Jon Crispin makes BTN debut on Wednesday

From DJones on PennLive

Kind of disappointed that they picked Crispin.

I heard it came down to Crispin, Cornley, and Glenn Sekunda. Cornley probably would have bailed to go play ball in the NBDL so not picking him makes sense but I’d much rather have seen an actual graduate of PSU get the gig. Crispin bailed on us for the West Coast - let him stay there and do UCLA games on the Pac10 Network (what? you mean there isn’t one? tough luck for him then). Sekunda also lives locally and has a much greater opportunity to interact with the team to pick up tidbits of interest (although Joe Crispin has bought a house in the area so maybe Jon is spending the season crashing at his brother’s).

I agree with your sentiments. Seeing Jon get it is like watching the guy who your girlfriend choose over you succeed.
Jon has done some commercials and perhaps has more experience in front of cameras. Based on the “eye candy babes” (not complaining here) the Big Ten gives the male viewer, I would guess that his good looks were a plus as well. Marketing decision.Samsung Galaxy Tab GT-P7510/M16 Tablet Pc Computers
Descargar Series

JON CRISPIN COKE COMMERCIAL

I had no problem with Jon going to UCLA. It’s the mecca of college basketball and entertainment…My problem with Jon was his behavior on the PSU bench. I was glad he left!

I didn’t have a problem with his leaving either. But I do have a problem with him coming back now that it suits him.

[quote="tundra, post:4, topic:330"]I had no problem with Jon going to UCLA. It's the mecca of college basketball and entertainment.........My problem with Jon was his behavior on the PSU bench. I was glad he left![/quote]

I didn’t have a problem with his leaving either. But I do have a problem with him coming back now that it suits him.

A couple of things.

1. I could have sworn that I read an interview with Jon from a few years ago, perhaps just after he graduated, where he hinted at some regrets about leaving PSU and some mistakes he made. Does that count for anything with you guys?
  2. Whatever he did, should he be blackballed from getting a job? What if this was Chambliss or Ryan Bailey or Greg Stevenson? Would you guys feel the same way?

Lar, I find your attitude particularly surprising. Granted, you are closer to the team than I so maybe something I don’t mnow went down, but the guy is coming back because of a job. What’s the big deal?

[quote="tundra, post:4, topic:330"]I had no problem with Jon going to UCLA. It's the mecca of college basketball and entertainment.........My problem with Jon was his behavior on the PSU bench. I was glad he left![/quote]

A couple of things.

1. I could have sworn that I read an interview with Jon from a few years ago, perhaps just after he graduated, where he hinted at some regrets about leaving PSU and some mistakes he made. Does that count for anything with you guys?
  2. Whatever he did, should he be blackballed from getting a job? What if this was Chambliss or Ryan Bailey or Greg Stevenson? Would you guys feel the same way?

Lar, I find your attitude particularly surprising. Granted, you are closer to the team than I so maybe something I don’t mnow went down, but the guy is coming back because of a job. What’s the big deal?

The BigTen network hires guys with BigTen backgrounds. It is just a little odd that a guy who transferred OUT of a BigTen school would be hired.
But, I have no problem with anyone getting a job. Let’s see how he does. My problem with Jon was his behavior.
I liked Chambliss,Bailey and Stevenson as players. I was sorry to see them go. Bailey went to UCLA, also. Correct? Must be something about those powder blue uniforms. .

A couple of things.

I didn’t say blackball the guy from getting a job but it bothers me to see him exploit his PSU connections only when it suits him. The coke commercial is a perfect example. He deserted the team in difficult times but turned around and embraced them when he got a commercial out of it. He’s doing the same now. He’d never get the job without the PSU connection because the BTN wants to hire guys who played in the Big Ten. If ESPN hired Crispin to do college basketball broadcasts in general, I wouldn’t have a problem with it - but it’s the specific exploitation of the PSU connection to get this job that rubs me wrong.

Chambliss I could live with since he stayed in the Big Ten. If it were Bailey or Stevenson, I’d have the same problem. Why hire the guy who deserted the conference when there are perfectly good choices who didn’t? As I remarked earlier, Glenn Sekunda was one of the finalists (Brian Allen was eliminated because he didn’t play in the Big Ten - Crispin should have been eliminated because he left the Big Ten).

A couple of things.

I didn’t say blackball the guy from getting a job but it bothers me to see him exploit his PSU connections only when it suits him. The coke commercial is a perfect example. He deserted the team in difficult times but turned around and embraced them when he got a commercial out of it. He’s doing the same now. He’d never get the job without the PSU connection because the BTN wants to hire guys who played in the Big Ten. If ESPN hired Crispin to do college basketball broadcasts in general, I wouldn’t have a problem with it - but it’s the specific exploitation of the PSU connection to get this job that rubs me wrong.

Chambliss I could live with since he stayed in the Big Ten. If it were Bailey or Stevenson, I’d have the same problem. Why hire the guy who deserted the conference when there are perfectly good choices who didn’t? As I remarked earlier, Glenn Sekunda was one of the finalists (Brian Allen was eliminated because he didn’t play in the Big Ten - Crispin should have been eliminated because he left the Big Ten).

