PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Just back from the game; my thoughts

Really nice win against a team that has played very good games this year. Clearly, we were the better team and we did what you’re supposed to do - beat a lesser team badly at home.

Great to see Talor get 2,000.

Nice crowd. Box score said 11,000+. I’d be surprised if it was more than 10,000 in attendance.

Speaking of which, where were the students? As with football, those who showed up were great, but where was everybody else? Was there something else going on today on campus? Or were all the students sweating that advanced nuclear physics test tomorrow? This was their chance to see one of their fellow students (probably the greatest basketball player in the school’s history) set the most games started record, hit 2,000 career points and make some unbelievable plays. Only 22 players in the entire history of the Big Ten have hit 2,000 points - one of them did it today in the BJC and he was wearing blue and white.

Speaking of which, where was the game ball presentation? The 2,000 mark was announced during a time out.

Our BJC staff, the band, the crowd, the students don’t know how to be a home court advantage yet. I couldn’t believe the band - played the PSU fight song as Northwestern took the court and then was playing something meaningless when the Lions took the court.

Billy Oliver looks like he has lost 30 pounds this season.

Tim Frazier is quick - like so quick he had no problem running down Michael Thompson who was doing a full court run to the basket. Tim’s first step is really good - if he can only learn to stop and take the 15 foot jumper . . .

Nice game by Andrew and DJ. DJ made some really nice off the ball cuts to the hoop and the guards found him a few times.

Good defense. NW lives by (a) the backdoor screen cut and (b) the three pointer. Both were conspicuously absent today.

There are two NBA talents on this team - Talor and Jeff. Talor may or may not get drafted, but he’ll at least get some free agent looks. If he doesn’t stick in the NBA, he’ll have a long and lucrative career overseas somewhere. Jeff is an NBA talent - no question. The question is whether he is an NBA player. He’s really starting to put it all together this year. Hopefully, he’ll make all Big Ten. He doesn’t get down as much on himself as he did in years past. He’s maturing - he’s got NBA talent and an NBA body.

The losses to Michigan are killing us - we should have won both those games.

Anyway, can’t make it to the Minny game. If anyone wants two tix in Sec. 120, row A let me know.

Hope to be there for OSU.

Didn’t realize that was you beside me at the game, assuming you were in 120 A today.

Yup. And I came from at least 125 miles away (and often 325 miles away), so I find it hard to understand why more students don’t show up.

Hey, on the 2000 point thing. Steve Jones quipped that it felt like he and Talor were the only ones who were aware of the 200 point mark being reached.

One of those moments where the “football school” monicer might just fit.

I don’t know how Steve keeps the enthusiasm up. He’s a real pro.

Maybe this board could sponsor a “HOOPS FAN 101 Course” for those who think the BJC is only there for football to watch Tailgreat before football games in bad weather.

The losses to Michigan are killing us - we should have won both those games.

It’s a shame, too. Even if we just get one and then hold on against Purdue… we’re sitting pretty right now. Instead we’re backs to the wall, scrapping for our lives. Frustrating to know if this team doesn’t dance it will probably be because of just a handful of plays added up to several losses where they couldn’t afford them. I will very likely weep like a school girl if that’s the reality I’m left to deal with, I want this so bad for these guys - especially Talor.

Anyways, good insights.

Agree that Jeff is becoming an NBA talent but think he may wind up overseas. He just doesn’t get enough easy buckets for himself still. He makes it look easy sometimes, don’t get me wrong - but he earns every point out there. Might not have the same level of success against bigger, quicker bodies at the next level. Still, he’s got the skills to make a career out of this game somewhere and if he keeps developing I could definitely see him surprising some NBA scouts this spring.

It’s a shame, too. Even if we just get one and then hold on against Purdue… we’re sitting pretty right now. Instead we’re backs to the wall, scrapping for our lives. Frustrating to know if this team doesn’t dance it will probably be because of just a handful of plays added up to several losses where they couldn’t afford them. I will very likely weep like a school girl if that’s the reality I’m left to deal with, I want this so bad for these guys - especially Talor. [/quote]

;D Interesting choice of words there, I like it.
Seriously though, I feel the same way. I was almost completely convinced after the Wisconsin game, and then some big letdowns. I feel like missing the tournament would be a big missed opportunity for this team, this year.

This was a canning weekend, for what it is worth. Nothing was going on on campus. Most PSU students simply don’t care about basketball.

