PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Jerry Sloan

Rumored to resign at 5:00 EST.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6109031

Wow. When choosing between the 23 year head coach and the Point Guard, it’s hard to believe that the GM would can the coach with the 3rd most victories in NBA history !!

Didn’t he just get a contract extension last week?

Three days ago.

I am all for giving coaches who have actually won trophies passes. Sloan may have won the third most games in NBA history, but tell me, how many rings has he won? He has had a great career, but in pro sports you need to win something more than two conference titles in 23 years. He’ll go down as probably the greatest coach to never win a ring as a head coach [provided he doesn’t get another job, and wins one there].

If I’m the Jazz organization, I’d be more willing to side with Deron Williams in this instance. Not because Sloan is an inept coach, but because Williams has another 10+ years in this league. If the team can get the right pieces around him, then maybe they will win a title at some point in the next decade.

Although, I wouldn’t have cared if they decided to trade Deron. Then again, how do you put a price tag on one of the top three PG’s in the league? Very tough situation for Utah (similar to Melo in Denver), and they chose the younger PG over the old head coach.

[quote=“rwd5035, post:5, topic:1922”]I am all for giving coaches who have actually won trophies passes. Sloan may have won the third most games in NBA history, but tell me, how many rings has he won? He has had a great career, but in pro sports you need to win something more than two conference titles in 23 years. He’ll go down as probably the greatest coach to never win a ring as a head coach [provided he doesn’t get another job, and wins one there].

If I’m the Jazz organization, I’d be more willing to side with Deron Williams in this instance. Not because Sloan is an inept coach, but because Williams has another 10+ years in this league. If the team can get the right pieces around him, then maybe they will win a title at some point in the next decade.

Although, I wouldn’t have cared if they decided to trade Deron. Then again, how do you put a price tag on one of the top three PG’s in the league? Very tough situation for Utah (similar to Melo in Denver), and they chose the younger PG over the old head coach.[/quote]

Utah wil not win a trophie. They won’t ever get a Kobe, or a LeBron, or a Garnett to play in Salt Lake City. Sloan is, however, a proven winner. He has had 1 losing record in the past 22 years. After Molone and Stockton retired, who has been the bet player in Utah? Kirilenko? Andre Miller? Amaechi?

What do you mean by “get the right pieces around him”? Who are you going to get to coach the team? …or doesn’t that matter?

I am all for giving coaches who have actually won trophies passes. Sloan may have won the third most games in NBA history, but tell me, how many rings has he won? He has had a great career, but in pro sports you need to win something more than two conference titles in 23 years. He'll go down as probably the greatest coach to never win a ring as a head coach [provided he doesn't get another job, and wins one there].

Although, I wouldn’t have cared if they decided to trade Deron. Then again, how do you put a price tag on one of the top three PG’s in the league? Very tough situation for Utah (similar to Melo in Denver), and they chose the younger PG over the old head coach.

Utah wil not win a trophie. They won’t ever get a Kobe, or a LeBron, or a Garnett to play in Salt Lake City. Sloan is, however, a proven winner. He has had 1 losing record in the past 22 years. After Molone and Stockton retired, who has been the bet player in Utah? Kirilenko? Andre Miller? Amaechi?

What do you mean by “get the right pieces around him”? Who are you going to get to coach the team? …or doesn’t that matter?

The best player has been Deron Williams, that much is very clear. I don’t know why you are giving me stats when I acknowledge him as a great coach. Why are you so protective of Utah? You assume, or imply things I never even connected.

I think it is very obvious (although vague) what I mean by “get the right pieces around him.” The owner/GM needs to get good players, and a coach that can at least coexist with him. It sounds like Williams and Sloan’s relationship was destroyed. So they couldn’t keep them both around, and they have to make a decision. Keep the same coach that has led to zero rings in 23 years (although a bunch of winning regular seasons and two Conference titles), or the player with another ten years in him (who is one of the top three PGs in the league)?

Especially with the credentials of Sloan, it’s a very tough decision. As an organization they needed to ask themselves “what’s their more valuable asset?” Deron Williams or Jerry Sloan? It’s a tough decision, but I’d say it’s Deron Williams as well. Even if they would have chosen Jerry Sloan, I would have said well he has done very well as an NBA head coach, so it’s justifiable.

In the long run, it’s better for Utah to stick with Deron Williams, even with Jerry Sloan’s credentials.

I watched some of the press conference. I got sick to my stomach. The present owner (took over from his father) talked way too much about himself for my taste.
This situation is just very very unusual because the Utah Jazz for so many years thru Layton and Sloan supported the coaches over the whims of the players…I guess all things come to an end!

Oh, by the way. Players come and go…they are a dime a dozen! To win in the NBA for so long in Salt Lake City…amazing.

Another thing. Jerry Sloan was one of my All Time Favorite players. The youngsters on this board probaly don’t realize how good a player he was. Jerry Sloan was a big rangy 2 guard who worked harder on defense that any player I have ever seen. ANY and EVER.
The Chicago Bull back court of Lanier and Sloan was the best defensive back court I have ever seen!

As I mentioned before, I’m a Utah fan and watch approximately 70-75 Jazz games per year. Former owner, the late Larry H. Miller, made it clear Jerry Sloan would always have the unwavering support of ownership and management. Since he passed away in 2009, in many ways the hallmark of the franchise - stability - went with it.

For 20 years, Jazz had been the only team in the league where the coach annually had more job security than the players. That’s how you get players to buy into the system and play hard every night – Sloan’s coaching philosophy. For the past year, Sloan and Deron Williams have clashed more than ever - but for the first time in years Sloan didn’t feel he had management’s backing.

Sloan has had questionable substitution patterns this year and Deron has always lobbeyed for the team to run more. Their offseason aquisitions have had trouble getting acclimated to their system (extremely disciplined flex offense w/alot of pick&rolls and UCLA cuts) and Deron’s frustrations have grown. Last night this lead to a confrontation at halftime and Utah GM Kevin O’Connor and Sloan had an intense discussion after the game. While I don’t think Sloan was “pushed out” I fully believe Sloan realized he didn’t have the complete support of the organization and at this point in his career, he just didn’t feel like “fighting” with multiple players on the team (something he has done in the past, even when he took them to the finals).

I don’t think there has ever been a more intense competitor in the NBA than Sloan.
Also, the man sitting next to him, Phil Johnson, is one of the brightest basketball minds in the league. When run properly, I think their offensive sets (which I like to call Jazzbasketball) is the most effective system in the game. The game of basketball lost two great, great coaches.

And what happens when Williams opts out of his deal after next season? Then where are the Jazz?

Exactly. It’s always been a players league, just not in Utah - but now that’s no longer the case. The Spurs and Popavich may be approaching that territory, but the league is fully driven by superstars.

[quote="Pezlion, post:11, topic:1922"]And what happens when Williams opts out of his deal after next season? Then where are the Jazz?[/quote] Exactly. It's always been a players league, just not in Utah - but now that's no longer the case. The Spurs and Popavich may be approaching that territory, but the league is fully driven by superstars.

Well said, vslice! But, it has also been a good place for coaches to sit on their cans and “baby sit” for several Million per…
Kind of a “make believe” existence.