PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Jon Graham

Really liking the late season progress I’m seeing from him. One point shy of a double-double yesterday coming off of a 10 and 6 performance on Thursday. He’s also beginning to emerge as a shot-blocker, picking up two of those in his past two outings as well. He definitely has a Big-10 ready body as well.

With Brandon Taylor coming in next season, I think we may have the four spot locked down if this can continue. I’m starting to get excited for next season already.

I hope he can finish the season strong and carry it over into next year.

We all thought Andrew Jones had turned the corner to end the NIT championship season, but that ended up being just a blip.

I think these are two completely different situations. We’re not expecting Jon to be Jamelle Cornley. Plus, Andrew was a RS sophomore with 2 full seasons under his belt.

great hustle and has been making the bunnies as of late. would still like to see him develop some type of a back to the basket game.

Jon is progressing nicely!

I really liked seeing him make two baskets with his left hand. I really think that the game is starting to slow down for him. I think he’s going to be a solid B1G player for us for the next 3 years.

He seems to have a nice jump hook with either hand. Just needs a few to drop. He’ll get there.

[quote="TreysWay3, post:4, topic:3101"]great hustle and has been making the bunnies as of late. would still like to see him develop some type of a back to the basket game.[/quote]

He seems to have a nice jump hook with either hand. Just needs a few to drop. He’ll get there.

I sure hope so. Between him and Sasa we need one of them to continue to get better and give the team quality production down low.

We all thought Andrew Jones had turned the corner to end the NIT championship season, but that ended up being just a blip.

I think these are two completely different situations. We’re not expecting Jon to be Jamelle Cornley. Plus, Andrew was a RS sophomore with 2 full seasons under his belt.

Jon doesn’t seem afraid to shoot. And the offense actually looks to pass the ball inside now. Hopefully, that translates into better production. I think the biggest improvement has been not taking as many cheap fouls though. It’s easier to get points and rebounds when you are on the court and not in foul trouble.

His footwork is still mechanical, though. He got away with a few shuffles yesterday, but I also like how he’s setting great ball screens for Tim. I wish we had better spacing sometimes, so he get rewarded from Tim for it more often.

Mechanical is how I’d describe his entire game. He knows what he’s supposed to do, he probably nails it in practice, just during games he sometimes tries to hard to go through a mental checklist each time he touches the ball instead of just doing it, which he’s shown in the past two games he can do.

;D

I think the Graham - A. Jones comparsion is very good. I believe Jones is at least an inch taller (maybe two.) Both don’t seem to be naturals BUT both work very hard. Jones improved each season. Graham seems to be doing the same.

P.S. Jones is a pro player today!

[quote=“tundra, post:13, topic:3101”]I think the Graham - A. Jones comparsion is very good. I believe Jones is at least an inch taller (maybe two.) Both don’t seem to be naturals BUT both work very hard. Jones improved each season. Graham seems to be doing the same.

P.S. Jones is a pro player today! [/quote]

But Jones never was able to capitalize on his success to end the NIT season (10ppg, 8 rpg his last 5 games, then 6 ppg, a hair over 5 rpg his next two seasons). That’s why I want to see a lot more out of Graham, because they are such similar players (not natural basketball players, but very hard working) before I declare victory.

I think the best thing that PC has been doing with these young players is he’s letting them play through their mistakes and not looking to pull them to the bench and burying them on that bench as soon as they screw up.

That has helped in the development of a player like Graham.

For one, PC doesn’t have a deep bench of post players, so he has to run with Graham…but still it is a great thing to see a player like Graham being able to improve upon his mistakes by actually playing through them.

With that said, I haven’t seen too much that I don’t like about Graham’s game lately. All he’s missing is the number of touches, which seem to be gaining in number with each passing game. Love the over-the-top pass that Timmy gave Jon yesterday for the easy bunny. That kind of trust that Timmy has in his burgeoning big man will mean a few double-doubles in Jon’s near future, I feel.

Well we saw how Sasa’s minutes dropped when Graham was effective. I get the impression PC wants Graham to be the guy, it just hasn’t clicked enough yet to allow PC to give Graham the bulk of the minutes.

[quote="NittanyIllini, post:15, topic:3101"]For one, PC doesn't have a deep bench of post players, so he has to run with Graham..[/quote]

Well we saw how Sasa’s minutes dropped when Graham was effective. I get the impression PC wants Graham to be the guy, it just hasn’t clicked enough yet to allow PC to give Graham the bulk of the minutes.

IMO, Graham has been seperating himself. He has made some post moves, particularly to his left that he couldn’t make (successfully) as recently as a few weeks ago.
Here is an exchange from as recently as the 2/8/12 IGT for MSU game.
February 08, 2012, 08:10:38 PM »QuoteModifyRemoveQuote from: crimsoncrusher on February 08, 2012, 08:05:27 PM I have no idea why Graham get more minutes than Sasa...he might be stronger and more physical on the defensive end, but his offensive game needs a lot of polish.
I responded:
Sasa, has as many struggles as Graham. Can't see any advantage of playing one over the other. Wish both were more efficient.

While their minutes per game are exactly the same for the entire season (17.6mpg), John has averaged 24 to Sassa’s 13.5 over the last 4 games. Make that advantage Graham.

I like how Graham has improved. Hope he keeps up the good play and continues this into next season.

I think the Graham - A. Jones comparsion is very good. I believe Jones is at least an inch taller (maybe two.) [b]Both don't seem to be naturals[/b] BUT both work very hard. Jones improved each season. Graham seems to be doing the same.

P.S. Jones is a pro player today!

But Jones never was able to capitalize on his success to end the NIT season (10ppg, 8 rpg his last 5 games, then 6 ppg, a hair over 5 rpg his next two seasons). That’s why I want to see a lot more out of Graham, because they are such similar players (not natural basketball players, but very hard working) before I declare victory.

I don’t understand all this talk about Graham being “not natural”.

He is second generation. His dad was an all time great at Maryland. This is nothing new to him, he has been around it all his life. How can you NOT be “natural” after going up around it?

Stumbled across this picture today. Not sure the year it was taken.

Here’s hoping Jon’s improvement on the court parallels is physical improvement. I think he’s already on his way.