As mentioned above, most students simply don’t care. Your median PSU student doesn’t know who Talor Battle is, let alone his point total. And besides, even as a die-hard myself, besides feeling good for him, I don’t get much out of milestones like that. I’m much more interested in wins and losses.

But don’t fool yourself about student turnout. My guess is that the median PSU U-Park student goes his entire 4 years without attending a game.

Because most students don’t care about PSU hoops that much. Honestly, I’d even venture to say that they don’t care about PSU sports too much; if tailgating wasn’t a part of the PSU football experience, many of the male students wouldn’t bothering going, and probably a fair majority of the female students.

It’s still there for this team to make a run at the Dance and I just have a feeling that Battle and Brooks will see to it that it gets done. If it takes an eye-opener at home over Ohio State, then that’s what they will do.

Interesting scenario brewing…Say PSU beats Minny twice and they both end up with identical 9-9 records and they both go 1-1 in the BTT. Minny has the better record, based on an 11-1 OOC record, which included wins over both UNC and WVU in Puerto Rico. But since Thanksgiving Minny has one total quality win against Purdue at home. That’s it. Add to that the fact that they miss out on games at Illinois and home vs Wisconsin whereas PSU’s misses out on the daily double of Indy/Iowa and one can see that PSU once again has the dominant in-conference resume in addition to beating them twice. But the NCAA loves Tubby, so they’ll of course get another 10 seed where they’ll bomb out of the NCAA’s while a hotter PSU team ends up winning the NIT again. Hmmm…“deja vu all over again”

Another interesting tidbit…should Illinois lose at home to Michigan this coming week, they will most likely finish the Big Ten with an 8-10 record (games at MSU/OSU/Purdue still to come…ouch…and home games vs the other “I” schools), finishing up 5-10 over their last 15 after a 3-0 conference start. Is that worthy of a Dance card? BTW they miss out on games at Michigan and home vs Minnesota. Key wins vs UNC, Gonzaga, Maryland you would think would put them in front of PSU…but oh those last 15 games. Of course I personally want them to destroy Michigan, further drowning Michigan’s chances at stealing a bid.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:10, topic:1935”]It’s still there for this team to make a run at the Dance and I just have a feeling that Battle and Brooks will see to it that it gets done. If it takes an eye-opener at home over Ohio State, then that’s what they will do.

Interesting scenario brewing…Say PSU beats Minny twice and they both end up with identical 9-9 records and they both go 1-1 in the BTT. Minny has the better record, based on an 11-1 OOC record, which included wins over both UNC and WVU in Puerto Rico. But since Thanksgiving Minny has one total quality win against Purdue at home. That’s it. Add to that the fact that they miss out on games at Illinois and home vs Wisconsin whereas PSU’s misses out on the daily double of Indy/Iowa and one can see that PSU once again has the dominant in-conference resume in addition to beating them twice. But the NCAA loves Tubby, so they’ll of course get another 10 seed where they’ll bomb out of the NCAA’s while a hotter PSU team ends up winning the NIT again. Hmmm…“deja vu all over again”

Another interesting tidbit…should Illinois lose at home to Michigan this coming week, they will most likely finish the Big Ten with an 8-10 record (games at MSU/OSU/Purdue still to come…ouch…and home games vs the other “I” schools), finishing up 5-10 over their last 15 after a 3-0 conference start. Is that worthy of a Dance card? BTW they miss out on games at Michigan and home vs Minnesota. Key wins vs UNC, Gonzaga, Maryland you would think would put them in front of PSU…but oh those last 15 games. Of course I personally want them to destroy Michigan, further drowning Michigan’s chances at stealing a bid.[/quote]

Say it often enough and maybe somebody will start to believe you. ::slight_smile:

Post enough Lar and maybe someone will start to believe you. ::slight_smile:

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:10, topic:1935”]It’s still there for this team to make a run at the Dance and I just have a feeling that Battle and Brooks will see to it that it gets done. If it takes an eye-opener at home over Ohio State, then that’s what they will do.

Another interesting tidbit…should Illinois lose at home to Michigan this coming week, they will most likely finish the Big Ten with an 8-10 record (games at MSU/OSU/Purdue still to come…ouch…and home games vs the other “I” schools), finishing up 5-10 over their last 15 after a 3-0 conference start. Is that worthy of a Dance card? BTW they miss out on games at Michigan and home vs Minnesota. Key wins vs UNC, Gonzaga, Maryland you would think would put them in front of PSU…but oh those last 15 games. Of course I personally want them to destroy Michigan, further drowning Michigan’s chances at stealing a bid.[/quote]

Another interesting tidbit, as of right now, PSU is only a half game away from 4th place in the BIG TEN.

