JoePa - Giger Press Conference Confrontation

What does everybody think? Is there a parallel to Eddie’s schedules?

Absolutely, I believe there is… They both schedule with their wallet first, and for the betterment of competition second.

In fairness to JoePa (at least a little bit) the typcial big-schol formula is to play one “top tier” opponent on a home and home, and the other games get filled with teams willing to come to your big stadium for a paycheck. BUT with the football schedules going so far in advance, it was hard to forsee the home-and-home with 'cuse falling to the point that it’s on par with the cupcakes. Of course, with no return road game this year they did kind of “mess up” something.

Bottom line is, whatever it takes to get maximum home games and maximum revenue. That’s the 1st priority.

Its the NCAA’s faulty. As soon as they allowed the 12th game, this stuff really started happening. Its just crazy how they won’t allow a play off but they have kept extending the season.

Does anyone know what the Eastern Ill., Coastal Carolina and Akrons are paid for their trip to Happy Valley? Is it usually a flat fee or is it negotiated with the different schools?

The fee is negotiated with the school.

Some notable differences:

1. Football has no playoff, so any regular season loss is damaging.
  2. BCS football factories generate most of their athletic budgets during home games and thus need to maximize that number. Seven home games is the usual minimum.
  3. The 7 home game minimum essentially only leaves two games per year for home & homes against tougher opponents. With a limited number of possible dates (September Satudays only for most), and a limited number of possible opponenents (54 BCS schools off the top of my head - couldbe off), it’s probably a more daunting task than we’d like to believe.

Given the above, it makes me wonder even more why we don’t lock up Pitt to a long term deal to play every year. Then we’d only need to schedule one other BCS school every year to maintain a legit schedule.

With the upcoming H-H against Alabama, does the visiting team receieve paycheck or is the return trip considered the payment?

The excuses are BS. They will have an open date during the season, 11 teams can only play five games. They now can schedule games past Thanksgiving weekend. I remember when Ed Czekaj was AD and scheduled Alabama and Notre Dame for 10 year contracts, Joe was very unhappy but it made his program nationally.

We should consider a top tier team on a home and home basis, a mid tier team from a quality conference for home and home alternating with the top tier program. Then the two scrimmages. It is not brain surgery, but Fran needs to learn to stop ripping off the fan base. $55.00 for a scrimmage is expensive, particularly when there are team available with open dates.

There is nothing that can be done about this season’s schedule at this point, but much like what happened with Ed’s schedule for this coming season, I hope that PSU gets the message that this schedule is unacceptable. I hope it starts with finding a way to replace Indiana State on the schedule in two years (if all of the reports of our agreement with them are true). I think the model of 2 BCS schools (on a rotating home/away basis) and two dogs (even if one of them is a solid 1AA schoold) is perfect. 7 home games a year is great, 8 is just too many.

I’ve never in my life been less excited about a game than this coming weekend’s game, however I could have blown it off if we at least had one solid team on the non-conference schedule this season. I’m really surprised at how many fans have PSU’s back on this (either arguing that everyone else is doing it or making up stories about how great Syracause was when they were scheduled). I hope that this season was an anomoly and isn’t something that we should get used to.

[quote=“pap17754, post:8, topic:90”]The excuses are BS. They will have an open date during the season, 11 teams can only play five games. They now can schedule games past Thanksgiving weekend. I remember when Ed Czekaj was AD and scheduled Alabama and Notre Dame for 10 year contracts, Joe was very unhappy but it made his program nationally.

We should consider a top tier team on a home and home basis, a mid tier team from a quality conference for home and home alternating with the top tier program. Then the two scrimmages. It is not brain surgery, but Fran needs to learn to stop ripping off the fan base. $55.00 for a scrimmage is expensive, particularly when there are team available with open dates. [/quote]

That pretty much matches my expectation above and the easiest way to accomplish that is to have Pitt on the schedule every year. They are usually at least a mid tier team and sometimes pretty darn good. Then get Alabama, Notre Dame, Miami, etc. for the other home and home. Then if the two cupcakes are at worst from the MAC, I’d be happy enough. No more Indiana State.

Pap,

I think you hit the nail on the head…you always play 3 home games and 1 away. 2 of the games are against scrubs (Temple and Akron are just fine but no freakin 1-AA teams…and every once and a while maybe play a team outside the MAC). The other 2 are against BCS teams as part of alternating H-H games. As far as I’m concerned it doesn’t even need to be a top tier team (every once and a while would be nice). What if our non-conference schedule for any given year was Temple, @ Texas A&M, Cincinnati, Tulane? Would that generate less money for the school than this year’s schedule? It is insanely frustrating b/c when you’re PSU football you can’t use the basketball excuse of needing wins to try to build a program. I was hoping (but not really wanting it to happen) this would be the year we’d go undefeated and play in the rose bowl while an undefeated Texas and and one loss Florida play in the national championship game.

