PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

JoePa Injured Again(OT)

Yeah, look how well running Lloyd Carr (and his 5 Big Ten Championships in 13 years) out of town worked for Michigan. That was a popular move when it happened too.

Then don’t get season tickets.

Free country.

Paterno and “when should he retire” certainly brings out a lot of emotions among even the best of friends. And while you don’t post here often, I know your passion for football through the fantasy football league. So while we might disagree, I will respect your views on this subject.

True, that I am not around the team as much as some, living in Atlanta and not being a season ticket holder like yourself. But I also have a unique perspective in having worked for the SID while at PSU and getting to “know” Joe and more so his family.

And living in the South all my adult life, I’ve gotten the 365-day-a-year college football craze to deal with. Having Coach Paterno on my side has made me a lot of friends in a lot of interesting places. You go into any backwoods locale in the South and mention the two simple words “Penn State” and each and every redneck has something good to say about Joe Paterno. It’s kind of scary actually, but it speaks to the power that this man still holds over a program he has built into one of the most respected college sports outfits in the land.

When he decides to hang it up, while many Penn State fans will rejoice because their team will now “win more games” or “win more titles”, most people in the college football world, including yours truly, will shed a tear for a man who means so much more than any game or championship season ever did.

Part of the problem is that the great majority University’s top donors consider themselves personal friends of JoePa and will support his desire to continue coaching as long as Joe wants.

[quote="beastofeast, post:20, topic:2589"]I am thinking that many of the people that want Joe to stay as long as he wants do not have season tickets.[/quote]

Part of the problem is that the great majority University’s top donors consider themselves personal friends of JoePa and will support his desire to continue coaching as long as Joe wants.

I don’t see that as a problem.

[quote="beastofeast, post:20, topic:2589"]There is a poll on the FOS premium board about when Joe should announce his retirement. A whopping 27% say that Joe should be able to stay as long as he wants. I am hardly alone in thinking that he should step down. I spend a nice chunk of money on PSU football every year. I cringe at the thought of 5 more years of Joe and his staff. I am thinking that many of the people that want Joe to stay as long as he wants do not have season tickets.[/quote]

Paterno and “when should he retire” certainly brings out a lot of emotions among even the best of friends. And while you don’t post here often, I know your passion for football through the fantasy football league. So while we might disagree, I will respect your views on this subject.

True, that I am not around the team as much as some, living in Atlanta and not being a season ticket holder like yourself. But I also have a unique perspective in having worked for the SID while at PSU and getting to “know” Joe and more so his family.

And living in the South all my adult life, I’ve gotten the 365-day-a-year college football craze to deal with. Having Coach Paterno on my side has made me a lot of friends in a lot of interesting places. You go into any backwoods locale in the South and mention the two simple words “Penn State” and each and every redneck has something good to say about Joe Paterno. It’s kind of scary actually, but it speaks to the power that this man still holds over a program he has built into one of the most respected college sports outfits in the land.

When he decides to hang it up, while many Penn State fans will rejoice because their team will now “win more games” or “win more titles”, most people in the college football world, including yours truly, will shed a tear for a man who means so much more than any game or championship season ever did.

Joe has been the coach every year of my life – I’m 45. When he does step down, it will truly be the end of something great.

On another note, since Chuck Noll took over the Steelers, when I was three years old, I’ve only ever known 4 head coaches for the two teams I follow – Paterno, Noll, Cowher and Tomlin. And they are two of the winningest teams of my lifetime. Coincidence? Or smart programs? Or just lucky?

[quote="beastofeast, post:20, topic:2589"]I am thinking that many of the people that want Joe to stay as long as he wants do not have season tickets.[/quote]

I don’t think that’s the case anymore. Otherwise STEP wouldn’t have happened.

[quote="beastofeast, post:20, topic:2589"]There is a poll on the FOS premium board about when Joe should announce his retirement. A whopping 27% say that Joe should be able to stay as long as he wants. I am hardly alone in thinking that he should step down. I spend a nice chunk of money on PSU football every year. I cringe at the thought of 5 more years of Joe and his staff. I am thinking that many of the people that want Joe to stay as long as he wants do not have season tickets.[/quote]

Joe has been the coach every year of my life – I’m 45. When he does step down, it will truly be the end of something great.

On another note, since Chuck Noll took over the Steelers, when I was three years old, I’ve only ever known 4 head coaches for the two teams I follow – Paterno, Noll, Cowher and Tomlin. And they are two of the winningest teams of my lifetime. Coincidence? Or smart programs? Or just lucky?

I’ve said before that I think it’s a Pennsylvania thing. We may not see it ourselves, but there is a loyalty or community feel to it.

On a side note, I believe Andy Reid of the Eagles is the current longest tenured coach in the NFL, and ed may have been the 2nd or 3rd most senior coach in the BT when he departed (behind Izzo and Ryan?).

Joe, is the greatest college football coach/teacher ever. He is Mr. Penn State. I don’t have a problem with Joe still coaching. But, I, like many fear the transition when Joe does retire. I believe Joe wants a say in who replaces him.(He could have picked his successor years ago BUT not now.) Plus I believe Joe wants to "take care of " several asst coaches and have them retain their jobs. (Could be a big problem with a new hire HC.) Then there is the Jay situation. (In my new “being nice” mode - I will stop here.)

