PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Jones: Iceberg of fail

I hope you don’t mind that I renamed the article

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/04/prestons_departure_just_tip_of.html

[quote=“NGameday, post:1, topic:2336”]I hope you don’t mind that I renamed the article

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/04/prestons_departure_just_tip_of.html[/quote]

Nevermind, just my Iceberg of fail

Talk about reaching for a story. Assistant coaches leaving in attempts to climb the coaching ranks themselves? Unheard of!!! One of the bottom teams in the league has one of the lowest pay grades? Unbelievable!!! Compelling stuff here.

One of the staffs HAS to be the lowest paid in the league unless they all make pact for every school to pay all coaches the exact same amount.

Here is the question I would raise…would any other program in the Big Ten take the PSU staff as a whole over their current staff. Chicken or egg syndrome, but they also have the worst record and are arguably the worst team over the past 8 years since this staff came on board, so they should be the lowest paid in that respect.

I agree that PSU Admin has no clue how to move the BBall program up a notch, but giving the current staff big pay raises would be about #50 on my list of things to do to make that happen.

[quote=“Cletus11, post:4, topic:2336”]One of the staffs HAS to be the lowest paid in the league unless they all make pact for every school to pay all coaches the exact same amount.

Here is the question I would raise…would any other program in the Big Ten take the PSU staff as a whole over their current staff. Chicken or egg syndrome, but they also have the worst record and are arguably the worst team over the past 8 years since this staff came on board, so they should be the lowest paid in that respect.

I agree that PSU Admin has no clue how to move the BBall program up a notch, but giving the current staff big pay raises would be about #50 on my list of things to do to make that happen.[/quote]#1 would be big pay raises to a new staff :wink:

[quote=“Cletus11, post:4, topic:2336”]One of the staffs HAS to be the lowest paid in the league unless they all make pact for every school to pay all coaches the exact same amount.

I agree that PSU Admin has no clue how to move the BBall program up a notch, but giving the current staff big pay raises would be about #50 on my list of things to do to make that happen.[/quote]

At what point do you stop judging DeChellis and the staff on the first few years after they took over and start judging them on recent results? Here’s the conference results over the last four years.

Ranked by Average Finish:

Ranked by Big Ten Winning Percentage:

Ranked by Overall Winning Percentage:

Penn State has been a middle of the pack Big Ten team for the last four years but they surely have not been compensated as such. DeChellis has performed as well as Bruce Weber, John Beilein, and Tubby Smith over that period but you can bet your bottom dollar he hasn’t been paid nearly as well as they have. Clearly, the staff deserves to be paid better.

I’m not sure how a 29-43 big ten record indicates they deserve to be paid more? Matter of fact, I’m sure it’s NOT an indication of needing to be paid more.

I’m in the camp that the Ath Dpt is as much to blame as anyone, however you don’t reward lack of success based upon a large sample size. Its not like Ed D has pulled a Frank Beamer or Coach K like turnaround since his hire…

Bruce Weber has been at Illinois as long as ED has been at PSU. But you can’t compare ED to Tubby or Beilein – at least not by the standards of your stats in this post. Your stats prove that ED has done a lot better in his second four years than his first four. But Tubby and Beilein are still in their first four years on the job. If you want to play that card, let’s see how they all stack up for years 5-8 of each head coach’s tenure.

STOP IT WITH the money!!!

If the coaches didn’t WANT the job they would NOT have applied, interviewed and accepted the job!! If they have changed they mind about liking the job then…they should know by now where the door is.

EVERYBODY EVERYBODY EVERYBODY knows the difference between PSU and the rest of the league. The HC and his staff would all have been fired after 4 or 5 years at all other BigTen11/12 schools…PSU offers job security!!! JOB SECURITY is HUGE in this field…heck, in any field!!
$100,000 to share the coaching responsibility of 13 kids with 3 others is PDG (Pretty Damn Good.)

P.S. I worked 30 something years at a company who was pretty strong at “job security.” I could have made more at other companies. But, those companies had “more risk.” In summary, the “job security” jobs are GREAT deals. By the way, I retired at 55!!

I don’t think we need to pass the collection plate for our coaches!!

[quote=“UncleLar, post:6, topic:2336”]… …

Penn State has been a middle of the pack Big Ten team for the last four years but they surely have not been compensated as such…the staff deserves to be paid better.[/quote]

If there was any justice in the world, Talor Battle would have been paid - he’s the primary reason PSU was in the middle of the pack the last four years.

They spent the previous four years near or at the bottom. My fear is that they will revert back to ill-form now that Talor is gone. If the staff manages to build on momentum and continue the team’s improvement, then I’m all for throwing money at them.

[quote=“tundra, post:9, topic:2336”]STOP IT WITH the money!!!

If the coaches didn’t WANT the job they would NOT have applied, interviewed and accepted the job!! If they have changed they mind about liking the job then…they should know by now where the door is.

