PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Just how bad is PENN STATE BB that people accept this kind of performance

This was a typically pathetic effort that anyone with a brain has come to expect from a DeChellis team. Just what a miracle the NIT championship was is so much more apparent now. The fact that there are fans that are not enraged by what PENN STATE has come to symbolize in the college BB world shows just how low PSU fans have sunk to.

Bright spots; there were no bright spots. Anyone who thinks Oliver, Frazier or for that matter everyone except Battle, are any more than deep bench players for a reasonably good college team is just not paying attention. Frazier has potential but he in no way is ready. Oliver tried but he was rarely in good defensive position (of course who on the team is ever in good defensive position?) and never was in the flow of the offense. Not that it even makes sense to use “offensive flow” when talking about a Penn State BB team. It is so sad to see Battle in this setting, he deserves so much more. Like for example a COACH.

If anyone, student or otherwise, in any way supports this team you are part of the problem. A strong message has to get to Graham that makes it clear this situation with the BB team is unacceptable to anyone who has any semblance of self respect. And if Curley won’t do something about it he has to go as well.

If anyone, student or otherwise, in any way supports this team you are part of the problem.

So by signing up for a PSU hoops board and watching the games you aren’t supporting the team? By your logic, aren’t you a part of the problem for just making this post? ???

[quote=“rebcalale, post:1, topic:1589”]This was a typically pathetic effort that anyone with a brain has come to expect from a DeChellis team. Just what a miracle the NIT championship was is so much more apparent now. The fact that there are fans that are not enraged by what PENN STATE has come to symbolize in the college BB world shows just how low PSU fans have sunk to.

Bright spots; there were no bright spots. Anyone who thinks Oliver, Frazier or for that matter everyone except Battle, are any more than deep bench players for a reasonably good college team is just not paying attention. Frazier has potential but he in no way is ready. Oliver tried but he was rarely in good defensive position (of course who on the team is ever in good defensive position?) and never was in the flow of the offense. Not that it even makes sense to use “offensive flow” when talking about a Penn State BB team. It is so sad to see Battle in this setting, he deserves so much more. Like for example a COACH.

If anyone, student or otherwise, in any way supports this team you are part of the problem. A strong message has to get to Graham that makes it clear this situation with the BB team is unacceptable to anyone who has any semblance of self respect. And if Curley won’t do something about it he has to go as well.[/quote]Board Police Craftsy in 3,2,1…

I support the TEAM, without any apologies to you, because I believe the student-athletes represent Penn State well and I want them rewarded for their hard work. A needed coaching change may be coming in March, but neither you nor I, nor my support nor your lack of it, will have anything to do with the decision Curley/Spanier makes. The only meaningful way you can express you displeasure is (a) not attend the games, and (b) write a thoughtful letter to Curley with your real name and contact information. Bluster on message boards counts for exactly nothing.

[quote="rebcalale, post:1, topic:1589"]If anyone, student or otherwise, in any way supports this team you are part of the problem.[/quote]

I support the TEAM, without any apologies to you, because I believe the student-athletes represent Penn State well and I want them rewarded for their hard work. A needed coaching change may be coming in March, but neither you nor I, nor my support nor your lack of it, will have anything to do with the decision Curley/Spanier makes. The only meaningful way you can express you displeasure is (a) not attend the games, and (b) write a thoughtful letter to Curley with your real name and contact information. Bluster on message boards counts for exactly nothing.

+1

[quote="rebcalale, post:1, topic:1589"]If anyone, student or otherwise, in any way supports this team you are part of the problem.[/quote]

Well said Evan Ceg, well said!

I wonder if psychiatrists have lost business since the advent of sports message boards? :smiley:

Good post Evan. I strongly recommend the Curley/Spanier letters/E-Mails. I have sent several down through the years. You should take your time and try to compose a thoughtful and sincere letter…NOT an angry rant.

Good post Evan. I strongly recommend the Curley/Spanier letters/E-Mails. I have sent several down through the years. You should take your time and try to compose a thoughtful and sincere letter…NOT an angry rant.

Do they ever respond back or is it like writing a letter to Sigmund Freud?

You probably won’t get anything back from Spanier since he’ll defer the sports stuff to Curley (unless you’re giving enough $ to have his ear). However Curley certainly might respond back to a well though out, prefessional e-mail. I can almost guarantee that he’ll read it.

Honestly do you not think they’ve already got thousands of these already? Does it really matter? What can be said that Tim doesn’t already know?

When it comes to football, absolutely. When it comes to basketball, I’d be surprised if he gets over a hundred a year. And that goes back to part of the problem, a very small segment of the fanbase cares enough about hoops.

While I strongly disagree with your assessments of many of the players (especially Frazier and Brooks), lets talk about this point for a minute.

I always find it interesting when psu fans make this kind of argument. Now see, if you were a Philly Eagles fan, and the Eagles were constantly sucking all the time, I’d agree with you. Know why? Because Eagles fans, no matter how anyone personally feels about them, are loyal to a fault. That organization knows it could go 0-16 every year and still sell out every game. So if that were happening, then yes, refusing to support the team - at least, financially - might be the only way to change things.

