PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Jermaine?

Why isn’t this kid getting more time on this already thin roster? I personally think he’s looked okay in the few mins he’s played

I thought he’s looked and looked better every time he’s played.

As Rokk used to say…he’s doesn’t look like he’s going to **** his pants. :smiley:

I made a post in this topic, don’t know why it was deleted…

Anyway, my point is, why not give Marshall, or Bowman a chance at this point. There quite a few players that see game time that really haven’t proven they are good enough for Big 10 play. Why not?

Why.,…because Ed isn’t a very good coach. One of Marshall or Bowman should be getting some run time and have some of the other guys pick up the intensity a little bit knowing they won’t have to play 30+ minutes and they will get a breather.

My reasonable guess is that Ed doesn’t feel confident in Marshall’s ability to provide the type of impact he’s looking for. Otherwise there would be no explanation. He sees him in practice all the time so there must be things he’s doing there that discourages playing him.

I think part of the problem is that Ed wants to rest Talor from doing too much. So, he doesn’t want him running the point. Last year, I thought this was a good idea, playing Tim, Talor and Chris, as teams double teamed Talor if it was a 2 g offense. This year, not so sure, cause Tim’s not enough of a scoring threat. I’d like to see Talor at the 1 and Jermaine, Tre and hopefully Taran at the two. I think any of these combos results in more points. IMO, Talor probably wants to play the point, and almost always does for 10-12 mpg. IMO, we either go to 3g offense, or that decision has to be made in 2g offense. At the moment, Ed is sticking to Talor at the 2. Talor, as good as he is, is a pg, not really a 2.

With Talor/Jeff/AJ/DJack all leaving at years end you would think we would see some more of Jermaine or Bowman by now.

Fixed??

I always like to see a 10 deep rotation. Ed’s never done that. He goes 7-8 and seems t be afraid to give players 9 or below ANY playing time, unless he has to. The bgame he had to was the Duquense game. Bowman got his five points against Duquense at very critical points in the game.

I believe having a role and getting in acual game action will develop players more than just practice.

[quote=“TJM78, post:9, topic:1697”]I always like to see a 10 deep rotation. Ed’s never done that. He goes 7-8 and seems t be afraid to give players 9 or below ANY playing time, unless he has to. The bgame he had to was the Duquense game. Bowman got his five points against Duquense at very critical points in the game.

I believe having a role and getting in acual game action will develop players more than just practice.[/quote]

I agree. I think one of ED’s big problems is that he is always playing for “this season” as opposed to playing for the “long term good of the program”. The OOC games are where we should be playing everyone. If we lose one or two we shouldn’t, so what. Down the road, having more players with actual game experience should pay dividends in the form of winning some we shouldn’t.

I don’t know if I fully agree with that. If he always played for the current season, he would not have RSed Graham this year or Andruw Jones a few year backs when we were/are in desperate need of big bodies.

[quote="mjg, post:10, topic:1697"]I think one of ED's big problems is that he is always playing for "this season" as opposed to playing for the "long term good of the program".[/quote] I don't know if I fully agree with that. If he always played for the current season, he would not have RSed Graham this year or Andruw Jones a few year backs when we were/are in desperate need of big bodies.
Graham is injured. I believe Jones was too.
[quote="mjg, post:10, topic:1697"]I think one of ED's big problems is that he is always playing for "this season" as opposed to playing for the "long term good of the program".[/quote] I don't know if I fully agree with that. If he always played for the current season, he would not have RSed Graham this year or Andruw Jones a few year backs when we were/are in desperate need of big bodies.

Jones wasn’t injured.

DJ was injured. Graham was injured but could still be a big body for us during the B10 season. If he only plays for the current season, an unexperienced big body may be better than no one at all when we are this thin in the front court.

[quote=“TJM78, post:9, topic:1697”]I always like to see a 10 deep rotation. Ed’s never done that. He goes 7-8 and seems t be afraid to give players 9 or below ANY playing time, unless he has to. The bgame he had to was the Duquense game. Bowman got his five points against Duquense at very critical points in the game.

