Jones on Mr. Wright

Don’t think I saw this posted yet, but Dave Jones had an interesting article in the Patriot on Jay Wright this weekend:

Jay Wright’s substance trumps style at Villanova

I found it interesting the way Wright treats some of his freshmen playmakers, and it made me wonder how some of PSU’s players (Frazier in particular) would fare with this approach:

[quote=“djones article”]He (Wright) is loved because he lets them dive in and begin to tap their potential right away, to make inevitable youthful mistakes and learn from them. He’s learned that there’s no upside in the long run to climbing all over or pulling teenage playmakers when they make turnovers. As long as they play hard with confidence and enthusiasm, he’ll accept some reckless mistakes. Then, he’ll give the players the responsibility to rein themselves in as they gain experience and begin to see the unique geometry of the game at major-college speed.

It’s an approach players love because it allows them to grow more quickly.

For instance, when current senior and team leader Scottie Reynolds was a freshman, Wright could immediately see his potential as a playmaker and scorer. He wanted Reynolds to develop those skills as quickly as possible because he needed Reynolds’ points. The last thing he wanted was to ease him into the lineup for brief segments. He wanted to force him to explore his entire game right away, warts and all. He knew doing this would pay dividends down the line.

But, Wright explained, the only way to live with a sometimes out-of-control Reynolds was to make sure the older ‘Cats were prudent:

"We told Mike Nardi and Curtis Sumpter, ‘You guys can’t make mistakes. Because we gotta let [Reynolds] go so he can score. And right now, the only way he can do it is if he’s just wild. He’s not experienced enough to do it efficiently.’ “Now, [freshman] Maalik Wayns is the one we let go. He was 3-for-9 [against Georgetown]. But he gives us great energy. He can go crazy now. But Scottie can’t.”

After a recent game, Wayns said Reynolds told him, “Enjoy this now. Because when you’re a senior, they’re all gonna be coming after you. And so is Coach.”

With this method, Wright has been able to cycle in his kids. And when they’re needed to take over and be mentors and leaders as upperclassmen, they’re really ready.[/quote]

Thoughts?

Sounds like what Ed did with Talor. Bill too, to a lesser degree.

I like it.

Don't think I saw this posted yet, but Dave Jones had an interesting article in the Patriot on Jay Wright this weekend:

Jay Wright’s substance trumps style at Villanova

I found it interesting the way Wright treats some of his freshmen playmakers, and it made me wonder how some of PSU’s players (Frazier in particular) would fare with this approach:

[quote=“djones article”]He (Wright) is loved because he lets them dive in and begin to tap their potential right away, to make inevitable youthful mistakes and learn from them. He’s learned that there’s no upside in the long run to climbing all over or pulling teenage playmakers when they make turnovers. As long as they play hard with confidence and enthusiasm, he’ll accept some reckless mistakes. Then, he’ll give the players the responsibility to rein themselves in as they gain experience and begin to see the unique geometry of the game at major-college speed.

It’s an approach players love because it allows them to grow more quickly.

For instance, when current senior and team leader Scottie Reynolds was a freshman, Wright could immediately see his potential as a playmaker and scorer. He wanted Reynolds to develop those skills as quickly as possible because he needed Reynolds’ points. The last thing he wanted was to ease him into the lineup for brief segments. He wanted to force him to explore his entire game right away, warts and all. He knew doing this would pay dividends down the line.

But, Wright explained, the only way to live with a sometimes out-of-control Reynolds was to make sure the older ‘Cats were prudent:

"We told Mike Nardi and Curtis Sumpter, ‘You guys can’t make mistakes. Because we gotta let [Reynolds] go so he can score. And right now, the only way he can do it is if he’s just wild. He’s not experienced enough to do it efficiently.’ “Now, [freshman] Maalik Wayns is the one we let go. He was 3-for-9 [against Georgetown]. But he gives us great energy. He can go crazy now. But Scottie can’t.”

After a recent game, Wayns said Reynolds told him, “Enjoy this now. Because when you’re a senior, they’re all gonna be coming after you. And so is Coach.”

With this method, Wright has been able to cycle in his kids. And when they’re needed to take over and be mentors and leaders as upperclassmen, they’re really ready.[/quote]

Thoughts?

How romantic Jones.

It’s “romantic” when you are winning on the national scene. But, it reality it’s a standard move used in the 6th grade up to and including the NBA.

Winning makes Jay Wright a god and losing makes Ed…well Ed.
My bet is that Ed knows just as much basketball (or more) than Wright. The college game is about RECUITING!

