Jones calls out PSU AD for lack basketball success

David Jones on Jed Donahue’s radio called out Curley for the lack success of Basketball program.
Did anyone listen to the show? I am wondering if Mr. Jones will be writing a column on this soon?

[quote=“PSUdraw, post:1, topic:864”]David Jones on Jed Donahue’s radio called out Curley for the lack success of Basketball program.
Did anyone listen to the show? I am wondering if Mr. Jones will be writing a column on this soon? [/quote]

He took PSU to task for hiring DeChellis instead of Dunphy. The farther we get from 2003, that decision just seems even more inexcusable

[quote="PSUdraw, post:1, topic:864"]David Jones on Jed Donahue's radio called out Curley for the lack success of Basketball program. Did anyone listen to the show? I am wondering if Mr. Jones will be writing a column on this soon?[/quote]

He took PSU to task for hiring DeChellis instead of Dunphy. The farther we get from 2003, that decision just seems even more inexcusable

It’s impossible to really say I guess, but I just don’t believe Dunphy would be doing that much better up here than Ed is. He’s made a nice living coaching in Philly all these years, but I’m just not sure his success would’ve translated up here any better than what Ed has done for us. Maybe, but I doubt it.

[quote="PSUdraw, post:1, topic:864"]David Jones on Jed Donahue's radio called out Curley for the lack success of Basketball program. Did anyone listen to the show? I am wondering if Mr. Jones will be writing a column on this soon?[/quote]

It’s impossible to really say I guess, but I just don’t believe Dunphy would be doing that much better up here than Ed is. He’s made a nice living coaching in Philly all these years, but I’m just not sure his success would’ve translated up here any better than what Ed has done for us. Maybe, but I doubt it.

I thought Dunphy made a mistake when he took the Temple job and I thought he was going to fail. But he has proven me wrong. I certainly think he would have done a better job than Ed simply because at the time of the hire he had a more impressive resume than Ed.

You might be correct, and without spitting out the horrible stats again, it actually would be difficult to be much less successful than Ed over a 7 year time frame.

You might be correct, and without spitting out the horrible stats again, it actually would be difficult to be much less successful than Ed over a 7 year time frame.

It can’t be a black and white issue though - Ed inherited a bad program at what winds up being maybe one of the worst moments in it’s history of awfulness.

Dunphy moves schools in the same city where he has recruiting pipelines, takes over a historically important program in a basketball town where those pipelines exist, and doesn’t have nearly as far to climb to bring them back.

I still don’t think there’s more than 10 coaches in the country that would be doing a better job than Ed right now in terms of recruiting at PSU, and we probably couldn’t afford or steal away any of them. As far as X’s and O’s, well that’s another story.

I think the empirical evidence suggests that he probably would have. He won like 10 league titles at Penn, and is winning at Temple, and is a better coach than Ed.

It can’t be a black and white issue though - Ed inherited a bad program at what winds up being maybe one of the worst moments in it’s history of awfulness.

Dunphy moves schools in the same city where he has recruiting pipelines, takes over a historically important program in a basketball town where those pipelines exist, and doesn’t have nearly as far to climb to bring them back.

I still don’t think there’s more than 10 coaches in the country that would be doing a better job than Ed right now in terms of recruiting at PSU, and we probably couldn’t afford or steal away any of them. As far as X’s and O’s, well that’s another story.

This is an absurd statement. So you are saying that PSU could not find ten available coaches who could recruit better at PSU? Cut me a f’in break.

This is an absurd statement. So you are saying that PSU could not find ten available coaches who could recruit better at PSU? Cut me a f’in break.

Where exactly are you seeing these types of turnarounds happen? You take a team with no basketball history that sits at the bottom of a major league every single year and don’t get a top 10 coach and what happens? They generally stay put.

You and others make it seem like anybody is going to be an improvement, but it’s just not true. We’re getting decent talent in here right now, talent that gives us the potential to finish in the middle of the conference instead of the bottom. That has to be the goal for now, because we’re not going to get a top 10 coach to propel us to the top of the conference talent-wise.

But really - I’d like to hear all these examples of programs similar to ours that are making these significant, prolonged turnarounds due to a simple coaching change… I’ll wait…

Where exactly are you seeing these types of turnarounds happen? You take a team with no basketball history that sits at the bottom of a major league every single year and don’t get a top 10 coach and what happens? They generally stay put.