Playing ~itt home and home in hoops will be OK. But NOT football. We need to back Joe on this point!

Older fans (like myself) who have seen many ~itt/PSU games home and away games MUST educate younger fans. ~itt football fans are the grossest, most foul of all creatures. I have been spit on, verbally and physically attacked at games in Pgh (~itt Statium and 3 Rivers.) We should NOT EVER play ~itt in football again. I have talked to many long time PSU fans who lived through the rivalry who feel the same way. I know of NO long time fan who wants to play ~itt again. I lived in Pittsburgh my entire life (except for my PSU years) I know the ~itt fan mentality.

[quote=“tundra, post:12, topic:90”]Playing ~itt home and home in hoops will be OK. But NOT football. We need to back Joe on this point!

Older fans (like myself) who have seen many ~itt/PSU games home and away games MUST educate younger fans. ~itt football fans are the grossest, most foul of all creatures. I have been spit on, verbally and physically attacked at games in Pgh (~itt Statium and 3 Rivers.) We should NOT EVER play ~itt in football again. I have talked to many long time PSU fans who lived through the rivalry who feel the same way. I know of NO long time fan who wants to play ~itt again. I lived in Pittsburgh my entire life (except for my PSU years) I know the ~itt fan mentality.[/quote]

Seriously? I know plenty of Pitt fans. I’ve never been spit on by any of them. I go back to the 70’s as a fan and I miss the rivalry. We don’t have that one game that both teams circle on their schedules as “THE GAME”. OSU doesn’t circle us, Michigan doesn’t, MSU doesn’t… Pitt would. And anyone that goes back to the Big Least argument needs to explain why we just finished a home and home with Syracuse if that is such a problem.

I always like football threads on this board because it cuts out the inane drivel on the FOS and similar football boards and focuses on the topic at hand. Good thoughts all around.

In looking at the future football schedules, PSU has a H-H with Alabama, followed by Virginia and then I had seen Nebraska on a few schedules, but now that’s looking like a myth. Alabama speaks for itself. Before Virginia’s shocker at UNC, they were taking on the persona of a poor man’s Syracuse outfit. They still probably won’t be much when PSU plays them. Though I like Charlottesville and Virginia as a school, would have preferred a H-H with VaTech / Miami / GaTech / UNC / FSU / Clemson / BC out of the ACC. And if not Pitt, what about West Virginia…PSU hasn’t played them since 1992. I know, we’re too much of a national program to fool around with teams in our own backyard. ::slight_smile:

I too like the idea of a rotating H-H with two decent BCS teams. I think I have to watch my new grass grow at noon this Saturday, between my son’s and daughter’s baseball practices, so I’ll probably miss watching PSU toy with Eastern Ill. (too bad Tony Romo can’t come back to QB his alma mater for this one).

[quote="tundra, post:12, topic:90"]Playing ~itt home and home in hoops will be OK. But NOT football. We need to back Joe on this point!

Older fans (like myself) who have seen many ~itt/PSU games home and away games MUST educate younger fans. ~itt football fans are the grossest, most foul of all creatures. I have been spit on, verbally and physically attacked at games in Pgh (~itt Statium and 3 Rivers.) We should NOT EVER play ~itt in football again. I have talked to many long time PSU fans who lived through the rivalry who feel the same way. I know of NO long time fan who wants to play ~itt again. I lived in Pittsburgh my entire life (except for my PSU years) I know the ~itt fan mentality.[/quote]

Seriously? I know plenty of Pitt fans. I’ve never been spit on by any of them. I go back to the 70’s as a fan and I miss the rivalry. We don’t have that one game that both teams circle on their schedules as “THE GAME”. OSU doesn’t circle us, Michigan doesn’t, MSU doesn’t… Pitt would. And anyone that goes back to the Big Least argument needs to explain why we just finished a home and home with Syracuse if that is such a problem.

Not being a wise guy but I would ask how many PSU/~itt football games you have seen in Pittsburgh?
I know PSU football does NOT have a present rival. This is better than bringing back ~itt.
Yes, maybe I have exaggerated a bit. I know many ~itt many fans who are not bad people in everyday life and/or the workplace. BUT, on PSU/~itt football game day in Pittsburgh the “mob syndrome” takes place. There are enough low lives present to cause a dangerous situation. You must this remember that THIS IS PITTSBURGH. It can be a very tough/dangerous inner city. Many of these people attending the game are not there as fans but are looking for fights/trouble. This behavior is mean spirited HATRED not a RIVALRY. Let ~itt run in it’s own direction and PSU can run in it’s own direction.

