Jones readies for trip home

collegian.psu.edu story

Lots of mention of his offense coming. Problem I see with his offense is, unlike DJ, who vs. SHU was pivoting on his inside, or closer to the basket foot, to get an inside shot, Jones does the opposite, pivots on his outside or away foot, steps away from the basket and takes 10’ jumpers. He does this to get clearance, where DJ fights for position inside. Jones’ move might be something you’d expect from a smaller player who is more prone to get blocked inside, even if he beats his man, so they step away for a short jumper. 41% shooting pretty poor for a center. That’s indicative of his shot selection. Not that I agree one should always pivot off the closer foot, but it’s a Pete Newell cardinal rule, certainly for big men. Seems easy to work on this in practice. When doing it, you end up bumping bodies, as opposed to stepping away and avoiding contact, and maybe he just feels he can’t get good shot doing this, but IMO, this is critical to do for a center. IMO, his offense will not come unless he starts doing this. Of his 3 baskets last game, 2 of them were on dunks after dishes inside to him by Battle, after Battle beat his man, and Jones was sort of getting in position to rebound. Nice work if you can get it, but the team can’t count on this too regularly. He needs to develop better footwork and take it to the hole by setting up on the strong side, playing with his back to the basket and creating his own shot. To date, I don’t recall him doing this.

I totally agree that Andrew’s offensive problems are 9/10s footwork. Basketball football is best and most easily learned/taught at a young age. Just like tennis and golf etc. Andrew has been coached hard at PSU and each year his footwork has been improving BUT he still has a ways to go. I don’t think Andrew will ever score much at PSU with post moves…BUT that is OK he is still a productive player and can be a more productive player by playing good defense/rebounding/setting picks/passing the ball.
By contrast Sasa appears to have very good footwork but lacks other elements to score inside at the BigTen11 level.
Look around the BigTen11. There are not many scorers with good inside post moves.

Both can and will improve. Remember this is PSU. We have not been an NBA factory. That doesn’t mean our players (Andrew/Sasa/ et al) can not be productive team players.
P.S. Cornley had great footwork! So did big John A. and Frank Brickowski.

Dick Harter and his staff really worked hard on Brick. I am not sure that he was seen as having the potential that they got out of him after arriving.

Brickowski was skilled at PSU BUT very sloooow. I don’t know if it was immediately after PSU or one or two years later but Brick really last a lot of weight, got hard and very very fit. He ran the court and played like a mad man in the NBA.

The way I remember it was that he was more deliberate than slow. He was not instinctive out there. I never saw a guy built completely from scratch like Brick was.

[quote="tundra, post:5, topic:412"]Brickowski was skilled at PSU BUT very sloooow. I don't know if it was immediately after PSU or one or two years later but Brick really last a lot of weight, got hard and very very fit. He ran the court and played like a mad man in the NBA.[/quote]

The way I remember it was that he was more deliberate than slow. He was not instinctive out there. I never saw a guy built completely from scratch like Brick was.

Good point, tjb.

Same angle in CDT story today – Jones returning home.

Couldn’t find even a blip of pre-game coverage in the Inky or DN this morning.