PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

JUCO's

With the upper classmen cupboard being left pretty empty after this season, do we have any idea if Ed is looking to bring in a couple JUCO’s to “create” a Junior class, and if so, do we have any way of knowing who he may be looking at? It is my understanding that we still have one scholarship open right now and perhaps two (Taran Buie situation depending).

Listened to the Coaches Show tonight. Ed said they are looking for someone to fill out class. Didn’t say if it was going to be HS Senior of JUCO.

Did anyone call in?

My thinking is that he might prefer a Juco who can give him some more experience rather than a hs kid. Plus I do think he would prefer the team to be more evenly spread out in terms of class standing. I’ll just be happy with anyone that can contribute.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:2, topic:1813"]Listened to the Coaches Show tonight. Ed said they are looking for someone to fill out class. Didn't say if it was going to be HS Senior of JUCO.[/quote] Did anyone call in?
Yes. The caller asked the question. Ed said the coaches were recruiting but it's tough with the season underway.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:2, topic:1813"]Listened to the Coaches Show tonight. Ed said they are looking for someone to fill out class. Didn't say if it was going to be HS Senior of JUCO.[/quote] Did anyone call in?
Yes. The caller asked the question. Ed said the coaches were recruiting but it's tough with the season underway.

Anyone ask about the mental state of the team after those 2 tough losses?

Yes. DJ was on show and said that Seniors aren’t letting up, it’s their last go round and their goal is NCAA’s and that’s where they are heading.

I love that attitude!

I called in and asked about Billy Oliver playing the 3 position and if Ed liked when the crowd is mostly students.

Ed said Billy never plays the 3 because he hasn’t been taught it yet and he’s needed at the 4/5 anyway. I think Billy better learn to play the three next year if this team’s gonna win some games.

Also, Ed says he’s fond of the crowd when the students show up 'cause they bring a lot of energy.

I called in and asked about Billy Oliver playing the 3 position and if Ed liked when the crowd is mostly students.

Ed said Billy never plays the 3 because he hasn’t been taught it yet and he’s needed at the 4/5 anyway. I think Billy better learn to play the three next year if this team’s gonna win some games.

Also, Ed says he’s fond of the crowd when the students show up 'cause they bring a lot of energy.

I disagree. We have others who can play the 3 next year, but we will need 4/5 more next year than this season !

I disagree. We have others who can play the 3 next year, but we will need 4/5 more next year than this season !

Yeah Billy and Sasa will get most of the mins at the 4/5 until some younger guys get some experience or prove they can play

Yeah Billy and Sasa will get most of the mins at the 4/5 until some younger guys get some experience or prove they can play

I think next year I want to see Billy, Sasa, Graham and the two 6-11 guys playing the 4/5 with Billy playing the 3 at some points in the game when PSU wants to go big. I hope he’s not eliminated from consideration at the 3.

Billy is not a 3. He’d be very exposed trying to guard smaller guys on the perimeter. And he’s only going to get bigger. Don’t try to make him into something that he isn’t. He can be a successful PF and backup center for us for the next 3 years.

Agree, Oliver needs to focus all of his offseason improvement into becoming a solid stretch-4. I would argue that PSU’s five 2011 bigs are a bigger question mark than their five wing players. Oliver has a position, let him develop at it.

[quote="JakkL, post:13, topic:1813"]Billy is not a 3. He'd be very exposed trying to guard smaller guys on the perimeter. And he's only going to get bigger. Don't try to make him into something that he isn't.[/quote] Agree, Oliver needs to focus all of his offseason improvement into becoming a solid stretch-4. I would argue that PSU's five 2011 bigs are a bigger question mark than their five wing players. Oliver has a position, let him develop at it.
Sasa/Graham/Pat/Peter are all ? marks. With Ed's lack of ability to recruit and develop big men i'm not holding my breath :-\

[quote="JakkL, post:13, topic:1813"]Billy is not a 3. He'd be very exposed trying to guard smaller guys on the perimeter. And he's only going to get bigger. Don't try to make him into something that he isn't.[/quote] Agree, Oliver needs to focus all of his offseason improvement into becoming a solid stretch-4. I would argue that PSU's five 2011 bigs are a bigger question mark than their five wing players. Oliver has a position, let him develop at it.
Sasa/Graham/Pat/Peter are all ? marks. With Ed's lack of ability to recruit and develop big men i'm not holding my breath :-\
Speaking of Graham. One minute in one game for the season is all he has played. Did he get injured and able to redshirt, or did they just use up a whole season of eligibility for that momentary appearance? I hopping that I missed something on this subject and he still has all his eligibility left.

Speaking of Graham. One minute in one game for the season is all he has played. Did he get injured and able to redshirt, or did they just use up a whole season of eligibility for that momentary appearance? I hopping that I missed something on this subject and he still has all his eligibility left.
Redshirt