PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

JoePa Injured Again(OT)

Fractured shoulder and pelvis. Just a damn shame.

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local- … ce-831340/

How would you like to be the player who injured him? Geez, I’m gonna guess he’s feeling pretty awful right now.

Was Devon Smith (5’7), so it seems like Paterno is lucky it wasn’t one of those tractor trailer linemen. Furthermore, hes lucky hes not coaching a team with much larger linemen.

Various reports on Twitter say it was a hairline fracture and that he’ll be out of the hospital within 24 hours. Sources are Joe Schad and a guy from the ESPN that I can’t remember.

I love the man but when is enough enough.

Hopefully he has quick and full recovery.

[quote=“byake, post:4, topic:2589”]I love the man but when is enough enough.

Hopefully he has quick and full recovery.[/quote]

What youngsters don’t realize is that many/most older people DO NOT FEEL OLD! Especially those who have been athletic/active in their lifetime. I think Joe would fall into this group. Even after he returns I think he will still be right in the middle of practice activities!!

JoePa is my hero and he is a legend but things are getting beyond pathetic. When your coach is the biggest injury risk during practice there is a problem.

Things happen all the time in practice. But if he was as alert as he used to be these things would be avoided. He is going to be crippled if this crap doesn’t stop. He might see a play developing towards him but he can’t move quick enough or respond quick enough to get out of the way. A complete disaster is going to strike if something isn’t done. And imagine being the kid that is part of the disaster. It could tear your life apart. 84 year old men should not be intimately involved in football practices.

I am singing a whole new tune than I was just a short time ago. I am just worried now. Just don’t want one of the greatest things college sports has ever seen turn into a horror story.

Wilbon suggested Joe get in a cart or in a tower - I can see the cart thing working but hope they don’t take PC’s!

[quote=“noobd, post:3, topic:2589”]Was Devon Smith (5’7), so it seems like Paterno is lucky it wasn’t one of those tractor trailer linemen. Furthermore, hes lucky hes not coaching a team with much larger linemen.

Various reports on Twitter say it was a hairline fracture and that he’ll be out of the hospital within 24 hours. Sources are Joe Schad and a guy from the ESPN that I can’t remember.[/quote]

Hairline fractures of the hip for elderly people who have had hip problems isn’t some minor injury though.

[quote=“BeerNitLion, post:6, topic:2589”]JoePa is my hero and he is a legend but things are getting beyond pathetic. When your coach is the biggest injury risk during practice there is a problem.

Things happen all the time in practice. But if he was as alert as he used to be these things would be avoided. He is going to be crippled if this crap doesn’t stop. He might see a play developing towards him but he can’t move quick enough or respond quick enough to get out of the way. A complete disaster is going to strike if something isn’t done. And imagine being the kid that is part of the disaster. It could tear your life apart. 84 year old men should not be intimately involved in football practices.

I am singing a whole new tune than I was just a short time ago. I am just worried now. Just don’t want one of the greatest things college sports has ever seen turn into a horror story.[/quote]

He might be crippled? That’s funny. The kids that are on the field are getting crippled all the time. Maybe we should just cancel football.

And, according to the article, he was blindsided. That does not equal your rendition of " he can’t move quick enough or respond quick enough to get out of the way"

[quote="BeerNitLion, post:6, topic:2589"]JoePa is my hero and he is a legend but things are getting beyond pathetic. When your coach is the biggest injury risk during practice there is a problem.

I am singing a whole new tune than I was just a short time ago. I am just worried now. Just don’t want one of the greatest things college sports has ever seen turn into a horror story.[/quote]

He might be crippled? That’s funny. The kids that are on the field are getting crippled all the time. Maybe we should just cancel football.

And, according to the article, he was blindsided. That does not equal your rendition of " he can’t move quick enough or respond quick enough to get out of the way"

And on the sideline a few years ago? Just another freak accident?

I’m not saying this event was a matter of him being old, but it certainly wouldn’t help. An older guy like him WILL have a harder time getting out of the way, and he will suffer much more serious injuries if something does happen. I tend to agree that he may want to step away from the sidelines if he’s not able to take getting hit or be aware enough to avoid getting hit.

I don’t think you’d want your grandmother or grandfather standing that close to such a violent game, would you? How is this any different at this point? The man is old, it’s becoming a joke to the rest of the country but it’s a serious health issue for him personally and like everything else with him it seems like somebody else is going to have to get in his ear about it.

I’m sorry to hear this about Coach Paterno. I hope he is able to recover to 100%. Like some of you I am starting to wonder who much longer he can this involved with the football program.

Joe used to say that there is more to life than football. Another gem was that he would never just hang on like Bear Bryant. By hanging on the way that he has just shows how full of crap he has been for all these years. To me, his life must be pathetic to cling to the head coach job as long as he has. I am afraid that he will run this program into the ground before he is done with it.

No beast, the issue with Joe has always been that he’s scared of life after coaching because he saw what happened to Bear Bryant. One month after retiring from Alabama he was six feet under.

Should an 84 year old man be out in the middle of the practice field with kids four times younger than he is. It’s his team, he can do what he wants. How many days was he out on that practice field as an octogenarian when nothing happened?..nearly a whole half decade of them. Maybe it was just a freak thing with Devon Smith and he just happened to run into his coach. Just that this coach is a little more brittle than your average college football coach.

My father-in-law is 84 and he works out 2 and a half hours a day. Weights, aerobics and all. It’s freakish actually. He’s still working at his law firm on a regular basis and is in a terrific mental state. He has a tremendous passion for what he does and he still belongs out there doing what he has been doing for 60 years, and so does Joe.

Bear Bryant lived hard. He smoked and loved his bourbon. He probably sensed his demise was near when he stepped down. Maybe Joe should find some courage and walk away. I have lost all respect for the guy years ago. Joe cannot even demonstrate an onside kick without getting hurt. I for one think PSU deserves more than what Paterno is delivering.

Beast:

Looks like you reached into the wrong “ATTITUDE” bracelet bin.

Guy’s got more wins than anyone and has set a standard that is the envy of college presidents everywhere. And we want more (and feel we deserve it).

What a world!

If you “lost all respect” for Paterno, you must be a tough guy to impress. I can accept that you don’t respect him hanging around so long. But to say you lost ALL respect is just nuts.

[quote=“tjb, post:16, topic:2589”]Guy’s got more wins than anyone and has set a standard that is the envy of college presidents everywhere. And we want more (and feel we deserve it).

What a world![/quote]

Success with honor is quite a carrot to dangle.

Thanks, Tom. I HATE that slogan.

Joe said a few weeks ago that he felt good, and that he’ll keep going until someone tells him “Joe, that’s enough”. Maybe this is a signal from the big coach upstairs that it’s time he hand it over.

I agree with the Bear Bryant thing, but I also wonder if it’s the “dictator effect”… By that I mean, look at all the policial leaders that had complete power (and Joe’s power is pretty complete). You don’t see many successful transitions of power. The lack of a firm succession plan I think adds to his unwillingness to let go. He’d rather gut-out another year than face all the turmoil that will happen when he decides to go. That has to play in to his thinking.

There is a poll on the FOS premium board about when Joe should announce his retirement. A whopping 27% say that Joe should be able to stay as long as he wants. I am hardly alone in thinking that he should step down. I spend a nice chunk of money on PSU football every year. I cringe at the thought of 5 more years of Joe and his staff. I am thinking that many of the people that want Joe to stay as long as he wants do not have season tickets.