John Egli ruined PSU basketball

He inherited a Final Four team in 1955 and PSU hasn’t been there since! Why was he allowed to lead this program for 14 years? Outrageous. >:(

It still doesn’t change the fact that ED is the worst coach in major college basketball.

good question. and after still not returning 48 years later, why hire a mediocre coach from a crappy university?

He inherited a Final Four team in 1955 and PSU hasn't been there since! Why was he allowed to lead this program for 14 years? Outrageous. >:(

good question. and after still not returning 48 years later, why hire a mediocre coach from a crappy university?

I think you are a bit generous on your assessment of the coach and a bit harsh on your assessment of the university.

This thread is hilarious.

[quote="pmhewitt, post:1, topic:808"]He inherited a Final Four team in 1955 and PSU hasn't been there since! Why was he allowed to lead this program for 14 years? Outrageous. >:([/quote]

I think you are a bit generous on your assessment of the coach and a bit harsh on your assessment of the university.

I’ll stand by my assessment of both - I think Ed average as a coach and I think he needs to clean house of assistants if he is retained next season. I still think he is better than some other big ten coaches. I don’t think he was the most qualified applicant in 2003, but that isn’t his fault - My unhappiness with the program is directed at Curley’s seemingly ill timed and bad decisions. I think ETSU is a lousy school

[quote="pmhewitt, post:1, topic:808"]He inherited a Final Four team in 1955 and PSU hasn't been there since! Why was he allowed to lead this program for 14 years? Outrageous. >:([/quote]

I’ll stand by my assessment of both - I think Ed average as a coach and I think he needs to clean house of assistants if he is retained next season. I still think he is better than some other big ten coaches. I don’t think he was the most qualified applicant in 2003, but that isn’t his fault - My unhappiness with the program is directed at Curley’s seemingly ill timed and bad decisions. I think ETSU is a lousy school

I’ll stand by my assessment that your original assessment was a little off. There are 347 Division 1 teams. If we generously call the middle 116 mediocre, I demand you show me 116 coaches Ed is better than. And please provide the stats that show me ETSU is a lousy school.

I’ll stand by my assessment that your original assessment was a little off. There are 347 Division 1 teams. If we generously call the middle 116 mediocre, I demand you show me 116 coaches Ed is better than. And please provide the stats that show me ETSU is a lousy school.

Find me 10 coaches. And ETSU is a tier 4 school, so yes, its lousy.

Hee needs to do better than 10 to show me Ed is mediocre.
As for ETSU being a tier 4 school, what is that, the US News ratings? Don’t you know that the editor AND publisher of that magazine went to WTSU? Talk about bias. ::slight_smile:

I agree with psu_DC. I think if Ed is retained that one or more of his assistants should not be back. Maybe they can find a guy who is considered a good in-game coach to help. It would just be hard for me to swallow if everyone keeps their job after a season like this.

hey, he wrote the book baby

You guys are killing me!!!

I agree…if retained assistant coach clean house should be in order. It’s not ED fault he got the job. We need to hire a top-level asst and make him the coach in waiting. ;D

All blame should be placed on Curley. He’s an empty suit. Football generates a ton of money so he’s not compelled/forced create a successful hoop program.

I think it would be a travesty if Ed kept his job and the assistants were run off. Last time I checked Ed was the head coach. He hired the assistants. He’s had a few assistants come and go and yet the results have been almost uniformly poor. While Danny Earl may not be the answer, he certainly isn’t the problem!

[quote="bballguy, post:10, topic:808"]I agree with psu_DC. I think if Ed is retained that one or more of his assistants should not be back. Maybe they can find a guy who is considered a good in-game coach to help. It would just be hard for me to swallow if everyone keeps their job after a season like this.[/quote]

I think it would be a travesty if Ed kept his job and the assistants were run off. Last time I checked Ed was the head coach. He hired the assistants. He’s had a few assistants come and go and yet the results have been almost uniformly poor. While Danny Earl may not be the answer, he certainly isn’t the problem!

I agree but I think getting rid of the asst’s would be Curley’s way of “doing something” while covering for ED. Plus, it would covering him from looking like a fool after re-upping ED for 3 more years. Think about it…if ED is not retained TC likes like a fool for re-upping him.

[quote="bballguy, post:10, topic:808"]I agree with psu_DC. I think if Ed is retained that one or more of his assistants should not be back. Maybe they can find a guy who is considered a good in-game coach to help. It would just be hard for me to swallow if everyone keeps their job after a season like this.[/quote]

I agree but I think getting rid of the asst’s would be Curley’s way of “doing something” while covering for ED. Plus, it would covering him from looking like a fool after re-upping ED for 3 more years. Think about it…if ED is not retained TC likes like a fool for re-upping him.

Would it be the first time?

As for ETSU being a tier 4 school, what is that, the US News ratings? Don’t you know that the editor AND publisher of that magazine went to WTSU? Talk about bias. ::slight_smile:

Show me any evidence that East Tennessee State is anything but a lousy commuter school in podunk Johnson City, Tennessee.

As for Ed being mediocre, I’ll use the Pomeroy ratings (only because I can’t find a good site of historic RPI standings). He’s finished inside the top 100 just once since he arrived. http://kenpom.com/rate.php?y=2010

PSU RPI Ratings:

2004: 189
2005: 227
2006: 106
2007: 199
2008: 157
2009: 70
2010: 224

Show me any evidence that East Tennessee State is anything but a lousy commuter school in podunk Johnson City, Tennessee.

As for Ed being mediocre, I’ll use the Pomeroy ratings (only because I can’t find a good site of historic RPI standings). He’s finished inside the top 100 just once since he arrived. http://kenpom.com/rate.php?y=2010

Atlee Hammaker. Enough said.

As for Ed, personally I feel as though a mediocre coach would have more to show for 7 years and be better than 0-11 in that 7th year in the Big Ten.

But can we get back on topic and talk about the real glory days of PSU hoops? I hate when topics get hijacked.

As for Ed, personally I feel as though a mediocre coach would have more to show for 7 years and be better than 0-11 in that 7th year in the Big Ten.

But can we get back on topic and talk about the real glory days of PSU hoops? I hate when topics get hijacked.

remember when we won that NIT title last year and used it as a springboard into this season…oh, wait a sec…

remember when we won that NIT title last year and used it as a springboard into this season…oh, wait a sec…

That’s what PSU hoops has been for years now. The stars allign and we get a few good players together and achieve a small measure of success and then its back to square one. At least Jerry was able to turn his alignment of stars into a NCAA bid (and a Sweet 16 to boot). This is Jerry Dunn lite.