You and others make it seem like anybody is going to be an improvement, but it’s just not true. We’re getting decent talent in here right now, talent that gives us the potential to finish in the middle of the conference instead of the bottom. That has to be the goal for now, because we’re not going to get a top 10 coach to propel us to the top of the conference talent-wise.

But really - I’d like to hear all these examples of programs similar to ours that are making these significant, prolonged turnarounds due to a simple coaching change… I’ll wait…

If you look at ED’s record, it’s almost impossible for anyone to worse. ED is an historically incompetent coach. Just look at his record. Almost anyone will be an improvement.

You act like winning 30% of your games in-conference at PSU is impossible. I’m not asking that the next coach make us a power, I’m just asking that the next coach doesn’t make us suck and go 0-12 to start his sixth season.

Any coaching change will likely improve our record and make us a better program, whether or not it turns us around is another issue.

Also, you need to modify your original post about the top coaches - its unclear. clearly we aren’t going to get a top 10 coach. however, i do think its absurd that we couldn’t find at least 50 coaches who would be doing a better job than ED.

MAn, I am so damn sick of your excuses.

If you look at ED's record, it's almost impossible for anyone to worse. ED is an historically incompetent coach. Just look at his record. Almost anyone will be an improvement.

Right. This is why all coaching changes improve other schools.

You act like winning 30% of your games in-conference at PSU is impossible. I'm not asking that the next coach make us a power, I'm just asking that the next coach doesn't make us suck and go 0-12 to start his sixth season.

You’d really be happy with 30%? LOL. I’m thinking even if we got to that number this year you’d still call it a failure, you’re a man who’s made up his mind and won’t let rational thought get in your way.

MAn, I am so damn sick of your excuses.

So ignore me. I say nothing outrageous here, I simply try to be the voice of reason on a board mostly full of raging fanatics. I know it’s hard to understand, but PSU basketball won’t be successful the way other programs are for whatever reason. If you watch our team play the rest of this league and don’t think we have the type of players necessary to win a respectable amount of games, you just aren’t seeing the game like most other people. We have decent talent here, I think recruiting should be the least of the worries about Ed’s abilities.

Any coaching change will likely improve our record and make us a better program, whether or not it turns us around is another issue.

And you base this on what? It’s just not that simple.

Also, you need to modify your original post about the top coaches - its unclear. clearly we aren't going to get a top 10 coach. however, i do think its absurd that we couldn't find at least 50 coaches who would be doing a better job than ED.

I don’t need to do anything. There aren’t 10 coaches we could bring in that would do a better job recruiting.

Right. This is why all coaching changes improve other schools.

You’d really be happy with 30%? LOL. I’m thinking even if we got to that number this year you’d still call it a failure, you’re a man who’s made up his mind and won’t let rational thought get in your way.

So ignore me. I say nothing outrageous here, I simply try to be the voice of reason on a board mostly full of raging fanatics. I know it’s hard to understand, but PSU basketball won’t be successful the way other programs are for whatever reason. If you watch our team play the rest of this league and don’t think we have the type of players necessary to win a respectable amount of games, you just aren’t seeing the game like most other people. We have decent talent here, I think recruiting should be the least of the worries about Ed’s abilities.

And you base this on what? It’s just not that simple.[/quote]

First off, quit being a smart-ass with your holier than thou attitude. as if your negative attitude is the only reality of PSU basketball. come on, get over yourself.

1. you can’t compare PSU’s situation to other coaching change situations; we are at rock-bottom record-wise. its almost impossible to go down record-wise

2. No, i’m not happy with 30%, but that would be a big improvement under Ed. realistically, I’d like 50%.

3. Disagree on the talent - we don’t have the talent necessary to win in the big-ten. we are 1-12 for a reason.

4. I base it on ED’s record being absymal - will the next coach really only win 20% of his game.

Get off your high horse…

I don’t need to do anything. There aren’t 10 coaches we could bring in that would do a better job recruiting. [/quote]

Wow. That’s absurdly pessimistic.

