PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Just back from the game - thoughts

1. In the three games I’ve watched (two in person), Tim Frazier seems to be able to penetrate any defense (man-to-man or zone) at will.

2. We’re a different team with both Sasa and Billy playing.

3. Jon Graham continues to get better, which is good, because he has a Big Ten body. 3 blocks in 13 minutes plus some nice work around the basket including 3 offensive rebounds.

4. We dominated every statistic except two: fouls and FTA. This will probably happen a lot with Pat’s tenacious defense.

5. Quality win against a good opponent. LIU will probably win their league again this year.

6. Nice crowd for a dreary Wednesday night. Considering it was against a non-big name opponent, pretty good turnout. There is more enthusiasm in the building this year.

7. I thought Pat was going to mug Glover after he dove for that ball - just shows the kind of effort he wants and rewards.

8. Coming from behind with 7 minutes left and then pulling away is huge for a young team.

9. Next thing to work on is turning an 8 pt lead to 15 and then 20. It will come.

10. 10 man rotation again. Because Sasa and Trey got into foul trouble, Tim, Cam and Billy played ~35 minutes each. Last year, Talor would have played 40 and Jeff 38.

11. 10 boards for Billy. Huge.

12. Another solid game for Cam.

13. I was wondering if Pat was going to bench a player once he got two fouls in the 1st half. Yep.

[quote=“Great Santini, post:1, topic:2841”]1. In the three games I’ve watched (two in person), Tim Frazier seems to be able to penetrate any defense (man-to-man or zone) at will.

1. We’re a different team with both Sasa and Billy playing.

2. Jon Graham continues to get better, which is good, because he has a Big Ten body. 3 blocks in 13 minutes plus some nice work around the basket including 3 offensive rebounds.

3. We dominated every statistic except two: fouls and FTA. This will probably happen a lot with Pat’s tenacious defense.

4. Quality win against a good opponent. LIU will probably win their league again this year.

5. Nice crowd for a dreary Wednesday night. Considering it was against a non-big name opponent, pretty good turnout. There is more enthusiasm in the building this year.

6. I thought Pat was going to mug Glover after he dove for that ball - just shows the kind of effort he wants and rewards.

7. Coming from behind with 7 minutes left and then pulling away is huge for a young team.

8. Next thing to work on is turning an 8 pt lead to 15 and then 20. It will come.

9. 10 man rotation again. Because Sasa and Trey got into foul trouble, Tim, Cam and Billy played ~35 minutes each. Last year, Talor would have played 40 and Jeff 38.

10. 10 boards for Billy. Huge.

11. Another solid game for Cam.

12. I was wondering if Pat was going to bench a player once he got two fouls in the 1st half. Yep.[/quote]

When Penn State develops a reputation for playing tenacious defense, they will get more slack from the refs. The players are still learning how to be aggressive without fouling as well. It’s not easy.

But put him back in, unfortunately, to get his third foul, so we may not see that happen again soon.

[quote=“Great Santini, post:1, topic:2841”]1. In the three games I’ve watched (two in person), Tim Frazier seems to be able to penetrate any defense (man-to-man or zone) at will.

2. Jon Graham continues to get better, which is good, because he has a Big Ten body. 3 blocks in 13 minutes plus some nice work around the basket including 3 offensive rebounds.

3. We dominated every statistic except two: fouls and FTA. This will probably happen a lot with Pat’s tenacious defense.

4. Quality win against a good opponent. LIU will probably win their league again this year.

6. Nice crowd for a dreary Wednesday night. Considering it was against a non-big name opponent, pretty good turnout. There is more enthusiasm in the building this year.

1. I thought Pat was going to mug Glover after he dove for that ball - just shows the kind of effort he wants and rewards.

2. Coming from behind with 7 minutes left and then pulling away is huge for a young team.

3. Next thing to work on is turning an 8 pt lead to 15 and then 20. It will come.

4. 10 man rotation again. Because Sasa and Trey got into foul trouble, Tim, Cam and Billy played ~35 minutes each. Last year, Talor would have played 40 and Jeff 38.

5. 10 boards for Billy. Huge.

6. Another solid game for Cam.

7. I was wondering if Pat was going to bench a player once he got two fouls in the 1st half. Yep.[/quote] I was at the game also and thought that was a pretty lousy crowd. Very very disappointed in the student turnout so far this season. Pat and this program need them to turn this thing around but man they have been mia for whatever reason .

[quote="Great Santini, post:1, topic:2841"][b]6. Nice crowd for a dreary Wednesday night. Considering it was against a non-big name opponent, pretty good turnout. There is more enthusiasm in the building this year.[/b][/quote] I was at the game also and thought that was a pretty lousy crowd. Very very disappointed in the student turnout so far this season. Pat and this program need them to turn this thing around but man they have been mia for whatever reason .

I agree about the students. Those who were there were great - very loud and very animated. They just need a couple thousand more to show up and not just sit on their butts and look at their iPhones and not the game.

But, all in all, considering it was a mid-week game against a non-marquee opponent, and the funk the PSU faithful are in right now wrt Sandusky et al, I thought the rest of the crowd wasn’t bad.

Pat does have a huge job building support for the program - he’s off to a good start, but he’s got a long way to go.

Thanks for the summary GS. I missed the game. Looking forward to Saturday. Gonna dig out my underwear from 2000.

• Penn State’s Tim Frazier had his second straight 20-point, 10-assist game as the Nittany Lions defeated Long Island 77-68. Frazier had a career-high 26 points, and is averaging 20.7 points and 8.7 assists per game through three games.