The transition will/would have been a problem whenever it happens. Legends don’t get replaced. Their record will seem to be better than it was, their successor’s worse than it is.

I do as well, tundra. But not from Joe’s side, I fear it from Spanier.

Some of the best characteristics of Penn State football is clean and loyal. Loyalty needs to go both ways. I think the next head coach SHOULD come from our current coaching staff. If you hire the flavor of the month, our current staff is gone, and you are left with a very unknown quantity. I don’t want a revolving door at HC like many schools now have (ND, Mich). I don’t want the sleeze to work it’s way in (USC, OSU, SEC).

Hire the best person available for the job. Don’t hire from within for fear of change.

[quote=“tjb, post:16, topic:2589”]Guy’s got more wins than anyone and has set a standard that is the envy of college presidents everywhere. And we want more (and feel we deserve it).

What a world![/quote]

If by “standard” you mean run a program that hasn’t competed for a national title in 25 years yet still sells out every game and brings in piles of cash, then yeah I’m sure many would be very happy with that.

Sells out every game?

PSU hasn’t sold out every game in several years. In fact they’ve sold out only 1-2 games per year the last several years.

My mistake. Let’s just say attendance is very healthy relative to on-field performance. Should have known somebody would nitpick that.

[quote="tjb, post:16, topic:2589"]Guy's got more wins than anyone and has set a standard that is the envy of college presidents everywhere. And we want more (and feel we deserve it).

What a world![/quote]

If by “standard” you mean run a program that hasn’t competed for a national title in 25 years yet still sells out every game and brings in piles of cash, then yeah I’m sure many would be very happy with that.

I don’t really understand how you would have given ED countless years to improve the program incrementally but think that Paterno should be gone because it has been 25 years since a national title. If you base everything on National titles you are going to be a very disappointed for a long time.

The Giants just won their first world series since 1954. I won’t even mention the Cubs or other teams.

[quote="tjb, post:16, topic:2589"]Guy's got more wins than anyone and has set a standard that is the envy of college presidents everywhere. And we want more (and feel we deserve it).

What a world![/quote]

I don’t really understand how you would have given ED countless years to improve the program incrementally but think that Paterno should be gone because it has been 25 years since a national title. If you base everything on National titles you are going to be a very disappointed for a long time.

The Giants just won their first world series since 1954. I won’t even mention the Cubs or other teams.

It’s all relative. The basketball program is at the bottom of the pile, has been my entire life. To get to the top of the heap and do it the right way will require a large chunk of time and a big time commitment to a coaching staff. I felt that while Ed was taking a bit longer than many would have liked, the program was trending up and the level of players we were getting continued getting better. It may have been another 5-8 years before he could have had us consistently in the top 5 of the league, but it felt to me that we were still moving upwards rather than moving back or holding our position.

Compare that with the football program, which at one time used to be one of the most well known names in the sport and has national titles to prove it… since 1994/95, we have done nothing but under-perform against expectations and consistently fall short in big games. That means it’s been since 1987 that we actually achieved what the goal should be for this program.

Now you’ll call me crazy or contradicting for holding Joe to a high standard but not Ed, but Ed was performing near reasonable expectations for 8 years in my view, while Joe has done nothing but fail to meet expectations for the better part of 24 years. I think the real hypocrites would be those giving Joe a pass while demanding more from Ed. But that’s just how one man sees it.

And why shouldn’t we expect national titles? We recruit 5-star players, we play in one of the best leagues in the country, we have one of the largest stadiums in the country, we supposedly have one of the greatest coaches of all time. If we’re not playing to win national titles what the hell is this all for? Hell, we aren’t even capable of winning our own league most years. Shouldn’t that be our goal at the very least? 1 outright title and 2 shared in 17 years in this league. Northwestern matches those numbers in that span of time. Are we supposed to be competing with NW or Ohio State?

I think it’s foolish to hold national championships as your standard of success for Penn State Football. There’s too many variables–and too much flat out luck–involved in winning an FBS national championship. However, I do consider Big Ten titles to be an appropriate standard of success for Penn State teams, and I think most Penn Staters 20 years ago would have been shocked if you had told them that we’d win the Big Ten in football only three times (including two shared titles) in our first two decades of membership. Northwestern has the same number of Big Ten football championships over the same period!

We can be good, but we have no chance to be great, under an octogenarian coach, even if his name is Paterno.

What a world![/quote]

“Competed”… I don’t think 1994 was 25 years ago, and maybe my math is bad but neither is 1999, 2005, or 2008. I would say we were in competition for a MNC in those years. Did we play in the title game? No, but there is nothing Joe can do about that in 1994… he couldn’t have done anything more and was screwed.

By “standard” I’m sure he means the only program to have 0 NCAA infractions since they began being recorded (1954, was it?).

As for your argument that we have two “shared” BTT. Look who they were “shared” with… a cheating, scumbag OSU program… and they still couldn’t beat us those years.

Do I like the current situation that PSU football is in? As a Penn State fan in Nittany Lion country, no. However, the moment you get out of Lion country, talking to other fans and having Joe as a coach makes you proud to be a Penn Stater.

Joe should go out on his own terms, he more than deserves it. You never know what you had until it’s gone. Realize how special these last few years are and cherish them, rather than whine and moan.