PennStateHoops.com Discussion Forum

Jermaine Marshall Thread

Since these threads are popping up, here is mine:

Marshall has been stuck on the pine all season until Eddie finally gave him a go against Purdue and Michigan State. The results? Favorable:

47 minutes - (9-14FG) - (5-8FT) - (3-5 from 3PT) - 26PTS - 2 REB - 1 AST - 2 STL - 1 TO - 9PF

The guy had 4 points in 4 minutes against CCSU and 6 points in 9 minutes against Maine (also 4 fouls).

Can Marshall be the new guard to the rotation that can shoot? Hopefully, yes. He can play the 3 with Battle and Frazier in the game, or play the 2 to put Frazier on the bench of give Battle a breather (like he needs those ::)) Either way, he needs to continue to see playing time if he produces the way he has so far.

None of this is breakthrough stuff, just important to recognize the emergence of player who has had to go through a RS season and then only 24 minutes of PT through the first 13 games.

Sidenote: Whats up with his high foul rate? I haven’t seen all of the last two games since Seton Hall was playing at the same time, so I don’t really know why he had 4 and 5 fouls.

Was fouling at the end of Purdue. Young guy mistakes vs MSU. Looks like he is our bench scoring.

Some of the fouls are “no respect” calls by officials. At least 2 of his blocking fouls should have been charges. He did deserve some of the dumb freshman fouls.
I do like that he isn’t afraid to take it to the hoop. Hopefully he’ll be able to continue hitting his 3s too. He needs to be more aggressive on the d boards tho. He’s getting pushed out a little too easily.

The past 2 games he’s provided the efficient scoring off the bench that Taran Buie wasn’t providing. He’s shown a solid jumper as well as the ability to put it on the floor and get to the rim. Not a great individual defender but he’s basically a 1st-year player so that’s to be expected. His development substantially enhances a somewhat bleak outlook for next year’s team.

Am I the only one who thinks Marshall looks alot bigger than the 6-4 190 Penn State lists him as?

[quote=“vslice02, post:4, topic:1751”]The past 2 games he’s provided the efficient scoring off the bench that Taran Buie wasn’t providing. He’s shown a solid jumper as well as the ability to put it on the floor and get to the rim. Not a great individual defender but he’s basically a 1st-year player so that’s to be expected. His development substantially enhances a somewhat bleak outlook for next year’s team.

Am I the only one who thinks Marshall looks alot bigger than the 6-4 190 Penn State lists him as?[/quote]

Taran was outscoring two starters when he got suspended, and was 1ppg behind Talor’s initial OOC season. Hope he’s back soon. Marshall’s doing great, and I’m thrilled he’s getting minutes and hoped he would, but I think it’s more accurate to say that he’s providing scoring that starters weren’t providing. Not sure Jermaine looks taller than 6’4", but he’s pretty strong looking.

Keep forgetting about Buie. Who knows when hes back (if ever). I hope Marshall keeps getting nice (15-20MPG) minutes.

[quote="vslice02, post:4, topic:1751"]The past 2 games he's provided the [b][u]efficient [/u] [/b] scoring off the bench that Taran Buie wasn't providing. He's shown a solid jumper as well as the ability to put it on the floor and get to the rim. Not a great individual defender but he's basically a 1st-year player so that's to be expected. His development substantially enhances a somewhat bleak outlook for next year's team.

Am I the only one who thinks Marshall looks alot bigger than the 6-4 190 Penn State lists him as?[/quote]

Taran was outscoring two starters when he got suspended, and was 1ppg behind Talor’s initial OOC season. Hope he’s back soon. Marshall’s doing great, and I’m thrilled he’s getting minutes and hoped he would, but I think it’s more accurate to say that he’s providing scoring that starters weren’t providing.

The key phrase from my post was “efficient scoring.” Buie was averaging 5.8 pts per game on 35% shooting from the floor and 23% from deep. 64 points on 72 field goal attempts is not “efficient scoring” in my book. I do hope Buie can return this season because he was playing good individual defense and he clearly has the potential to be a bigtime scorer. Penn State definitely will be a better team with him in the fold.

I don’t think he will be back. If Marshall improves D I think he can be a solid player. Nice surprise because 4 games he wasn’t even seeing the floor

Marshall looks bigger because he might be the most “cut” player on the team, more muscle content than the others. He also elevates well when he gets to the rim, reminding me of Claxton.

I really hope he continues to do well especially from three point range. I didn’t expect his long range shooting to be so good. I thought he’d be more timid about it like Frazier, but with his ups, he can elevate and shoot over some smaller guards.

I believe his defense will come along mostly because of his athleticism. He and Brooks could do wonders in pressing situations because of their arm length and hops.

Plus, the coaches aren’t afraid to let him bring the ball up the court alone. Jermaine’s been playing like I expected Taran to play this year. I hope Buie comes back and starts playing like Jermaine. Then I’ll feel a lot better about the next few years of PSU hoops.

[quote=“vslice02, post:4, topic:1751”]The past 2 games he’s provided the efficient scoring off the bench that Taran Buie wasn’t providing. He’s shown a solid jumper as well as the ability to put it on the floor and get to the rim. Not a great individual defender but he’s basically a 1st-year player so that’s to be expected. His development substantially enhances a somewhat bleak outlook for next year’s team.