[quote=“Craftsy21, post:9, topic:864”]You and others make it seem like anybody is going to be an improvement, but it’s just not true. We’re getting decent talent in here right now, talent that gives us the potential to finish in the middle of the conference instead of the bottom. That has to be the goal for now, because we’re not going to get a top 10 coach to propel us to the top of the conference talent-wise.

But really - I’d like to hear all these examples of programs similar to ours that are making these significant, prolonged turnarounds due to a simple coaching change… I’ll wait…[/quote]

Virginia Tech might meet those criteria.

I heard Jones’ comments. He also said that PSU has no clue in football. They’ve just been lucky to have a great staff for so long. HUH? They must know something about football up there – they certainly understand the advantage of keeping together a successful staff. You don’t get where PSU is in football by accident.

I like Jones. I think he is a fantastic writer. But sometimes he makes comments like this that leave me scratching my head wondering what he thinks PSU should do differently. In his defense, he was in a train station, or leaving a train station and was walking and talking. It was a very candid conversation. So maybe he said something that he didn’t mean exactly how it came across.

I would never say Penn State has no clue in football. How would that make any sense? What I said was, the athletic ADMINISTRATION has not had to perform any maintenance on the football program for 44 years. That Joe has done all the work for them, kept basically the same coaching staff together for 15 years and that it’s a tremendous staff and that’s why the program is a success. It has nothing to with the administration.

I added that there has been exactly one revenue-sport coaching change made by Curley in his entire tenure and that he and everybody else up there had no clue what to do about it. They don’t know the game of basketball. To such a laughable degree that they had Tim Floyd(!) in there and gave him the grand tour in 2003. If they knew anything about the game, they’d have known who the guy was and what he does. Tens of thousands of fans could have told them Floyd was an absurd choice to even consider for a place like Penn State.

Considering what Penn State is and what it’s willing to pay for a coach, I thought Ed was as good a choice as any in 2003. He loved the school, his players had always loved him at East Tennessee. I was on-board for the decision even though at the time I would’ve gone hot after Phil Martelli and before that after Jay Wright (when Jerry was floundering in 2000 and Jay was at Hofstra and WOULD have taken the job). But the point I made on the radio was that doing nothing in 2000 and then going with someone they knew in 2003 were Curley’s default positions – because no one up there knows anything about basketball, or cares. Football earns $50M a year in profits; basketball makes $3M. They’re businessmen. It’s that simple.

Okay it is possible I heard you wrong. If that is the case I apologize for misquoting you. It doesn’t make sense. That’s why I called you out here knowing you might read and respond. Thanks for clarifying.

It’s also possible I didn’t express myself clearly. That has happened. :wink:

[quote=“djones, post:17, topic:864”]I would never say Penn State has no clue in football. How would that make any sense? What I said was, the athletic ADMINISTRATION has not had to perform any maintenance on the football program for 44 years. That Joe has done all the work for them, kept basically the same coaching staff together for 15 years and that it’s a tremendous staff and that’s why the program is a success. It has nothing to with the administration.

I added that there has been exactly one revenue-sport coaching change made by Curley in his entire tenure and that he and everybody else up there had no clue what to do about it. They don’t know the game of basketball. To such a laughable degree that they had Tim Floyd(!) in there and gave him the grand tour in 2003. If they knew anything about the game, they’d have known who the guy was and what he does. Tens of thousands of fans could have told them Floyd was an absurd choice to even consider for a place like Penn State.

Considering what Penn State is and what it’s willing to pay for a coach, I thought Ed was as good a choice as any in 2003. He loved the school, his players had always loved him at East Tennessee. I was on-board for the decision even though at the time I would’ve gone hot after Phil Martelli and before that after Jay Wright (when Jerry was floundering in 2000 and Jay was at Hofstra and WOULD have taken the job). But the point I made on the radio was that doing nothing in 2000 and then going with someone they knew in 2003 were Curley’s default positions – because no one up there knows anything about basketball, or cares. Football earns $50M a year in profits; basketball makes $3M. They’re businessmen. It’s that simple.[/quote]

I have been saying this for years. This is something all the flamers calling for Paterno and DeChellis to be fired to think about. If the administration, namely Spanier, have their way and try to create their own little legacy by morphing the program into something they think will work, then we better all stand by to watch the programs go into decline, something that none of us will be proud of.