But when it comes to our basketball program, I’m of the opinion that it works the other way. If we had a solid showing at the BJC for most or all of our games for a few years, maybe we’d see the improvements we’re all looking for. I doubt very much that any recruit is going to be impressed by a relatively tiny crowd that generates little noise. If I were a recruit, I think I might prefer to go to a school where I know I’ll have thousands of roaring students getting my back game in and game out. Poor attendance hurts recruiting, and poor recruiting hurts the overall quality of the team. That goes for coaches, too. Do you really feel that a top quality coach is going to want to come to a school that receives so little support from students and local alums? I doubt it. Again, that support is crucial, and coaches know this. Getting more people out to our games could only help at this point. Without that support, it’s gonna be harder, though certainly not impossible, to get the personnel we need.

Now if students/alums did start coming out in greater numbers and on a more consistent basis, and the program STILL couldn’t get things straightened out after a period of time, then we’re having a different conversation…

Perhaps the problem with PSU BB is fans who don’t know enough about basketball to evaluate the program and do so via blustery message board posts anyway.

Defense was not our problem last night. They held a team averaging 80+ points/game to low 60’s, and that was with our second best player in foul trouble for the entire game and our best player struggling through cramps for the entire 2nd half.

The offense was putrid because of bad shooting, but the offensive flow wasn’t even that terrible last night. Shot selection was decent for most of the game, but nothing would fall.

I left early disappointed and disgusted by the inability to hit some shots, but didn’t leave thinking this team can’t win another game this season or that the head coach should be summarily executed at half court before the next game.

Bright spots; there were no bright spots. Oliver tried but he was rarely in good defensive position (of course who on the team is ever in good defensive position?) and never was in the flow of the offense.

Perhaps the problem with PSU BB is fans who don’t know enough about basketball to evaluate the program and do so via blustery message board posts anyway.

Defense was not our problem last night. They held a team averaging 80+ points/game to low 60’s, and that was with our second best player in foul trouble for the entire game and our best player struggling through cramps for the entire 2nd half.

The offense was putrid because of bad shooting, but the offensive flow wasn’t even that terrible last night. Shot selection was decent for most of the game, but nothing would fall.

I left early disappointed and disgusted by the inability to hit some shots, but didn’t leave thinking this team can’t win another game this season or that the head coach should be summarily executed at half court before the next game.

The average Penn State fan has had very little reason over the years to show up at a Penn State basketball game. The team is consistently bad and there is little to zero buzz around this program for years. To blame the fans for Penn State’s lack of success is a joke. You want a crowd support for games??? WIN. Period. WIN. PSU is one of the worst big conference basketball programs in the country. Can this be turned around? Of course. Hire the right coach. A true sales guy who commands respect and provides this program with instant credibility. The Jordan Center will be filled and you will have your support. No one believes in ED Dechellis besides a handful of die hard fans. Do you know why they haven’t hired this person yet? $$$$$$$$$. Until Penn State opens up the check book, they will continue to fail in one of the toughest conference in the country.

[quote="rebcalale, post:1, topic:1589"]Bright spots; there were no bright spots. Oliver tried but he was rarely in good defensive position (of course who on the team is ever in good defensive position?) and never was in the flow of the offense.[/quote]

The average Penn State fan has had very little reason over the years to show up at a Penn State basketball game. The team is consistently bad and there is little to zero buzz around this program for years. To blame the fans for Penn State’s lack of success is a joke. You want a crowd support for games??? WIN. Period. WIN. PSU is one of the worst big conference basketball programs in the country. Can this be turned around? Of course. Hire the right coach. A true sales guy who commands respect and provides this program with instant credibility. The Jordan Center will be filled and you will have your support. No one believes in ED Dechellis besides a handful of die hard fans. Do you know why they haven’t hired this person yet? $$$$$$$$$. Until Penn State opens up the check book, they will continue to fail in one of the toughest conference in the country.

I’m curious - if it’s just as easy as throwing money at it, why are there so many other teams in major conferences that can’t get out of the cellar? Seems like a simple enough answer, and hell - if the team instantly becomes successful as you claim, they probably recoup most of their losses in ticket sales and what not. Win/Win for everybody, right?

Except how many teams become instantly successful by just throwing money at a head coach in D-1 basketball? Who is an example of a program that you think we could model ourselves after?

Think you’re seriously oversimplifying the process, and completely underestimating what it takes to become a successful basketball program on a consistent basis.

This loss was unacceptable and I hope the loss opened the eyes of the AD. More basketball knowledge is needed to make our program better. I will still support the team (I’ve been a Clipper fan for years) and I hope a turn around in the program will happen.

[quote="rebcalale, post:1, topic:1589"]Bright spots; there were no bright spots. Oliver tried but he was rarely in good defensive position (of course who on the team is ever in good defensive position?) and never was in the flow of the offense.[/quote]

Well said Hoops. This next hire will tell us all we need to know about Tim Curley and Penn State Basketball.

This.

The age old argument on this board is whether or not a “name” coach could dramatically alter the quality of recruiting due to geographical and other issues. I always have waffled around the middle in this conversation. I think there is a very interesting thing to watch at PSU that may shed some light on the subject. What I am referring to is Cael Sanderson and the wrestling team. At this early juncture, it appears that spending the money for a big name guy is paying off in spades for the university. It is certainly something to keep a close eye on…