Jones's Saturday column and blog

Column: “Penn State basketball team’s struggles start in the frontcourt”

Blog: “Same sad tune from mid-aughts replaying at PSU” - expands upon the column

Right on point…other than the fact Ott isn’t a freshman :slight_smile:

100% agree!!!

Sad, but spot on dj.

I’m hoping this will be a wake-up call to a kid like Jones (Brooks, not so sure). He’ll have two fairly good matchups in Iowa and Indy to try and get back on track. Not holding my breath in either case though.

[quote=“NittanyIllini, post:4, topic:658”]Sad, but spot on dj.

I’m hoping this will be a wake-up call to a kid like Jones (Brooks, not so sure). He’ll have two fairly good matchups in Iowa and Indy to try and get back on track. Not holding my breath in either case though.[/quote]

Great column and wake-up call to the fan base and administration. The lack of big men coming into the program is an issue.

Sadly, I think we’re starting back down the same path with ED that we had with Dunn post sweet 16. ED’s not going to be able to turn this around, and I hope the administration cuts their losses sooner rather than later.

Agree entirely, but boy, that’s a tough article. He’s likely to be cut off from the team with that one.

I’m not even sure what I’d try with this team. I think I’d play Sasa and play zone, as he’s shown to be weak on D, but at least he knows how to play the post, can get fouled and get FTA’s. Maybe a lineup of 3 guards, Sasa at the 5 and DJ. Sasa knows not only how to play the post, but does it, seems to like it, like most 6’9" guys with any talent, should.

Something drastic and soon. I guess IU is next.

gotta agree with kid on this one. I’ve been very suprised that Sasa is at the 4 and not the 5. The 5 is a much easier position to learn schematically. Sasa’s probably played the 5 his whole life except for his Jr year when his team had the 7 footer.

Someone has to start scoring inside. AJ is lost on O and I can’t believe how many hacks he does at guys after he doesn’t secure a rebound. DJ just doesn’t have the mentality to do anything other than the little things, which was fine when you had Mel to lean on. Brooks… He has no interest in fighting for position on O or D and that’s not going to change.

I disagree with those of you who think this is our most talented team. This is the most athletic team NOT the most talented. We aren’t losing because teams out-athleticize us. We’re losing becuase the other team plays basketball better than our guys are doing.

[quote=“JakkL, post:7, topic:658”]gotta agree with kid on this one. I’ve been very suprised that Sasa is at the 4 and not the 5. The 5 is a much easier position to learn schematically. Sasa’s probably played the 5 his whole life except for his Jr year when his team had the 7 footer.

Someone has to start scoring inside. AJ is lost on O and I can’t believe how many hacks he does at guys after he doesn’t secure a rebound. DJ just doesn’t have the mentality to do anything other than the little things, which was fine when you had Mel to lean on. Brooks… He has no interest in fighting for position on O or D and that’s not going to change.

I disagree with those of you who think this is our most talented team. This is the most athletic team NOT the most talented. We aren’t losing because teams out-athleticize us. We’re losing becuase the other team plays basketball better than our guys are doing.[/quote]

Well said. I have been wondering what some people’s definition of talent is.

[quote="JakkL, post:7, topic:658"]gotta agree with kid on this one. I've been very suprised that Sasa is at the 4 and not the 5. The 5 is a much easier position to learn schematically. Sasa's probably played the 5 his whole life except for his Jr year when his team had the 7 footer.

I disagree with those of you who think this is our most talented team. This is the most athletic team NOT the most talented. We aren’t losing because teams out-athleticize us. We’re losing becuase the other team plays basketball better than our guys are doing.[/quote]

Well said. I have been wondering what some people’s definition of talent is.

Amen and Amen.
There is a huge difference between being athletic and being a good basketball player. I have watched a lot of HS basketball for 40 years. I have know/seen athletic kids recruited by colleges who were flat out poor HS players. Some college coaches recruit athletic players with the chance that in 4 or 5 years they can teach them how to play basketball. Works sometimes, NOT always.