[quote=“tundra, post:4, topic:778”]It’s “romantic” when you are winning on the national scene. But, it reality it’s a standard move used in the 6th grade up to and including the NBA.

My bet is that Ed knows just as much basketball (or more) than Wright. The college game is about RECUITING![/quote]

It reminds me of the story that came out when Dunn was here. After the team gave an uninspired effort, he wouldn’t let them wear PSU gear at the next practice or two. Many thought that it was disrespectful and a bad coaching move. A year or two ago, the same thing happened at Florida and Donovan was praised as being a great motivator and knowing how to get the kids to play harder.

If you’re winning, whatever you do will be looked upon as great coaching. When you’re losing, letting a freshman play through mistakes would be seen as a bad thing by many.

[quote="tundra, post:4, topic:778"]It's "romantic" when you are winning on the national scene. But, it reality it's a standard move used in the 6th grade up to and including the NBA.

My bet is that Ed knows just as much basketball (or more) than Wright. The college game is about RECUITING![/quote]

It reminds me of the story that came out when Dunn was here. After the team gave an uninspired effort, he wouldn’t let them wear PSU gear at the next practice or two. Many thought that it was disrespectful and a bad coaching move. A year or two ago, the same thing happened at Florida and Donovan was praised as being a great motivator and knowing how to get the kids to play harder.

If you’re winning, whatever you do will be looked upon as great coaching. When you’re losing, letting a freshman play through mistakes would be seen as a bad thing by many.

I feel the same way. It’s easy to let a 4-star, and TOP 5 PG “tap their potential right away”, especially when you have a few other future NBA players there to clean up after he makes his mistakes.

[quote=“tundra, post:4, topic:778”]It’s “romantic” when you are winning on the national scene. But, it reality it’s a standard move used in the 6th grade up to and including the NBA.

I find it fascinating that many around here think Ed is a good coach and bad recruiter and many others think he is a bad coach and a good recruiter. And then I guess there is a 3rd group that thinks he is good at neither. I guess the only thing we can all agree on is that Ed is not a good coach AND a good recruiter.

[quote="tundra, post:4, topic:778"]It's "romantic" when you are winning on the national scene. But, it reality it's a standard move used in the 6th grade up to and including the NBA.

I find it fascinating that many around here think Ed is a good coach and bad recruiter and many others think he is a bad coach and a good recruiter. And then I guess there is a 3rd group that thinks he is good at neither. I guess the only thing we can all agree on is that Ed is not a good coach AND a good recruiter.

The people who think ED is a good recruiter are those who act like recruiting kids to play at PSU is as hard as getting kids to come to Mount St. Mary’s.

ED’s records speaks for himself on both accounts.

As far as Wright, he’s an awesome coach. I’m always amazed how hard his kids play for him. And they seem to buy into the shared minutes routine. But most important, Jay is a magnetic guy who can recruit. He’s like the anti-ED.

[quote=“tundra, post:4, topic:778”]My bet is that Ed knows just as much basketball (or more) than Wright. The college game is about RECUITING![/quote] That just made my day ;D

Earlier in the year, someone mentioned Duke basketball in the same sentence as Penn State Basketball.
HMMM…
Do Not mention ED in the same sentence as Jay Wright.
I hope the day comes when we can all comfortably do both, right now is not the time.
It seems that the glass is half full side says that we need to start prepping for next year with this year’s team fully intact plus LIL battle.
The half empty side says Ed has to go.
My glass is half empty, but it contains Grey Goose.
So I’ll have something to fan the flames of victory or defeat.
We need to win one fellas. I just hope these kids have not given up on their coach.
Like I have.

[quote=“oldtownclub, post:10, topic:778”]Earlier in the year, someone mentioned Duke basketball in the same sentence as Penn State Basketball.
HMMM…
Do Not mention ED in the same sentence as Jay Wright.
I hope the day comes when we can all comfortably do both, right now is not the time.
It seems that the glass is half full side says that we need to start prepping for next year with this year’s team fully intact plus LIL battle.
The half empty side says Ed has to go.
My glass is half empty, but it contains Grey Goose.
So I’ll have something to fan the flames of victory or defeat.
We need to win one fellas. I just hope these kids have not given up on their coach.
Like I have.[/quote]I think almost all agree that Ed is a great guy that works his tail off, but when it comes down to the coaching and recruiting its simply not getting done. Whether its coaching or recruiting or a combination of both it’s not getting done PERIOD!

I agree with Battlesway2. 100 percent.