’t explicity promise a scholarhsihp renewal before it happens, although there is the expectation when you’re recruited.

Yes it must be renewed every year.

[quote="manatree, post:3, topic:1183"][url=http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5irlInBfwMMXiaXhtSkY9320515XAD9FT45G00]Revoked scholarships surprise college athletes[/url] May 24th, 2010 By ALAN SCHER ZAGIER (AP)[/quote]

Interesting article. Check out the quote below. Does anybody believe the statement in bold?

[quote=“Revoked scholarships surprise college athletes”]At Missouri, the school announced on April 12 that Stone and sophomore guard Miguel Paul were transferring to seek more playing time. Two days later, the Tigers signed a pair of the country’s top-rated junior college transfers, rugged 6-foot-8 forward Ricardo Ratliffe and guard Matt Pressey, whose younger brother Phil will also join Missouri as a freshman in the fall.

Missouri coach Mike Anderson called the timing of the two announcements coincidental. Both Stone and Paul had previously expressed interest in seeking a fresh start, he said, calling their decisions to leave "mutual."[/quote]

Interesting choice of a word “mutual.” It seems this board is back to the chicken and egg. Management says “We don’t want you back and your ship is NOT renewed” then the kid says well “I don’t want to come back anyway”…
The NCAA needs to change policy and protect the student/athlete more strongly! Maybe after they clear up the Reggie Bush case…

There are a lot of problems with some coaches running off players, but I have no sympathy for a recruit that is surprised that his scholarship is a year-by-year thing.

If a kid’s scholarship is revoked, does he have to sit out a year if he transfers?

Yes.

[quote="mjg, post:11, topic:1183"]If a kid's scholarship is revoked, does he have to sit out a year if he transfers?[/quote]

Yes.

Well that sounds really fair. ???

[quote="mjg, post:11, topic:1183"]If a kid's scholarship is revoked, does he have to sit out a year if he transfers?[/quote]

Yes.

You can petition the NCAA to waive the sit out year and there’s at least a chance that it will be granted but technically you’re supposed to miss a year.

Yes.

You can petition the NCAA to waive the sit out year and there’s at least a chance that it will be granted but technically you’re supposed to miss a year.

When Calipari took over at Kentucky, six kids were left swinging in the wind. One played immediately by getting an NCAA waiver (he probably got the waiver because he had already sat out one year when he transfered TO Kentucky), one was a recruit who got a release from his letter of intent so the transfer rule didn’t exactly apply, two went to schools where they wouldn’t have to sit out (one junior college, one NAIA school), and two sat out a year.

Yes.

That’s all fine and dandy. But I thought the point of the rule was to prevent kids from jumping around. Not to prevent them from jumping from a school that no longer wants them to a school that does. Seems like the kid is getting punished twice – once for losing his scholarship and a second time for having to sit out a year.