Has anyone noticed how deceptive Marshal’s penetration is?

He has a very plodding, deliberate dribble. It almost looks slow and elementary, but next thing you know, he has his shoulder past his defender’s shoulder, and he takes that angle to the rim.

Each time you watch him do it, you think he won’t get that lane and he’ll need to kick it out, that “blam”, he’s laying it in.

It doesn’t look “quick” at all, nor does it look all that elusive, but it is unbelievably effective.

I can’t think of any other players I can compare it to.

[quote="vslice02, post:4, topic:1751"]The past 2 games he's provided the efficient scoring off the bench that Taran Buie wasn't providing. [b]He's shown a solid jumper as well as the ability to put it on the floor and get to the rim.[/b] Not a great individual defender but he's basically a 1st-year player so that's to be expected. His development substantially enhances a somewhat bleak outlook for next year's team.

He has a very plodding, deliberate dribble. It almost looks slow and elementary, but next thing you know, he has his shoulder past his defender’s shoulder, and he takes that angle to the rim.

Each time you watch him do it, you think he won’t get that lane and he’ll need to kick it out, that “blam”, he’s laying it in.

It doesn’t look “quick” at all, nor does it look all that elusive, but it is unbelievably effective.

I was shocked how quickly he got around his guy on the drive he had in the middle of his scoring run last game.

[quote=“MillionaireMagic, post:9, topic:1751”]Marshall looks bigger because he might be the most “cut” player on the team, more muscle content than the others. He also elevates well when he gets to the rim, reminding me of Claxton.

I really hope he continues to do well especially from three point range. I didn’t expect his long range shooting to be so good. I thought he’d be more timid about it like Frazier, but with his ups, he can elevate and shoot over some smaller guards.

I believe his defense will come along mostly because of his athleticism. He and Brooks could do wonders in pressing situations because of their arm length and hops.

Plus, the coaches aren’t afraid to let him bring the ball up the court alone. Jermaine’s been playing like I expected Taran to play this year. I hope Buie comes back and starts playing like Jermaine. Then I’ll feel a lot better about the next few years of PSU hoops.[/quote]

That surprised the hell out of me in the MSU game. I was expecting disaster when they put the ball in his hands but he came through.

[quote="vslice02, post:4, topic:1751"]The past 2 games he's provided the efficient scoring off the bench that Taran Buie wasn't providing. [b]He's shown a solid jumper as well as the ability to put it on the floor and get to the rim.[/b] Not a great individual defender but he's basically a 1st-year player so that's to be expected. His development substantially enhances a somewhat bleak outlook for next year's team.

When I watched him in HS at Red Land I posted here that I thought he was a very good player, but lacked the explosive quickness to be able to play the 2. I thought that if he grew another inch or 2 that he could be a terrific 3. I confess that I was wrong. I guess that he’s just one of those guys who goes past you even though he doesn’t look like he’s moving fast.

I’ll admit he’s proven me to be dead wrong the last couple of games. I thought there was no way he could help this team this year, given the garbage time minutes I’d seen from him prior to the last week.

More than happy to eat crow on this one. Not sure how he’s doing it, like others are saying it’s not always the prettiest or quickest looking thing, but he makes it work so far. Hopefully he can keep it up, it’s such relief to have another guy on the team who can put the ball on the floor and get in the lane once in awhile.

Be interesting to see how he handles the rest of the year as he starts showing up on scouting reports now.

Love players who have a strong “off” hand!!

Great lon…gggggg basketball built. His game reminds me of a smaller Paul Pressey.

Maybe this was mentioned in another thread, but I noticed ED’s substitute pattern at the end of the game, where it looked like Frazier for “D” and JM in for “O”. I think he’s gained ED’s confidence that he can score and be depended on on the offensive end of the floor. Now he’s going to have to prove his “D”, which I’m guessing is the harder part to prove to coach during practice.

Oh, and does anyone think that we ran the play with about 1:00 left after the TO FOR Marshall? He cut around a screen and into the lane and was looking for the ball… at the same time one of the bigs had the ball at the top of the key, but he couldn’t make the pass as his defender had it screened, so instead the ball went back out to Battle.

Did anyone else notice that? I think that says a lot about where ED thinks his scoring ability is at this point.

He used a spin move vs Purdue that was effective.
He said after that game that his high school coach told him to scrap that move.

He revived it vs Purdue.
I didn’t notice if he used it vs MSU.

I’m just happy that he can hit a trey, something that was missing if your initials weren’t TB, JB or DJ.

I’ve been surprised and very pleased with how Marshall has been playing. I thought his D was solid VS Michigan State, just had some bad foul calls. I hope he keeps his confidence up and that he continues to contribute to the team.

djones on Marshall:

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/01/jermaine_marshall_has_spent_pr.html

[quote=“Tom, post:19, topic:1751”]djones on Marshall:

http://blog.pennlive.com/davidjones/2011/01/jermaine_marshall_has_spent_pr.html[/quote]

I wasn’t sure Jones would write about PSU again this year after the Maryland debacle. Good stuff, as always.