[quote="tundra, post:12, topic:90"]Playing ~itt home and home in hoops will be OK. But NOT football. We need to back Joe on this point!

Not being a wise guy but I would ask how many PSU/~itt football games you have seen in Pittsburgh?
I know PSU football does NOT have a present rival. This is better than bringing back ~itt.
Yes, maybe I have exaggerated a bit. I know many ~itt many fans who are not bad people in everyday life and/or the workplace. BUT, on PSU/~itt football game day in Pittsburgh the “mob syndrome” takes place. There are enough low lives present to cause a dangerous situation. You must this remember that THIS IS PITTSBURGH. It can be a very tough/dangerous inner city. Many of these people attending the game are not there as fans but are looking for fights/trouble. This behavior is mean spirited HATRED not a RIVALRY. Let ~itt run in it’s own direction and PSU can run in it’s own direction.

I was at the 1985 game when we threw oranges onto the field from the PSU section in the end zone. I remember a few of them rolling out to about the 40 yard line. I don’t recall any bad blood between the two fan bases back then. While I can’t comment on the rivalry after that point, the late 70’s, early to mid 80’s was a good, hard fought rivalry. The fans might not have been the best, but they were better than the WVU fans as I recall.

Say what you want, but that is what a bitter rivalry should be. Fans that just don’t like each other. Should it transgress into all-out fisticuffs, absolutely not. For us “old school” (pre-Big Ten) football fans, I think we sort of yearn for an old-school rivalry and Pitt just seems natural.

I think you would be arrested for throwing the oranges today. ;D Things have changed!
PSU football does “lack something” not having a rival. I don’t see one in the future. But I just don’t want ~itt. I like the idea of playing Temple and Syracuse again. Hope to see Maryland/Rutgers/WVU soon. This gives us one away game in driving range.

[quote=“tundra, post:17, topic:90”]I think you would be arrested for throwing the oranges today. ;D Things have changed!
PSU football does “lack something” not having a rival. I don’t see one in the future.[/quote]

4 years ago after the football team won the Orange Bowl a group of football players introduced the trophy during halftime of a hoops game at the BJC…then they rifled oranges into the crowd. I almost crapped my pants thinking I was going to get nailed. Luckily I sit near the Cappy and his cat-like reflexes.

[quote="tundra, post:17, topic:90"]I think you would be arrested for throwing the oranges today. ;D Things have changed! PSU football does "lack something" not having a rival. I don't see one in the future.[/quote]

4 years ago after the football team won the Orange Bowl a group of football players introduced the trophy during halftime of a hoops game at the BJC…then they rifled oranges into the crowd. I almost crapped my pants thinking I was going to get nailed. Luckily I sit near the Cappy and his cat-like reflexes.

I think you would be arrested for throwing the oranges today. ;D Things have changed!
PSU football does “lack something” not having a rival. I don’t see one in the future. But I just don’t want ~itt. I like the idea of playing Temple and Syracuse again. Hope to see Maryland/Rutgers/WVU soon. This gives us one away game in driving range.

Those were great times, because you’re correct when you say you’d get arrested for throwing anything onto the field. BTW, do the students still have the marshmallow fights or have they gone the way of everything else fun and exciting. :slight_smile:

After the H-H’s with Bama and UVA, PSU has an H-H scheduled with Rutgers, which will be nice. Though from the looks of things, RU could very easily go the way of Syracuse by then.

4 years ago after the football team won the Orange Bowl a group of football players introduced the trophy during halftime of a hoops game at the BJC.......then they rifled oranges into the crowd. I almost crapped my pants thinking I was going to get nailed. Luckily I sit near the Cappy and his cat-like reflexes.

;D

I was at the 1985 game when we threw oranges onto the field from the PSU section in the end zone. I remember a few of them rolling out to about the 40 yard line. I don’t recall any bad blood between the two fan bases back then. While I can’t comment on the rivalry after that point, the late 70’s, early to mid 80’s was a good, hard fought rivalry. The fans might not have been the best, but they were better than the WVU fans as I recall.

Say what you want, but that is what a bitter rivalry should be. Fans that just don’t like each other. Should it transgress into all-out fisticuffs, absolutely not. For us “old school” (pre-Big Ten) football fans, I think we sort of yearn for an old-school rivalry and Pitt just seems natural.

That’s funny. I was at a Pitt game when I threw oranges onto the field also (I’m pretty sure it was earlier than 1985 though). Right after throwing mine, I was sucker punched from behind by a Pitt fan.

I miss the game on the field but I sure don’t miss the Pitt fan base.