PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Justice Deparment investigates BCS

There are 2 really big stories related to the BCS right now. One is involved with anti-trust, for locking out mid-majors from the BCS. The other has to do with the BCS Bowls and their “non-profit” status…

Feds to NCAA: Why no playoffs?

The Justice Department wants to know why the NCAA doesn't have a college football playoff system and says there are "serious questions" about whether the current format to determine a national champion complies with antitrust laws.

Critics who have urged the department to investigate the Bowl Championship Series contend it unfairly gives some schools preferential access to the title championship game and top-tier end-of-season bowls.

PAC targets Orange Bowl cruise to IRS

political action committee out to change college football's postseason system has filed a complaint with the IRS about a cruise hosted by Orange Bowl organizers for athletic directors and conference commissioners, along with their spouses.

The Playoff PAC reported the “Orange Bowl Summer Splash” to the IRS, complaining that the “all-inclusive, three-night, four-day complimentary getaway” to the Bahamas was a junket and could be impermissible under the bowl’s tax-exempt status as a charity.

I thought this morning that the timing was uncanny.

Think about this… The PAC-12 just signed a $3Billion TV deal at the same time the NFL is in a lockout. The owners and players are in a dispute over NFL revenue, while at the same time the PAC-12 is getting a HUGE revenue boost while not paying it’s players at all (or a miniscule amount). Non-profit?

You would think The Justice Department would have something better to do!! ???
How about ending monetary lobbying!!

[quote=“tundra, post:2, topic:2363”]You would think The Justice Department would have something better to do!! ???
How about ending monetary lobbying!! [/quote]

You mean legalized vote purchasing?

The BCS is a financially underperforming system that costs mostly public colleges and universities hundreds of millions of dollars in potential revenue while directing tens of millions in student fees and taxpayer funds to third-party bowl games. The money alone makes it a concern for any taxpayer

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-wetzel_justice_letter_could_signal_big_trouble_bcs_050411

[quote="tundra, post:2, topic:2363"]You would think The Justice Department would have something better to do!! ??? [b]How about ending monetary lobbying!! [/b][/quote]

Yes…

[quote="tundra, post:2, topic:2363"]You would think The Justice Department would have something better to do!! ??? [b]How about ending monetary lobbying!! [/b][/quote]

Yes…

Funny how campaign contributions aren’t seen that way by a lot of people.

At my company, we must complete an online class annually on ethics. It shows purchasing agents accepting “bribes” to award business. Seems EXACTLY like what goes on right in front of our faces in our governments.

David Jones chimes in on the BCS debacle.

BCS not a legit realm for antitrust feds? Why not?

According to federal tax filings cited in last year's Death To The BCS by Yahoo! Sports' Dan Wetzel, Josh Peter and Jeff Passan, [b]Sugar Bowl CEO Paul Hoolahan was given $607,500 in 2007[/b], this for overseeing the staging of one game. Athletics directors at major universities manage entire departments all year and run seven or eight football games and don't make that much.

John Junker made $457,356 that year from being CEO of the Fiesta Bowl. He has since made over half a million annually.

Last month, Junker was fired after a Fiesta Bowl internal investigation spurred by reporters at The Arizona Republic newspaper in Phoenix and a group of young Utah-based lawyers lobbying for a college football tournament who called themselves Playoff PAC. It was found that Junker was reimbursed $4.85 million for expenses over the past 10 years, of which more than half could not be verified as legitimate. Fiesta Bowl funds totaling $33,189 were spent on his 50th birthday party.

Some nonprofit organization. Might be an issue for the IRS.

I am a HUGE college football fan. This kills me. As much as I love it, I know it’s completely slimy and HAS TO BE changed. If nothing else, it’s just morally wrong.

To be honest I didn’t even know the BCS was non-profit until I heard it on TV :o