That’s a huge scoring improvement from 6.3 ppg in 2010-11. There have only been six 20-point, 10-assist games in the nation this season, and Frazier has two of them. He’s the first major conference player to have two such games in November in at least the past 15 seasons.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/39049/numbers-to-know-49ers-guerrero-on-map

[quote=“Tom, post:7, topic:2841”]• Penn State’s Tim Frazier had his second straight 20-point, 10-assist game as the Nittany Lions defeated Long Island 77-68. Frazier had a career-high 26 points, and is averaging 20.7 points and 8.7 assists per game through three games.

That’s a huge scoring improvement from 6.3 ppg in 2010-11. There have only been six 20-point, 10-assist games in the nation this season, and Frazier has two of them. He’s the first major conference player to have two such games in November in at least the past 15 seasons.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/39049/numbers-to-know-49ers-guerrero-on-map[/quote]

He’s also the scoring leader for the Big Ten conference at this point.

[quote="Great Santini, post:1, topic:2841"][b]6. Nice crowd for a dreary Wednesday night. Considering it was against a non-big name opponent, pretty good turnout. There is more enthusiasm in the building this year.[/b][/quote] I was at the game also and thought that was a pretty lousy crowd. Very very disappointed in the student turnout so far this season. Pat and this program need them to turn this thing around but man they have been mia for whatever reason .

I agree about the students. Those who were there were great - very loud and very animated. They just need a couple thousand more to show up and not just sit on their butts and look at their iPhones and not the game.

But, all in all, considering it was a mid-week game against a non-marquee opponent, and the funk the PSU faithful are in right now wrt Sandusky et al, I thought the rest of the crowd wasn’t bad.

Pat does have a huge job building support for the program - he’s off to a good start, but he’s got a long way to go.

I saw at least 10 people with newspapers out reading when i took a quick trip up to get a drink . I could only laugh :’(

I saw at least 10 people with newspapers out reading when i took a quick trip up to get a drink . I could only laugh :’(

Most have been adults - the kids were all on their phones. :wink:

If Sasa and Oliver aren’t necessarily lighting it up, why isn’t Travis getting more PT? Only 10 minutes last night? He’s productive when he’s in.

Good question. I thought Travis was doing well when he was in. Having said that, often a coach bases his “who plays” decisions on how the player is doing defensively. Billy was great on D and on the boards last night. Sasa just needs to get more PT to get his game back to where it was at the end of his freshman year.

On another note, I’ll be really interested to see what kind of D Kentucky plays on Tim Frazier.

[quote="Mikey, post:11, topic:2841"]If Sasa and Oliver aren't necessarily lighting it up, why isn't Travis getting more PT? Only 10 minutes last night? He's productive when he's in.[/quote]

Good question. I thought Travis was doing well when he was in. Having said that, often a coach bases his “who plays” decisions on how the player is doing defensively. Billy was great on D and on the boards last night. Sasa just needs to get more PT to get his game back to where it was at the end of his freshman year.

On another note, I’ll be really interested to see what kind of D Kentucky plays on Tim Frazier.

My guess is they’ll try to force someone else to handle the ball, and make him shoot from the perimeter.

[quote="Mikey, post:11, topic:2841"]If Sasa and Oliver aren't necessarily lighting it up, why isn't Travis getting more PT? Only 10 minutes last night? He's productive when he's in.[/quote]

My guess is they’ll try to force someone else to handle the ball, and make him shoot from the perimeter.

Well he was 3-3 from deep last night, including one from Talor Battle land, so lets hope he keeps that up :slight_smile:

Well he was 3-3 from deep last night, including one from Talor Battle land, so lets hope he keeps that up :slight_smile:

With Frazier’s quickness, if he can develop a consistent three point shot, then he’ll become one of the toughest guards to handle in America. If you get tight to him, he can drive past you, if you back off, he can bury a jumper. Reminds me of my playing days, in my driveway. ;D

He needs to develop an 8 foot jumper in the lane or else he’s going to get mugged (just like he did the last two years) when he tries to take it all the way to the hoop in the Big Ten. He stopped and took the short jumper a couple times in the first three games - if he can do it consistently, he’ll be very tough to handle. I also think he surprises a lot of people with how high he can jump.

Or he needs to learn to make those crazy runners that Talor was so good at finishing.

[quote="Great Santini, post:1, topic:2841"]1. In the three games I've watched (two in person), Tim Frazier seems to be able to penetrate any defense (man-to-man or zone) at will.

5. Nice crowd for a dreary Wednesday night. Considering it was against a non-big name opponent, pretty good turnout. There is more enthusiasm in the building this year.

6. I thought Pat was going to mug Glover after he dove for that ball - just shows the kind of effort he wants and rewards.

7. Coming from behind with 7 minutes left and then pulling away is huge for a young team.

8. Next thing to work on is turning an 8 pt lead to 15 and then 20. It will come.

9. 10 man rotation again. Because Sasa and Trey got into foul trouble, Tim, Cam and Billy played ~35 minutes each. Last year, Talor would have played 40 and Jeff 38.

10. 10 boards for Billy. Huge.

11. Another solid game for Cam.

12. I was wondering if Pat was going to bench a player once he got two fouls in the 1st half. Yep.[/quote]

When Penn State develops a reputation for playing tenacious defense, they will get more slack from the refs. The players are still learning how to be aggressive without fouling as well. It’s not easy.

Many of the fouls called on Penn State were not as a result of “tenacious defense”. Too many were called while Penn State was in a half court defense and were a result from not identifying their match-up and/or poor defensive footwork. There were some fouls called as a result of either going for a rebound, or fighting for loose balls, but that was not the primary reason this team found themselves in foul trouble. Watch the game film again. You will see too many instances of PSU defenders either out of position (especially after some questionable double teams in inopportune situations), or struggling to gain proper defensive position on the LIU ball-handlers.