PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Jones game story

Jones on Temple-Penn State

[i]The smartest thing the Owls did all day was not give Talor Battle another chance[/i].

Jones nails it, again.

[quote=“David Jones”]If it had to end, this was the best way. And pretty much the only way Temple could do it. They had to plunge a sword through the heart of the littlest Lion with the biggest ticker of all.

The smartest thing the Owls did all day was not give Talor Battle another chance.[/quote]
Perfectly stated.

Well done David.

Thats y I would have fouled for the shot.

Say what???

[quote="4jerome, post:5, topic:2204"]Thats y I would have fouled for the shot.[/quote]

Say what???

Foul and put TU on the line with time left for Talor to do his thing.

[quote="4jerome, post:5, topic:2204"]Thats y I would have fouled for the shot.[/quote]

Say what???

Its an interesting idea.

That would have been among the all time ballsiest (ballsiest?) calls to intentionally give a team chance at 2 points and a win, just to give your guy a chance to win it afterward.

Say what???

Had to foul the shooter because I believe TU wasn’t in the bonus yet. Fouling the shooter wouldn’t have left enough time for us to get a decent shot.

I am pretty sure they were in the bonus. Temple still had a foul to give but PSU did not.

TU was in the bonus. We had just fouled Fernandez bringing the ball up the floor and he hit both of his shots. I still don’t get why we foulded him. Fouling him didn’t make sense. maybe someone elso on the floor who was a bad FT shooter, but not Fernandez who I think is an 80% guy.

14 seconds when TU inbounded the ball. That’s plenty of time to foul someone a few times and give yourself 5-10 with the ball. If I were playing NBA Jam I’d def do it. I’m not sure I’d have to cojones to do it in real life, but I love the idea.

Had to foul the shooter because I believe TU wasn't in the bonus yet. Fouling the shooter wouldn't have left enough time for us to get a decent shot.

14 seconds when TU inbounded the ball. That’s plenty of time to foul someone a few times and give yourself 5-10 with the ball. If I were playing NBA Jam I’d def do it. I’m not sure I’d have to cojones to do it in real life, but I love the idea.

The thought did cross my mind at the time to perhaps make something happen there (not foul but maybe trap or something and force Temple into something they don’t want to do like take a quicker shot, small chance of a turnover) rather than hope they miss the last shot go OT.
Would I have the balls to do that in an actual game, let alone an NCAA game? Nope.

Had to foul the shooter because I believe TU wasn't in the bonus yet. Fouling the shooter wouldn't have left enough time for us to get a decent shot.

Not a bad idea. I just had this gut feeling that shot was going to drop and of course it did. I’ve seen way to many lucky shots/halftime/game changing shots hit against us to think any diff. One of these days the ball we’ll bounce our way. On a side note the play that killed us was the O rebound and putback by Allen. If that didn’t happen I think we would have won

They were in the bonus. Juan had just made both ends a few seconds earlier. The way he was playing, I told JohnT there was a 100 percent chance he would make both.

I wouldn’t have fouled anyone. I was glad Talor got open in the previous possession, and that was from 28 feet away.

The fouling deal would have been stealing from the Packers plan in the Superbowl against the Broncos (which they lost). They intentionally let Terrell Davis score on first down to give Favre time to drive the team down the field and win. I know it’s different with the field goal being in play and all, but still, there is precedent.

[quote="4jerome, post:5, topic:2204"]Thats y I would have fouled for the shot.[/quote] Say what??????
Several European teams used to employ late-game strategies somewhat similar to this - if they were up 2, they would foul just so the other team couldn't get a 3pt off. Quite honestly, if PSU intentionally fouled Temple in a tie-game, our coach would become the laughingstock of college basketball. We lost because Juan just made a clutch shot after Timmy cut off his penetration - and I'm fine with that.

On a side note the play that killed us was the O rebound and putback by Allen. If that didn’t happen I think we would have won

I agree 100%. He literally just took the rebound right over Jones. In regards to fouling with 14 seconds left, I gotta go strongly against it. Let me ask this question…in the game of basketball, do guys shoot better from the line or the field, in regards to percentages? You put a guy on the line, where more than likely he makes at least one, instead of playing the percentages and making them hit a shot, just so you get the chance for a last second shot going the length of the floor to win it? PSU did it right. Only thing maybe different would have been to throw in a soft full court zone press to slow them down and then pick up man at halfcourt.

OR one of the dumbest moves by a D-1 coach EVER in the NCAA’s