EVERYBODY EVERYBODY EVERYBODY knows the difference between PSU and the rest of the league. The HC and his staff would all have been fired after 4 or 5 years at all other BigTen11/12 schools…PSU offers job security!!! JOB SECURITY is HUGE in this field…heck, in any field!!
$100,000 to share the coaching responsibility of 13 kids with 3 others is PDG (Pretty Damn Good.)

P.S. I worked 30 something years at a company who was pretty strong at “job security.” I could have made more at other companies. But, those companies had “more risk.” In summary, the “job security” jobs are GREAT deals. By the way, I retired at 55!!

I don’t think we need to pass the collection plate for our coaches!! [/quote]

Not often I do this with tundra and craftsy but, +1 to both of them.

This is just more people jumping on the ‘program is dead’ bandwagon. It is unlikely we are going to be any good at all next year. Fine, but I’d like to see if who we got can ball first before writing off the whole program to s***. I think there’s some potential on this roster, especially if the Graham hype is true. Even moreso if we land Henton or Glover.

[quote=“tundra, post:9, topic:2336”]STOP IT WITH the money!!!

I don’t think we need to pass the collection plate for our coaches!! [/quote]

So all other schools that pay more are higher risks? Only PSU provides job security?

STOP IT WITH the money!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don’t think we need to pass the collection plate for our coaches!!

So all other schools that pay more are higher risks? Only PSU provides job security?

1. I think, as close to “ALL” as you can get…2. I think PSU provides the most security per $. (Example LHU probaly would have provided equal or more security BUT at a lower $!
    In summary the PSU coaching jobs ARE GREAT DEALS…Put that into a Floating pie chart and smoke it!!

A great deal for the coach…less accountability traded for less pay.

Doesn’t mean it’s a great deal for the program.

[quote="UncleLar, post:6, topic:2336"].... ...

Penn State has been a middle of the pack Big Ten team for the last four years but they surely have not been compensated as such…the staff deserves to be paid better.[/quote]

If there was any justice in the world, Talor Battle would have been paid - he’s the primary reason PSU was in the middle of the pack the last four years.

They spent the previous four years near or at the bottom. My fear is that they will revert back to ill-form now that Talor is gone. If the staff manages to build on momentum and continue the team’s improvement, then I’m all for throwing money at them.

Then I guess Coach Cal at Kentucky should be throwing money at all his 1 and done’s from the past 10 years, since they’re the reason he has had so much success.

I mean what does this even mean? You don’t get to pick and choose who gets credit and when.

[quote=“Tom, post:14, topic:2336”]A great deal for the coach…less accountability traded for less pay.

Doesn’t mean it’s a great deal for the program.[/quote]

Seems like it has been. We’re getting better return on our money than most of the league right now.

I have some sympathy for the salaries of assistant coaches at Penn State across the board, except for the Football assistants, where I suspect Paterno has bought some of their loyalty over the past couple years. However, with respect to MBB, I haven’t seen Kanaskie, Earl or Preston standing in any soup lines and if their financial situations are comparatively dire, they can certainly land jobs elsewhere. There are intangible perks to coaching at Penn State, including more W-L patience from the athletic director if you’re doing other things the right way, but at some point those perks don’t compensate for a much better dollar offer from another school.

Penn State has enjoyed one of the more stable head coaching rosters in major college sports, so the total package, tangible and intangible, must not be too bad. We lost a very good swimming coach a couple years ago to Ohio State, not so much because of a better salary, but because he tired of waiting for a Natatorium upgrade.

I’m guessing that DeChellis and his assistants got a bonus check for making the Tourney last month. I agree with those who hold that if DeChellis and crew want markedly better compensation, they need to deliver more consistent success.

I agree that the premise of the article is off base and just a typical beat writer try to stir up controversy by inventing crazy conspiracy theories, but what do you expect from Sports Journalim now-a-days but shock value reporting. To try to equate one coach leaving to take a head coaching job and another coach possibly leaving to jump from a #3 spot up to a #2 spot with his BROTHER (and isn’t Danny Earl from Jersey so it is practically going home as well) is no story and no sign of rats jumping off a sinking ship.

[quote author=Craftsy21 link=topic=2394.msg57671#msg57671 date=1303402321]

.... ...

Then I guess Coach Cal at Kentucky should be throwing money at all his 1 and done’s from the past 10 years, since they’re the reason he has had so much success.

I mean what does this even mean? You don’t get to pick and choose who gets credit and when.

You mean he hasn’t been? ;D :o ;D

[quote="tundra, post:9, topic:2336"]STOP IT WITH the money!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don’t think we need to pass the collection plate for our coaches!![/quote]

I had asked these questions in another thread, but I guess it’s appropriate here as well…

Nationally, what other coaches have more tenure at a single school than DeChellis does at Penn State?
When you get those names, look at the resume of those coaches compared to DeChellis.

Where does DeChellis rank in tenure among other BIG TEN coaches?
Again, compare their resumes to DeChellis’s. How does it look?