PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Joe Nocera on UConn and the NCAA

The great biz columnist Joe Nocera has switched to general purpose punditry at the Times:

[URL=http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/09/opinion/09nocera.html]NCAA’s Double Standard[/URL]

Or, the NCAA got so mad at UConn that they punished Baylor freshman Perry Jones.

And the NCAA is “cracking down” on college coaches using for-pay recruiting services (which ridiculously includes rivals, scout, etc) because they might videos contain non-scholastic competition that the general public wasn’t able to attend.

Funny how Calhoun asked the NCAA if he could sit out games this season, and they said he had to/could sit them out next season…

[quote=“tjb, post:1, topic:2315”]The great biz columnist Joe Nocera has switched to general purpose punditry at the Times:

[URL=http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/09/opinion/09nocera.html]NCAA’s Double Standard[/URL]

Or, the NCAA got so mad at UConn that they punished Baylor freshman Perry Jones.[/quote]
For a college basketball junkie, like myself, an article like that is disheartening. The NCCA appears to be as biased as an all white jury during the Jim Crowe era in the deep South. Maintain the power in the hands that hold it, and maintain and defend the status quo.
On second thought, perhaps that Jim Crowe era jury was less biased. Shutter!

Are we as a group going to stop going to see games or stop watching on television or stop betting on college sports? (which, in fact, should not be allowed in the first place).

I can preach all I want, and lord knows I have to many, but here I was this past Monday night, “celebrating” my big win in my big $$$ pool because UConn was winning the national title. At that moment, did I care that Calhoun’s Huscheats were winning me all this money…not really. (Hmm, sounds like the NCAA doesn’t it.) But if I didn’t have a dog in the fight, I would feel sick to my stomach that Calhoun was again walking away with another tainted championship, all the while Nance/Kellogg and their merry henchmen were lauding their wonderful accomplishment…PEEEE-YOOOOK.

I do hope there comes a time when a major program is given the death penalty with a stark warning from the NCAA that others will soon follow if they don’t clean up their act. That will truly be one shining moment for all of “college” sports. Pipe dream, I know, but one can have their dreams, can’t they?