I believe having a role and getting in acual game action will develop players more than just practice.[/quote]

Let’s be fair and not just pile on…

very few programs in the entire nation go much beyond 8 players in a rotation

In the past, I don’t think we would want to see much of the 9th guy on the bench. A program in the shape of Penn State has a lot of ‘projects’, and you don’t want a project to see meaningful minutes very early. Andrew Jones, Skylar King, Dubois, etc

Each year, a program has either 12 or 13 scholarships. we’ve redshirted a guy about once a year, we’ve had guys injured about once a year, we’ve had transfers sitting a year. That doesn’t leave many available, and not all the ones who are available are always read, as with the names above

[quote="TJM78, post:9, topic:1697"]I always like to see a 10 deep rotation. Ed's never done that. He goes 7-8 and seems t be afraid to give players 9 or below ANY playing time, unless he has to. The bgame he had to was the Duquense game. Bowman got his five points against Duquense at very critical points in the game.

Let’s be fair and not just pile on…

very few programs in the entire nation go much beyond 8 players in a rotation

In the past, I don’t think we would want to see much of the 9th guy on the bench. A program in the shape of Penn State has a lot of ‘projects’, and you don’t want a project to see meaningful minutes very early. Andrew Jones, Skylar King, Dubois, etc

Each year, a program has either 12 or 13 scholarships. we’ve redshirted a guy about once a year, we’ve had guys injured about once a year, we’ve had transfers sitting a year. That doesn’t leave many available, and not all the ones who are available are always read, as with the names above

But when you have a team that lost two bigs to injury (Sasa and Graham) one guy to suspension who most think won’t be here next year. You better know what you got next year with 4 seniors graduating. Which leads me back to my coaching for now theory. Ed isn’t worried about next year.

As a coach you should really never coach for next year IMO. You always have to coach the team you have that year. That is why recruiting and scholarship spacing is so critical. Next year PSU will have a team with very little experience, but that is next year. PSU has also been in the boat of not having a luxury of holding scholarships. ED has to take a guy if he believes he can be an upgrade over the current roster. You can argue whether that should be the case at this point of his tenure but it doesn’t change the reality of the situation.

[quote="jjepsu92, post:16, topic:1697"]But when you have a team that lost two bigs to injury (Sasa and Graham) one guy to suspension who most think won't be here next year. You better know what you got next year with 4 seniors graduating. Which leads me back to my coaching for now theory. Ed isn't worried about next year.[/quote] As a coach you should really never coach for next year IMO. You always have to coach the team you have that year. That is why recruiting and scholarship spacing is so critical. Next year PSU will have a team with very little experience, but that is next year. PSU has also been in the boat of not having a luxury of holding scholarships. ED has to take a guy if he believes he can be an upgrade over the current roster. You can argue whether that should be the case at this point of his tenure but it doesn't change the reality of the situation.

I kind of agree, but you have to give freshmen minutes. Jay Wright has it right. Freshmen need to be able to make mistakes without repercussions. If a kid thinks that a TO or a missed shot is going to get frowned upon, and maybe get him sat down, he won’t play his best. He won’t take chances necessary to excel. Now, if a junior is doing that, making big and frequent mistakes, different story. But if you look at the mistakes Talor made, the bad shooting, what some called “crazy HS shots”, etc., this is how you find out what you can get away with. Talor had such talent on a team with such slow guards, he and Stan got the minutes to succeed. If you look at the growth Stan had yoy it’s amazing. He just about doubled his scoring if I remember correctly. But those two had to play, despite the mistakes, even though a majority on this blog insisted that either Danny or Mike had to be on the floor due to their shooting edge over those two. I think Ed is making a mistake not playing the frosh more. I think he made a mistake with Babb as well. He played too little frosh year. He quadrupled his scoring when he got the chance to play. Kids that sit on the bench too much become tentative. As much as I thought Brooks an enigma, I often suggested rather than sit him, start him, and play 20 or less mpg, play him the whole game and see if he holds up. You learn a lot about a player by heaping responsibility on him. His frosh year, Jeff played 14.9mpg. The next year, 16.1mpg. When you do this, a player is often looking over his shoulder at the coach. I’m a big proponent of baptism by fire. Find out early if the kid has what it takes. But give them a chance in game situations.

But other than playing time what does Ed sell the kids on. Plus Jermaine has had 1 full year already in the system.

???

Jermaine is a true freshman.