I had hoped that in 2009 we were past the general unacceptance that was directed at Penn State in the first 5 years of our affiliation. We are a Big ELEVEN school, and have been now for nearly 20 years, so get over it. Lar, you and I graduated from the Penn State prior to the BigTen corination of our school. It is pure crap if BA was eliminated for the fact that Penn State was not yet in the BigTen at the time he played. If it is in any way true our University should be making a BIG stink about it to the Network.

I agree with you 100%.

Brian Allen is an excellent analyst. If the BTN eliminated him because he played prior to Penn State’s affiliation with the Big Ten, that is outrageous and unacceptable.

ULar, getting a job in this world is all about “exploiting” things that give you an advantage over other candidates. I don’t think Jon did anything wrong by interviewing for the job and accepting it when offered. Sounds like you are upset that the BTN picked Jon over Sekunda and you are taking it out on Jon instead of the BTN.

I have a gripe with both of them. Crispin is being disingenuous.

If someone wants to prove me wrong by showing me something that Crispin has done to give back to PSU, I’d be glad to say I was wrong. Is Jon a member of the PSU Alumni Association? Has he ever come back to as a celebrity for Coaches vs Cancer, The Second Mile, etc. Just show me something that indicates he’s done something for PSU or the community that wasn’t self serving.

[quote="GoSpikes, post:11, topic:330"]ULar, getting a job in this world is all about "exploiting" things that give you an advantage over other candidates. I don't think Jon did anything wrong by interviewing for the job and accepting it when offered. Sounds like you are upset that the BTN picked Jon over Sekunda and you are taking it out on Jon instead of the BTN.[/quote]

I have a gripe with both of them. Crispin is being disingenuous.

If someone wants to prove me wrong by showing me something that Crispin has done to give back to PSU, I’d be glad to say I was wrong. Is Jon a member of the PSU Alumni Association? Has he ever come back to as a celebrity for Coaches vs Cancer, The Second Mile, etc. Just show me something that indicates he’s done something for PSU or the community that wasn’t self serving.

Agree with Lar. My sound will be off.

If he comes back for, say, Coaches vs Cancer just to put in appearances and keep his contacts open, isn’t that in itself self-serving? Kind of gets back to the argument we had about THON a while back…

I’d be more upset at Brian Allen not getting a shot if it’s because he’s pre-B10 PSU.

[quote="UncleLar, post:12, topic:330"].... Has he ever come back to as a celebrity for Coaches vs Cancer, The Second Mile, etc. Just show me something that indicates he's done something for PSU or the community that wasn't self serving.[/quote]

If he comes back for, say, Coaches vs Cancer just to put in appearances and keep his contacts open, isn’t that in itself self-serving? Kind of gets back to the argument we had about THON a while back…

I’d be more upset at Brian Allen not getting a shot if it’s because he’s pre-B10 PSU.

If that were the only reason that he was coming back, then certainly, yes. But if he had been coming back and doing something, I might give him the benefit of the doubt. But as I see it now, he’s done nothing for the school or the community since he’s left.

I can understand why the B10 might prefer having just former players do the BTN games. If BA tells stories about the old days and PSU’s big games in the Atlantic 10 against St Bonaventure or Rhode Island, it’s not going to resonate quite the same as telling tales about going up against Cassie Russell or Magic Johnson. The BTN wants to hype its brand and I see nothing particularly wrong with that.

Here’s a quote from the BTN’s VP for Production when they announced their broadcasting lineups last year.

“We couldn’t be more excited about having such a talented lineup for our studio and game coverage. These play-by-play announcers and analysts have a great understanding of the history and tradition of the Big Ten and many of these individuals themselves are a part of that legacy,” said Leon Schweir, Big Ten Network Executive Producer and Vice President for Production.

Where possible they want Big Ten guys doing their games. I may not like it but I can understand it. I just don’t consider Jon Crispin a “Big Ten guy” since he deserted the conference.

Any opinions of Jon after reading this article?

http://pennstate.scout.com/2/923052.html

[quote=“Tom, post:16, topic:330”]Any opinions of Jon after reading this article?

http://pennstate.scout.com/2/923052.html[/quote]

I think he was young and made a mistake on how he handled leaving Penn State. As much as I would have liked to have seen him stay I dont really blame him for the reasons he left, just how he went about it. I hope he’s a good play-by-play guy. I have a hard time really hating on him, that was almost a lifetime ago for a young guy growing up…but maybe thats the kind of guy I am. I’m not one to hold huge grudges unless you go to UM or OSU.lol. The guys I dont like are the ones who leave and never realize the mistake they made in leaving or how they left, he seems to understand where he went wrong, I respect that.

Crispin will be working with Paul Alexander, another PSU guy. I trained Paul at WDFM many years ago.

[quote=“Tom, post:16, topic:330”]Any opinions of Jon after reading this article?

http://pennstate.scout.com/2/923052.html[/quote]

This still bothers me ““It’s funny, but I still have a little bit of an ego left, even after all of the things that humbled me in life”.

As far as wearing his PSU gear at the Rose Bowl, that shows me nothing. Do you really expect a UCLA grad to root for USC?

I still prefer Sekunda. Glenn transferred TO Penn State. Glenn has made State College his permanent home. Glenn regularly participates in Coaches vs Cancer and other local charity events. Glenn sponsors and coaches a kids team in a local basketball league. His PSU connections are unimpeachable. Jon’s not so.

I really have no want to see Jon back. I can’t believe that for how much Joe was PSU, Jon was a quitter when the going got tough and he admitted to it in the article.