4th place didn’t help us 2 years ago!! :wink:

But, seriously. Nice win. We just have NWs number. We play relaxed against them. We control the paint.

Isn’t it fun when the games actually count for something!! Heck we entered this game 2 games below 500% BUT the game has meaning. WE ARE in the NCAA hunt. We should be every year!!

The same way we do here… Brain Damage! :wink:

Of course, he gets the benefit of talking hoops with Dickie J for a few hours twice a week. That would fire me up too!

Interesting scenario brewing...Say PSU beats Minny twice and they both end up with identical 9-9 records and they both go 1-1 in the BTT. Minny has the better record, based on an 11-1 OOC record, which included wins over both UNC and WVU in Puerto Rico. But since Thanksgiving Minny has one total quality win against Purdue at home. That's it. Add to that the fact that they miss out on games at Illinois and home vs Wisconsin whereas PSU's misses out on the daily double of Indy/Iowa and one can see that PSU once again has the dominant in-conference resume in addition to beating them twice. But [b]the NCAA loves Tubby[/b], so they'll of course get another 10 seed where they'll bomb out of the NCAA's while a hotter PSU team ends up winning the NIT again. Hmmm..."deja vu all over again"

Say it often enough and maybe somebody will start to believe you. ::slight_smile:

Post enough Lar and maybe someone will start to believe you. ::)

let’s not forget the irrefutable proof

when in doubt, blame espn & teddy valentine

Couple things stood out to me:

1. Actual Attendance I would bet around the 7,000 mark.

2. During pre-game warm-up, all PSU does is shoot 3 pointers, that includes DJ and Brooks. You would think that the frontcourt guys would shoot a set of mid-range jumpers, as well as some back to the basket post moves. I guess that explains why you never see it in the game.

3. NW just played bad, I have to believe Carmody might get the axe at the end of the year. NW was very lethargic out on the court and obviously their shots were not falling, but the effort really wasn’t there either.

4. Another stupid move by Ed keeping Brooks in the game up 20 in the second half. His shoulder is still not 100% and when you are up by 20 with the way NW was playing, Brooks should have sat after the 1st TO in the second half as you can’t afford Brooks to re-injure the shoulder if you expect any chance to end the season on a bang. Also Ed did not use this game at all to get Bowman or Marshall any extended play time even though PSU was up double digits the whole game and by more than 15 for most of it. Just bad player development.

5. Would like to see Frazier penetrate more. He can usually beat his man off the dribble at will and if he could get into the paint, could create some opportunities…that said.

6. PSU frontcourt is HORRIBLE at getting open when somebody drives to the basket. Brooks is getting better at it, but DJ and Jones and Oliver just don’t have the feel for the game when Frazier and/or Battle drive to the rim to follow the driver to the basket and get open. I can understand why Frazier doesn’t drive as much as there is nobody besides Battle and Brooks who know where to space themselves for an open shot when he does.

7. $55 for four adult and three kids with a voucher for 4 free drinks and 4 subway subs (couldn’t get them at the BJC Subway unfortunately), not a bad deal for an afternoon of entertainment.

I hear ya. I drive about 350 round trip for every game. And got a bunch of insults hurled at me on Twitter for calling out the attendance of “nittany nation” pathetic. Also, we agree on a lot of things, Lar, but no way is 1/4 of the student body participating in canning. That seems way high to me.

[quote="Great Santini, post:3, topic:1935"]Yup. And I came from at least 125 miles away (and often 325 miles away), so I find it hard to understand why more students don't show up.[/quote]

I hear ya. I drive about 350 round trip for every game. And got a bunch of insults hurled at me on Twitter for calling out the attendance of “nittany nation” pathetic. Also, we agree on a lot of things, Lar, but no way is 1/4 of the student body participating in canning. That seems way high to me.

The student support is pathetic. No beating around the bush on that one. I’ll give credit to the ones who show up but its pretty sad. Nothing looks worse on tv than the row of fat cats sitting there with 1 row of students standing directly behind them.
[quote="Great Santini, post:3, topic:1935"]Yup. And I came from at least 125 miles away (and often 325 miles away), so I find it hard to understand why more students don't show up.[/quote]

I did a rough calculation based on this Collegian article that stated that they had more than 1600 intersections staked out for the last canning weekend. I was figuring around 5 per intersection.